Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Thanks, everyone! Still in shock.

@TBA1982 I am holding off on confirming with Brown until I head to Yale and get a vibe for that program. I am still interviewing for Columbia with David tomorrow, which feels a little strange because I don't intend to give up Brown's full ride for that program.

Best of luck everyone. What an incredibly arduous process.

i would tell David that you've been offered a spot at brown. You might be able to get a more generous offer from Columbia. Especially if you're leaning towards brown you really don't have anything to lose. Good luck and congratulations!

@jnp809 Sorry to hear about the rejection. Which schools are you still waiting on? 

And no word yet from UCSD for me. Saw some more notifications on MFA Draft and gradcafe results. Wondering if UCSD is doing waves of notifications? Anyone have any experience with them? 

Also woke up to a rejection email from UCSD the other morning. Probably the coldest form email I've ever received. At any rate, still waiting on Columbia (I know they've already sent out their interview notifications so I'm just waiting for the rejection confirmation), Northwestern (had a Skype interview the other day that I feel uneasy about), and Carnegie Mellon. 

I would love any interview tales you have and what questions you were thrown. Just curious how these things go down aside from the obvious questions about why you, why here, why now. Anyone? 

@SeaLou I'm still waiting on Austin and brown though I know those are rejections. And I'm remaining cautiously hopeful about Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, Brooklyn, and hunter.  Fingers crossed that you get a phone call from Naomi izakaya soon!

Edited by jnp809

@jnp809

Did you end up talking to Peter at Indiana about the invite only situation this year? And I know what you mean about Austin. Rejected already by Michener and haven't heard from the theatre department but assuming it's a no. 

I did talk to Peter. He said that I submitted my application before they changed the policy on the website so they are considering me this year. We'll see what happens. 

Also stupid autocorrect I meant to say Naomi izuka!  Can't figure out how to edit the post on my phone

@jnp809 That's good to know. I really feel like Indiana is undervalued. If you're looking for a one on one environment, paid tuition, and a stipend more competitive than Iowa or Ohio, it's a good option. Having had beers with Peter I can also say he's a super great guy. 

Hey all! Does anyone know if UCSD has already done interviews? Seems like they're sending out rejections, but I haven't heard anything from them yet. Got my Brown rejection on Friday, too, but found out recently I got into UCLA. Not sure if it's going to be worth the debt. Still waiting to hear from Brooklyn College. Wish they'd hurry!

3 minutes ago, faro555 said:

Hey all! Does anyone know if UCSD has already done interviews? Seems like they're sending out rejections, but I haven't heard anything from them yet. Got my Brown rejection on Friday, too, but found out recently I got into UCLA. Not sure if it's going to be worth the debt. Still waiting to hear from Brooklyn College. Wish they'd hurry!

Congrats on the acceptance! And no, I don't know. Haven't heard anything either, didn't get a rejection. 

Thanks for the info on Indiana @SeaLou  I have to admit that I applied not knowing much about the program.  Peter said that he would be in touch with me for the next few weeks but that was about five weeks ago so not sure if that means a rejection is coming my way.

In other news, I got two e-mails from different people at Hollins today asking me to submit and telling me that they will extend the deadline for me.  So I think they are desperate for applicants, in case anyone is wishing they had applied for a low res program.  Since all I've gotten so far are rejections, it's tempting for me to apply.  But my work really gets busy in the summer so I don't think a low res program would allow me to keep my job which is it's whole appeal.

Yeah, not so interested in low res but thanks for the info, @jnp809

Also what the what San Diego and Iowa. Ain't heard a thing from UCSD and it seems nobody else has based on anxiety driven internet searching. Probably going to give San Diego a ring this week. 

@SeaLou for ucsd i think no news is probably good news since I too haven't seen any interviews or acceptances only rejections. For Iowa I've been rejected pretty consistently on 4/1 so I'm sure I have that to looks forward to in a couple of weeks. Good luck with everything!

19 hours ago, SeaLou said:

Yeah, not so interested in low res but thanks for the info, @jnp809

Also what the what San Diego and Iowa. Ain't heard a thing from UCSD and it seems nobody else has based on anxiety driven internet searching. Probably going to give San Diego a ring this week. 

I caved and emailed UCSD. They said if you didn't get a rejection, you're still being considered. Which makes me think they're choosing who to interview right now.

Hi everyone! 

I'm new to this forum. I applied for residencies this year, and I got turned down by Jerome (womp womp) but still waiting to hear back from Huntington in Boston. Has anyone heard anything or did you apply? 

Good luck everybody!

@jnp809

This year, more than any other, I've seen the benefits of reaching out. Especially on MFA draft. I would go ahead and reach out. It never hurts. Give them a call. 

Also those curious about UCSD, I heard UCSD has offered it two people. One has said yes and the other is unknown. So if no rejection you (we) are out of ten under consideration. 

43 minutes ago, SeaLou said:

@jnp809

This year, more than any other, I've seen the benefits of reaching out. Especially on MFA draft. I would go ahead and reach out. It never hurts. Give them a call. 

Also those curious about UCSD, I heard UCSD has offered it two people. One has said yes and the other is unknown. So if no rejection you (we) are out of ten under consideration. 

@SeaLou Good to know. Did you hear that on MFA Draft or by calling them?

@Boseph16

I haven't heard anything and haven't seen anything posted elsewhere about them being in contact. You are right, judging by past results, they typically reach out today/by now. 

@faro555

I had asked about updates on MFA Draft and someone had already called them and they received that info. 

Has anyone heard anything about Northwestern? I had a Skype interview on March 10 but haven't heard anything since. I know there were about 26 others (according to the Doodle scheduler we signed up with) who had interviews that weekend. At what point is it OK for me to call them?