Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Another Ohio update. I had a long phone chat with Erik Ramsey today. He'd emailed me earlier in the day to set that up, and also invite me to visit campus. (Gonna go in two weeks.) Talking with Erik was really helpful. After responding to some questions from him, we covered subjects like OU's relationship to the Kennedy Center, teaching load and the kinds of classes playwrights teach (or TA), stipends, and OU's timeframe for making offers. I'd assumed all students at Ohio had full free rides, but this doesn't seem quite the case. It seems that most of the 3 years are quite well-funded (and Charles explained to me yesterday how in the summers, there is grant money playwrights can apply for to go to research for a play, etc.). But there can also be semesters (more likely in the first year) where tuition is covered but the stipend on top of that is on the smaller side. In those cases, I'm not sure how students manage, but I'll have the chance to learn more about this in a couple weeks when I visit and talk to students.

A big part of OU's program is Madness -- a weekly event where all the playwrights have a 5-7 minute play performed. Madness is produced by students and seems (from what I've heard) hugely popular on campus, drawing large audiences and talent from others in the theatre programs (actors especially). I think this is happening the Friday night that I'll be there. Yesterday Charles told me that when playwrights leave OU, in addition to their other plays they've written something like 70 Madness scripts, some of which then form the basis for 10-minute plays. Charles really emphasized writing in production -- i.e. writing a first draft that then gets honed via rewrites during rehearsals. I've been through this before with productions of my own work and get why it's emphasized at OU.

My understanding is that OU is trying to notify applicants by the end of March, though Erik said this could happen sooner or even a little later. So I'm waiting, and have the typical anxiety, but am really glad to be visiting the program (on my own dime -- they can't offer funding for that) -- something I'd certainly want to do before committing if accepted. As I've written Charles and Erik, I have a good feeling about the program. (This comes in part from reading posts by past applicants and current students at OU here on GradCafe.)

Hope this is helpful to current/future applicants. I'll share anything else I learn. Until soon ...

Has anyone who interviewed at CMU, heard yet? Had a nice convo a couple of weeks ago and was put in touch with current students, but haven't heard a thing. I'm out of town so I can't check my mail, but I assumed I would get an email either way as to a change in my status. I'm pretty anxious to hear.

Nothing here, @Barista. I didn't interview but did send a second script at Rob's request. That was on Feb. 26, so not sure what that means. I probably should check my P.O. box, which I haven't done in a bit ...

Edited by newengland1

@asimpleton How did your interview with SAIC go? I was recently admitted with substantial (but still partial) funding and I had to decline, which felt awful. I was really, really excited about the program and the school, but even with their most generous offer I just can't swing it. Disappointing for both sides it seems... But hopefully someone can use that spot and funding!

@newengland1 it's neat to see such a direct result from my withdrawal from consideration at Ohio. Again, that's a program about which I was terribly excited but knew that the offer wouldn't be more than what I chose to accept. I'm surprised to hear that Ohio playwrights aren't fully-funded, as for some reason I had assumed that as well, but I guess it's good that I went with my gut. I hope you get in and get a good offer!

About the MFA at U Arizona -

I work as both a playwright and a dramaturg, with heavy emphasis on research and devising in my development of new work. I also have a background in theatre history and critical analysis. The new MFA at Arizona is focused on these areas with opportunities to develop your own work and support the development of the work of others. In the months since I've written my SOP, I have started to realize that my contribution to our field could potentially be in hugely supporting the development of new plays in a literary/dramaturgical/administrative role, not just behind a desk but hitting the deck. While I've still got plays to make, I feel like there's more and monstrous work to be done in heightening the status of the new play in the American Theatre. I want to be a part of that.

So anyway, that's why I pulled out from everywhere else, in addition to full-funding and benefits, a fellowship, and competitive teaching assignments. Woof.

With that out of the way, I just finished reading for festivals and I'm hungry for more work to devour - so if anyone needs a fresh set of eyes on their plays now or henceforth, HMU (same goes to you future applicants lurking and sifting back to guess at notification dates). Some of the best work I've been reading has been coming out of MFAs, so keep rocking it my friends!

Interview went well, I think. I will know by the end of the week. I was also told even if I wasn't accepted, it wasn't a rejection because slots often go to other finalists, for whatever reason.

But I did find out the program was fully funded with a 16K stipend, which is given due to an assistantship (<20 hour work week). Because they accept one person a year, the whole track is based around the playwright's needs. 

Still waiting on Iowa and UCLA. I'm assuming no Ohio based on the lack of contact. 

@SeaLou That's great! Congratulations. 

My update: I'm the alternate at UCSD. I had an interview with Naomi two weeks ago. I thought I was out of the running since I had heard folks had been flown out and I know of one person who had already been offered a spot by the time I talked to Naomi. But she told me that she doesn't fly everyone out for an interview and she doesn't admit on the same timeline. That was surprising, but hey, I'll take it. It's unlikely I'll get in unless the other person who was offered a spot drops, but it's still nice to be considered. And Naomi's email to me was really lovely. 

Still nothing from Iowa. Anyone know someone there who could tell us what's up? 

Re: Iowa

Has anyone reached out to faculty at the program about finalists/interviews? Bryon Winn, the director of theatre there, works at the theatre where I'm currently interning. He picks the directing MFAs, but he might know about playwriting... I could see where they are on deliberations. 

@Boxedwine I was also offered an alternate position at UCSD. It probably is very unlikely we'll be invited over, but definitely an accomplishment in itself. Congratulations again to everyone on their positive results! Looks like I won't be attending school this Fall, so I look forward to talking with you guys again in the future.

@lrb0192 CONGRATS. I feel pretty good about it overall. That program is amazing. And it sounds like they had more applications than they have had in a while. We made it to whatever the top was. It still sucks not to be going some place, but Naomi is a great ally. She's also teaching this summer at Sewanee. So I thought I'd apply for a scholarship there. 

Congrats, everybody! So many courageous people here, regardless of acceptances. 

Joining the chorus of UCSD alternates--and now knowing there are at least 3 of us, I wonder how that works? Is this like a waitlist? My sense from Naomi was that the two admitted had accepted their offers, but perhaps I'm reading that wrong? Either way, it's been fantastic to get to know the school and the lovely people there. @Boxedwine, hope to see you at Sewanee! I'm thinking the same way. :-)

Also still waiting on another waitlist at UT Austin, and considering throwing an application at one more--does anyone know anything about the University of New Mexico program? It's not one that I'd heard much about, but it's close to family for me, so worth considering perhaps. If nothing manifests this go-round, I'll probably wait and apply again after getting so close this time around. 

The AGONY of having been a finalist in so many places, not outright accepted to any, still not knowing if I'll get in, and still hoping despite sinking suspicions that it might be another year for me as well...

So -- is anyone thinking of applying to Hunter? I believe the deadline is 4/1. Annie Baker and Branden Jacobs-Jenkins will be teaching there again next year. I did an MA in the same department and know many of the MFA graduates, some of whom have had serious successes after graduating. CUNY tuition is VERY reasonable, and classes are held after 5pm, so many students are able to work full- or part-time while in school. Just thought I'd throw it out as an option for anyone who's not yet in at a place they're excited about since there's still more than a week to submit.

Edited by newengland1

@greenchile I hear you. I've been a finalist at almost all the places I applied, but haven't yet been accepted outright. I'm trying to put a positive spin on it as much as possible. But it's a little disheartening for sure. 

In that vein, Iowa emailed me this morning. I'm a finalist.  They are interviewing people this week. Decision to come next week. 

I'm excited, but see above, very skeptical of getting in at this point considering how the rest of the process has gone for me. But I'm gonna give it my all. 

Hunter is not a possibility for me, @newengland

Too expensive. But amazing faculty. 

It's been fucking amazing being apart of this community and seeing all the support. 

Break legs during your interview

@Boxedwine I feel good about Iowa and I'll keep sending positive vibes. 

I also know a lot of ppl @ Hunter and it seems like a great program so if money isn't a HUGE issue I def recommend applying it was on my list this year too. I know someone who might not be taking a spot at UT so there's still hope in that program @greenchile will keep fingers crossed for you as well. 

Congratulations to everyone with happy news!

For everyone else, I feel you - it doesn't look good for me either. Out of the 11 programs I applied to, I heard nothing from anywhere until tonight - I've been waitlisted at Boston University. BU is one of my top choices so I am excited but also sad, since I doubt anyone accepted will give up a spot, and if they do, maybe I'm not even at the front of the waitlist. The agony!

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear!

Congrats to everyone getting acceptances and those being wait-listed.  Each of these programs have a ton of competition.

I wanted to give everyone a long overdue update on the financial award I got from Columbia.  I got a 20k scholarship, which is definitely not enough money to cover the almost 60k tuition so I'm pretty sure I'm going to turn them down. 

A little bit about me, my husband and I both have decent paying jobs so there was no way I was going to get financial aid, but if someone else has greater "financial need", it might work out for them.  Hope that info helps.

I'm in at Iowa. Art didn't hold me in suspense. He told me within the first five minutes of the phone call that I was in and so the "interview" was more or less a chance for me to ask questions about the school and for him to confirm my interest in the program. I haven't gotten the official letter with the financials, yet. But I'm still pretty stoked about it. 

A friend of mine was also offered admission at Iowa, but they will likely not be taking it because they also got offered a different, big opportunity. But Art wanted them to wait to make up their mind until they gets the financials. So if you're on the waitlist for Iowa, there will probably some movement there in the next week or so. 

My final score card: 

UT Austin Michener and T&D - interviewed, rejected

Yale - interviewed, rejected

UCSD - interviewed, rejected

Brown - rejected

Iowa - accepted 

I hope that those of you still waiting to hear from programs, hear soon. This whole process has been very stressful and has really fucked with my writing motivation. So I don't envy you if you're still in limbo. Good luck out there.