Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Hi all! Just got word that I was accepted to UNM from their grad admissions department. Waiting to hear from Iowa to see if I'm accepted there, but if not I'll be going to UNM. 

Quick question:

Does anyone know if people have been accepted to Brooklyn? I have received no rejection, no waitlist email and no acceptance email. I am keeping my hopes low but I was wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding acceptance? Good luck to everyone else still waiting and congrats to those who have been accepted! It's amazing knowing we are one step closer to changing the world :)  

Just got this e-mail from Charles at Ohio

"I have been reviewing applications and am particularly interested in your material but have a couple of questions for you. Do you have time for a phone conversation either on Friday, April 31, or sometime next week? "

I have so many feelings.  What does it mean?!  But beyond all, thrilled to get some response from a school that isn't a cold rejection.  

5 hours ago, jnp809 said:

Just got this e-mail from Charles at Ohio

"I have been reviewing applications and am particularly interested in your material but have a couple of questions for you. Do you have time for a phone conversation either on Friday, April 31, or sometime next week? "

I have so many feelings.  What does it mean?!  But beyond all, thrilled to get some response from a school that isn't a cold rejection.  

Whatever it means, it sounds good! It sounds like he likes your work and wants to talk about it. Who knows what's after? But that's great! Congrats 

I wish @TBA1982!  Sorry!

I had a really great talk with Charles at Ohio.  He started off asking if I was still interested in the program and was surprised when I said yes.  He said that he thought I'd have three other offers from other schools by now and said that's a testament to how much he liked my work, which was really really nice to hear.  Honestly we spent most of the time with me asking questions and him selling me on the program, which he definitely did.  It sounds like it could be a perfect fit.  At the end of the interview, he brought up how small the town was that the school was in and asked me if I thought I could live there for three years.  I said that I definitely could but that if he offered me a place, I would want to visit first before accepting.  He responded by saying they are definitely interested in having me in the program and that I should visit.  So I am flying out next week, to see the last madness of the year and hopefully get some clarification.  I wish I had asked him if I'm in.  It sounds like my shot is good but I have no idea how many people they are talking to and inviting out there for the three slots.  

Hi there! So far I've been a hardcore lurker of this thread, but now that I've finally got some news I'd love some advice. I've just been accepted to Rutgers. The program sounds amazing, but I'm also waitlisted at NYU and while I think I'd probably enjoy the program itself at Rutgers much more is that more valuable than the name of NYU and the possible connections associated with it? I know that I'm only waitlisted there though so if I do happen to get in I will probably not receive any funding.

Also congratulations to everyone for going through this crazy process and surviving!

Edited by TalkingChickpea

Hi @writr at this moment I'm only considering Ohio. I decided not to apply to nyu or Rutgers due to financial concerns.  @TalkingChickpea That's a tough choice. my two cents is that if you feel you will be happier at Rutgers you should take that without worrying about reputation. What matters is which program you think will help you reach your potential as a writer. My guess is that if you did get into nyu you would be paying much more than 13k a year.  So if Rutgers feels like a good fit, i think you should go for it!

@Pugs I have to respectfully disagree. If @TalkingChickpea is planning on living in Brooklyn then I think they will still have access to nyc connections. For me the nyu name is not worth tens of thousands of dollars. But that's based on my financial situation. Obviously everyone has different needs and priorities. 

After visiting Rutgers, I decided it's perfect for me! I'm stoked! They only take two students so they are really invested in you and you are given a production a year, compared to NYU where I wouldn't have any and would be one of many students.

Anyone hear from Iowa? Also I know UCSD has already decided but still haven't heard anything. Anyone else in the same boat? 

Also I had an interview with Ohio yesterday. Going back to refreshing my inbox constantly. 

Edited by SeaLou
Clarity