Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Hi Everyone - new here. I just found out about this page a few days ago... which is probably a good thing because I would have driven myself nuts! Question: If you had to decide between BU and Indiana what program which way would you go.  As you probably all know both come with a tuition waiver, 16k/yr stipend, and insurance.  BU takes 5 every two years and Indiana takes one.  I'm not going to go on and on describing  the differences in the programs but if someone who really knows  the two programs deeply and the faculty etc. which way would you lean.... 

3 hours ago, Penny Jar said:

Hi Everyone - new here. I just found out about this page a few days ago... which is probably a good thing because I would have driven myself nuts! Question: If you had to decide between BU and Indiana what program which way would you go.  As you probably all know both come with a tuition waiver, 16k/yr stipend, and insurance.  BU takes 5 every two years and Indiana takes one.  I'm not going to go on and on describing  the differences in the programs but if someone who really knows  the two programs deeply and the faculty etc. which way would you lean.... 

Hey Penny, 

For me personally, BU would take the spot. Keep in mind I didn't apply to either but BU's location and production opportunities along with a city internship just seem to set up more opportunities after the MFA. For me, programs like Iowa and Indiana are appealing on a "get a lot of work done and make some great work" but the lack of theatrical hub concerns me. I would rather take the MFA at a place where I can explore opportunities in parallel to school, and I think Boston is a rare school that offers that along with full funding. 

3 hours ago, Penny Jar said:

BU for sure - have you heard back/been accepted?!

Hi @Penny Jar, 

I'm an MFA at Iowa and have met Peter a number of times (he's an alum of the workshop here and bases some of the things at Indiana around his experience here). I'm happy to echo the ideas presented here about not being in a city hub and how that feels at the outset like you have fewer networking opportunities. While I agree to some extent with that still, it's also not fully accurate. I can't speak for Indiana (other than liking Peter immensely as a person, playwright, and teacher), but when it comes to Iowa, the department does its best to invite people as guests throughout the year for one-off seminars and for New Play Festival so that can help you gain those connections. Most recently of note, Lisa D'amour, Kia Corthron, Wendy Goldberg (director of O'Neill) and Jennie Page White (literary manager at Humana). 

On top of that, there are so many production opportunities at Iowa and there is a focus on writing and generation, over teaching you how to write. These things were really important to me because I didn't want to work on re-writing the same play for three years, or be forced to write plays like someone else. At minimum the program amounts to six new plays written over three years, but for those that are really wanting to use the time it can mean upwards of nine or ten plays over three years, with the opportunity to have them all workshopped and then at minimum two productions, with the option for three, or even four if you happen to luck out and want to pursue those. Everyone has different goals for their graduate experience, but for me, I've really enjoyed the time here. The flyover locations feel like they might not be worth it for the connections, but I have to say that all of the faculty are game to make those connections happen by who they invite for the yearly showcase and  throughout the year. 

Again, I know it's not really Indiana specific, but it might help you figure out the questions you want to ask to see what's really the right fit for what you want to do. Other of my friends in different MFA programs talk a lot about their "how to write plays" classes, or how they just tearing apart the play they wrote to get into the program for the first year, and that kind of process is not for me. My writing has improved greatly since coming here, just from having the time and space to explore what I want to do and what's speaking to me now. And now when I go back to those plays I used to apply here, I am re-writing them ten times better, but not because the program is forcing me to, but because I've learned from a cohort of geniuses who all write what they want to write.  

So anyway, for what it's worth. Either way, go to the program that speaks to what you want. Graduate school does not automatically lead to connections. And those connections don't matter if you can't write worthwhile material. So go to the place where you think you'll do your best work. That's my advice. 

(Yes, I still wish there were a more connections here, but ultimately, my cohort is awesome and supportive. And I'm pretty sure I'd feel the same way about a lack of connections no matter where I was. But the connections I have made have been very targeted. They've taken a little more time to come to something fruitful, but now when they ask for a new play that I'm working on, I have something to send instead of just another re-write of an old play.)   

@SeaLou yes I got offered a spot at BU and I'm a finalist for Indiana. 

Thank you @Boxedwine that was helpful and informative.  Still no news on Iowa - have other people heard from them? If I get into Iowa I may have more questions for you.I think  Iowa is on spring break now right?

The thing is I LOVE  Peter so much! 

I found out today that at BU you are really only there your first two years. Your last year is not funded and you just have to be there for 5 weeks for the rehearsal and performance of you thesis play - I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing though since I want to generate the biggest body of work possible while I have the time to and while I'm being afforded that luxury through a stipend.

Also... @Boxedwine - is Iowa not fully funded? I was under the impression that it was.  If so, do you also get a living stipend? 

I just went deep into gradcafe and found out (I think through another one of your posts) that Liz Engelman is the head of playwriting at Austin! I got the emerging artists residency at Tofte Lake in Sept and I had no idea of the connection until now.  That's fun! Hopefully whatever school I end up at will let me go to that too so I can still go and spend a week with her there. 

Hey @Penny Jar

We are on Spring Break so I wouldn't expect to hear anything till next week, or more realistically two - three more weeks. The range tends to be late March to early April for notification. But I wish you luck!  

It is fully funded. We pay zero fees or tuition. Here's the nitty gritty, though. It's not a huge a living stipend. 

You get paid for teaching at the university. It's a 25% appointment for incoming students with very few exceptions. This amounts to a little over $800 every month, or about $7,200 for the academic year. While that doesn't seem like a lot, Iowa City is cheap! (I came from Seattle so I think it's cheap.) Some of us do have jobs outside the department in addition to that, though, myself included. There are people who make it work without. I have a large one bedroom with a living room and office and I pay $775. I had some money saved up from Seattle, I work another job, and I really wanted the privacy of a one bedroom, cause I'd never been able to afford to live alone before. However, people who have roommates/two bedroom apartments pay much much less for housing. There are definitely two bedroom situations for about $800 a month. To each their own. 

There are opportunities to teach more than a 25% appointment (I'm crossing my fingers for one next year) but they are few and far between. Everyone wants them and there's not enough money for everyone to have one. But like I said, a lot of us have jobs outside the department and make it work that way. Because we do have so much time to write, it's easy for the playwright's schedule to figure out another job that won't demand too much of your time. 

I love Iowa for a lot of reasons. The money isn't great, and I make my voice heard about that often, but the time to write and production opportunities are amazing. Iowa is often overlooked by MFA seekers because it's not in a big city, but because it's not in a big city, it's actually pretty easy to focus on writing your ass off, learning how to teach, and working intensely on production. And again, because it's not the most expensive city, it's easy to find work and make a smaller stipend work without living an hour away.

On 3/12/2018 at 9:07 PM, LordQuas said:

What do you guys do in your freetime?

Coming in late to this, but I'm totally spiraling with anxiety about this year so, hey, let's chat (lol). Besides writing, I watch a lot of movies and trashy TV. My day job is in theatre admin, so if I'm not writing I'm just trying to unwind. Also getting bitten by my cat (she's a year old and still in wrestle-kitten mode). I'm also really in to makeup, skin care, yoga, and running. How about you?

1 hour ago, AS90 said:

How about you?

Yeah besides writing I watch a lot of TV. I've got a pet cockatiel who's pretty cool but also a little shithead somethimes. I'm still in undergrad so that takes up most of my time. On breaks I work a variety of driving jobs. Not cool driving jobs mind you: Uber, pizza delivery, an auto-broker, that sort of thing. I'm into hiking and other outdoorsy stuff. Sometimes I do standup comedy, but I'm honestly not a huge fan, I enjoy comedy writing quite a bit more. Who's next?

On 3/15/2018 at 11:51 AM, LordQuas said:

Yeah besides writing I watch a lot of TV. I've got a pet cockatiel who's pretty cool but also a little shithead somethimes. I'm still in undergrad so that takes up most of my time. On breaks I work a variety of driving jobs. Not cool driving jobs mind you: Uber, pizza delivery, an auto-broker, that sort of thing. I'm into hiking and other outdoorsy stuff. Sometimes I do standup comedy, but I'm honestly not a huge fan, I enjoy comedy writing quite a bit more. Who's next?

I am finishing my undergrad as well so I'm relatively busy with that.  I work as a lighting tech on campus and I tend to just read poetry, watch movies, do yoga, go hiking, that kind of stuff for fun.  For all of you who have completed your undergrad, what did you do during the period before applying to grad school?  I'm feeling a little lost right now with what to do due to not hearing anything from the schools I have applied to.

Congratulations @TBA1982! That’s awesome. I’ve been waitlisted at Boston, no other new news to report this week.

@M96Writ a lot of people take time off between the BA/bfa and MFA - in fact a bunch of programs I’ve researched openly say their average student age is late 20s - mid 30s. That’s not to say that you won’t get in right out of college but from what I’ve seen, looking at current mfa writing students’ bios, etc. I would say less than a 1/3 seem like they’re coming straight from undergrad. There’re no hard and fast rules for any of this stuff so if you dont get in this year but want to go, keep trying. This is my 2nd time applying to 10 programs and I’ve been interviewed/waitlisted a bunch but only accepted at 1. I come from a non-traditional background so my work resume is extensive but my theater resume is sparse. If you don’t get in this year, I suggest making sure you continue to beef up you theater resume. This past year I wrote a new full length play and took a writing class, then arranged a reading of one of my plays - I think all this stuff helped demonstrate that even though my day job wasn’t theater, I’m still very motivated and working on my writing. It would be great to get a job in a theater or something to do with writing, but if you can’t manage that, make sure to keep plugging away.

I stepped away from theater for about 5 years, so if you do take time away and come back, you can still get into a program. Also make sure to stay in contact with theater professors so they know what you’re up to, what you’ve been adding to your resume, etc. and through whatever you’re doing, find new people who might write you letters of recommendation too. I highly recommend taking a writing course or joining a writers group if that kind of thing motivates you.

if you end up taking time off from school, it’s not a bad thing. it’s definitely a bit scary going from school to something else. But you also learn a lot about yourself and the world and what you want to write about by not being in a classroom. 

@LordQuas I’ve heard all sorts of things about brown and Yale, like to get in there you need to have had a pretty prestigious production of your work done, like at a regional theater, and you need a letter of recommendation from someone who’s very prestigious. I’ve also heard that if they like your writing enough you can still get in without that stuff. I assume the truth is somewhere in the middle - they’re looking for serious/distinguished candidates but different things can show that. I don’t know about grades - but they are ivy leagues and they are looking for people who can handle the program so I’m assuming if someone has like a C average, it’s not gonna help their chances, unless they went to school a long time ago in which case it matters less.

Hey everyone,

Hope everyone's doing well. I wonder if anyone besides TBA has heard from Hunter? Naturally, I assume not hearing back at this point means no, but I'm just curious as to why we wouldn't get decisions even after people have been accepted. The application was mad confusing so part of me thinks I filled it out wrong.

Also, though I got into one program and waitlisted from another so far, I am interested in hearing more about other programs.

For one, before this process, I'd never heard of Arkansas. How did you all hear about the program? Have a good evening!

13 minutes ago, MFAInDissaray said:

I'd never heard of Arkansas. How did you all hear about the program?

I actually can't remember how I came across it. I applied really late so I was frantically looking all over for places that were still taking appies. That's actually my number 1 right now and hearing that Zebra got an interview and I haven't heard anyhting makes me feel like a rejection is coming. But on the bright side I did get waitlisted today from another school, but for poetry. 

5 minutes ago, LordQuas said:

I actually can't remember how I came across it. I applied really late so I was frantically looking all over for places that were still taking appies. That's actually my number 1 right now and hearing that Zebra got an interview and I haven't heard anyhting makes me feel like a rejection is coming. But on the bright side I did get waitlisted today from another school, but for poetry. 

Hey, congratulations! That's still very impressive. Waitlisting in my mind is nearly as good as an acceptance. These programs are so small you never know what arbitrary things keep one person on the waitlist and another person off. 

Hi @MFAInDissaray 2 years ago I applied to the more famous programs and didn't have too much success, so this past fall I did deep dive research to figure out where to apply that has funding but is not as competitive. I started from this master list of programs - 

https://pwcenter.org/playwriting-toolkit/graduate-programs-playwriting-dramaturgy

I looked at every single school on that list (some of the info is a little out of date, but it's mostly accurate) - it's a mixture of full-time residential and part-time non-residential programs. I think it's basically every playwriting MFA program in the country, plus some screenwriting. from that, I created a list of basic info on every single school, like who requires GRE scores (couldn't apply to any of those), approximate cost of application, etc. so I could easily see where I should and shouldn't apply.  I'll try to spruce up my list in the next month or so and post it here as a resource for people applying next year.

Arkansas seems to be a sleeper hit - it's got good funding and seems to have a lot of really cool opportunities and an up-and-coming theater community. It only accepts 3 people a year (or every other year? their website says every other year, but they also say they're taking applications for Fall 2019, so something must have changed). It's not as well known and prestigious, but it seems like a good place to do good work. I have an interview this week where I'll learn more and can report back.