Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Oh hey everyone. 

Congrats to @faro555 for your interviews. That's awesome. 

I applied to UCSD, USC, Brooklyn, Indiana and Texas State. I have an offer at Texas State, but am torn about waiting or not. Their program is growing and I know they have a good theatre program overall (their BFAs are great, I think their MFA in directing is gaining traction, etc), but you know, it's not any of the other schools I applied for. Any thoughts or opinions on the program? 

Oh, I'm in Austin, too. 

So Yale has started to update the application status cuz I just got a rejection letter from them. I didn't expect much but still, it was a little sad that the first response I got for this application season is a rejection letter at such an early stage.

@SeaLou I really think you should wait a little bit more because it is still so early and who knows what will happen next month. Anyway, good luck to you all. 

Hmmmm my Yale status still says "submitted." Did anyone's ever change to "under review" at some point? I just checked since folks are getting rejections...I had some weird issues with my application and now I'm wondering if it ever even got reviewed. Lol.

Hi all! I was on this forum back in 2016, but I didn't apply last year so I haven't visited in a while. I decided to try again this year, applied to 10 schools. I decided to skip Yale and Brown all together because I think I just have no chance there. Instead I applied to a smattering of well-known and not as well-known places -

Ohio, Iowa, Hunter, Northwestern, Boston, UCSD, Temple, Arizona State, Arkansas, and CSU-LA (but I am having some application issues with that one)

So far I've been asked to do a short 10 minute interview with Northwestern and haven't heard from any other schools. Anyone lurking who's had experience interviewing at Northwestern and can tell me what it's like? I saw some old posts from @esfg1 who seems to have had an interview there.

I see UCSD is already interviewing, so I'm guessing I'm not in the running there. 

Good luck everyone! It seems a quieter board this year.

Hey y'all! Long time lurker first time poster. I didn't apply to many programs this year, just NYU and a new low-residency TV writing program through Stephens College. I was accepted to Stephens which I'm very excited about, but just heard word that NYU wants to set up a 20-minute Skype interview. Anyone had an interview with NYU before and know what to expect?

4 hours ago, detroitatheart said:

Hey y'all! Long time lurker first time poster. I didn't apply to many programs this year, just NYU and a new low-residency TV writing program through Stephens College. I was accepted to Stephens which I'm very excited about, but just heard word that NYU wants to set up a 20-minute Skype interview. Anyone had an interview with NYU before and know what to expect?

Yep. I applied to NYU two years ago and am a current student. I think I posted about it around late February 2016 but happy to answer any questions. Who is your interview with?

On 2/17/2018 at 3:03 AM, Draconianmoon said:

Hi all! I was on this forum back in 2016, but I didn't apply last year so I haven't visited in a while. I decided to try again this year, applied to 10 schools. I decided to skip Yale and Brown all together because I think I just have no chance there. Instead I applied to a smattering of well-known and not as well-known places -

Ohio, Iowa, Hunter, Northwestern, Boston, UCSD, Temple, Arizona State, Arkansas, and CSU-LA (but I am having some application issues with that one)

So far I've been asked to do a short 10 minute interview with Northwestern and haven't heard from any other schools. Anyone lurking who's had experience interviewing at Northwestern and can tell me what it's like? I saw some old posts from @esfg1 who seems to have had an interview there.

I see UCSD is already interviewing, so I'm guessing I'm not in the running there. 

Good luck everyone! It seems a quieter board this year.

Hey! I applied to Arkansas and Arizona State as well. Seems like we're the only two on here. I haven't seen anyone talk about them. All I know is that Arizona State hasn't made any decisions yet.

Edited by LordQuas

10 hours ago, Draconianmoon said:

@LordQuas Oh cool! How did you hear about Arizona?

I've been emailing one of the guys there about an issue with my application. It's taken care of now, but somewhere in the midst of back and worth emails he hinted at that they haven't made any decisions yet. 

On 2/24/2018 at 8:47 AM, detroitatheart said:

Hey, congrats! I went to Stephens College for my BFA. :) 

1 hour ago, terrarium3528 said:

Has anyone heard from Yale? Someone in the directing thread said that a playwright friend of theirs had been notified of an interview, so I'm starting to lose hope...

Don't trust rumors. I called Yale playwriting. No one has been notified yet of interviews. This won't happen until March. Latest March 9th.