Playwriting MFAs

dampka

post-MFA lurker lurking, but I wanted to put in a good word for the program at Smith College. I had a wonderful experience and produced a lot of work in addition to growing immensely as a writer. Their resources are incredible and funding is very fair. You also have the option to live on campus. Len Berkman and Andrea Hairston are beautiful people. If you're looking to beef up your application resume, I recommend applying to playwriting conferences if you haven't already. You'll be able to meet and network with a lot of theater folks, and you'll workshop a script. In some cases (GPTC) you get a dramaturg. Most of you probably know this, but I just wanted to throw it out there for next application cycle.

break legs etc to those still waiting. I remember the application cycle for grad-school being one of the most stressful times in my life.

Edited by Starsandsound

On 3/22/2018 at 5:43 PM, Zebras4Ever said:

Iowa does interviews, right? Or does it just offer spots?

Sorry to hear that @M96Writ : (  Fingers crossed for other programs!

from the results page it looks like people who've had interviews with iowa have had them basically as acceptances. 

I'm trying to figure out what to do about Hunter. Knowing @tba1309 got in, I'd expect rejections would have been sent out by now. I just want to know cause I got a big decision coming up!

@MFAInDissaray I'm in the same boat. If they don't reject anyone until their top candidates accept, that's annoying. Or if we're on a wait list, I wish they'd just tell us that :unsure: Also, I just discovered emoticons on gradcafe are extremely limited!

Update: I just checked the grad cafe results page and someone received notice of rejection from Hunter today. So if we are rejected, I assume we will also hear shortly.

Edited by Zebras4Ever

10 hours ago, Zebras4Ever said:

@MFAInDissaray I'm in the same boat. If they don't reject anyone until their top candidates accept, that's annoying. Or if we're on a wait list, I wish they'd just tell us that :unsure: Also, I just discovered emoticons on gradcafe are extremely limited!

Update: I just checked the grad cafe results page and someone received notice of rejection from Hunter today. So if we are rejected, I assume we will also hear shortly.

For what it’s worth, I didn’t get my official acceptance on the portal until yesterday, either. Have you checked there? So sorry you’re in limbo. Maybe there is an uncommunicated waitlist? I have no idea.

1 hour ago, Zebras4Ever said:

@TBA1982 Is this the portal website? On there my application status is "submitted."

Yeah, that's it. But if I scroll to the bottom of the page there is a decision notification with a link to a letter. Assuming you don't see that--and considering the fact that someone reported a rejection here--maybe no news is okay news? Like I said, I wonder if there is a waitlist not communicated yet. 

16 hours ago, TBA1982 said:

Yeah, that's it. But if I scroll to the bottom of the page there is a decision notification with a link to a letter. Assuming you don't see that--and considering the fact that someone reported a rejection here--maybe no news is okay news? Like I said, I wonder if there is a waitlist not communicated yet. 

@Zebras4Ever and @TBA1982 I got my rejection just now. It’s a relief, but def a bit odd timing wise...now waiting to hear back from one more school and then it’s decision time

2 hours ago, Zebras4Ever said:

Ohio update: I was told via email that final decisions might not be made for another 2-3 weeks.

was that a general email or did you reach out to them to check in? i saw on the survey page that someone had an interview with them a couple weeks ago.

1 hour ago, terrarium3528 said:

Yeah, I still haven't heard anything from Brooklyn! Has anyone else?

I know that Brooklyn notified people already of acceptance. So at this point a non-response probably either means they just haven't gotten around to rejection emails or possibly they are building a waitlist.