Playwriting MFAs

dampka

@eurialo I'm applying for the first time. as for Brown the website says it takes up to 8 weeks for them to notify everyone and interview is not mandatory. their application deadline is Jan 10 so without an interview request i'm still kinda holding out for it... until March 10... I guess... ??? 

13 hours ago, CultyCoolSchool said:

I wondered if anyone applied to university of Arizona’s MFA creative writing program. Have you heard anything? I specifically wonder what it shows you when you got to the app page cause mine changed but doesn’t show a decision.

Yeah I also applied to Arizona. Since their deadline was this month, I don't know when we'll hear back or what their process is like. I just know that I haven't really seen anyone on the forum posting about the program. Did anyone here also apply to Arizona or have you applied in previous years?

1 hour ago, zayzay said:

Yeah I also applied to Arizona. Since their deadline was this month, I don't know when we'll hear back or what their process is like. I just know that I haven't really seen anyone on the forum posting about the program. Did anyone here also apply to Arizona or have you applied in previous years?

I haven’t applied to university of Arizona before: yay!’ We’re buddies in this..I don’t know what ya mean tho here:

what do you mean their deadline was this month? It was dec 15! I ask haven’t seen anyone write much about the program and I was surprised 

16 hours ago, PlayWitch said:

Has anyone else had their NYU interview? How did it go? Mine was weirdly informal. My interviewer, though super nice, had not read any of my materials. Is that normal for NYU? 

I just had mine and my interviewer was nice as well! It was supper informal. He didn’t write down anything at all and I was told that’s normal because ppl are more focus

16 hours ago, PlayWitch said:

Has anyone else had their NYU interview? How did it go? Mine was weirdly informal. My interviewer, though super nice, had not read any of my materials. Is that normal for NYU? 

I had my interview just minutes ago. It was informal and he didn’t write down anything but I hear that’s pretty normal because they want to pay attention and listen. He told me when he was asking a question that they don’t get to see all the materials for applications such as the plays or statement of purpose. 

49 minutes ago, CultyCoolSchool said:

I haven’t applied to university of Arizona before: yay!’ We’re buddies in this..I don’t know what ya mean tho here:

what do you mean their deadline was this month? It was dec 15! I ask haven’t seen anyone write much about the program and I was surprised 

Did you apply to creative writing or did you apply for dramatic writing through the Herberger institute? Because unless I'm confusing the deadline with something else (which is totally possible) I thought the deadline was February 1st. I spoke to Jeanette about getting my materials in and everything and finished in January. 

On 2/26/2020 at 3:45 PM, Dro. said:

I wonder why they even have this requirement ?

I actually asked a few weeks ago (since I am bilingual and actually write plays in two languages, I wanted to know so I could properly address it in my personal statement):

Technically, the program is actually part of the English Department (and NOT the Theater Department). The program has significantly evolved over the years and works very closely with the Theater Department, but since it’s formally part of the English Department- students must meet this requirement, which is mandatory for all students in this department.

On 2/27/2020 at 10:23 AM, kevinmalone said:

I actually emailed them yesterday because the portal said they were still missing my transcript (even though I sent it). I received an automated email letting this morning me know that i'm still missing docs but that my app is being reviewed - so they must just be doing a follow-up with everyone to check in if anything is missing.

Same, I'm emailing with the Grad Office now. I can't tell what I'm missing so I had to send a screenshot to them. Hoping to hear back soon

On 2/28/2020 at 1:32 PM, Coffee&Flowers said:

I actually asked a few weeks ago (since I am bilingual and actually write plays in two languages, I wanted to know so I could properly address it in my personal statement):

Technically, the program is actually part of the English Department (and NOT the Theater Department). The program has significantly evolved over the years and works very closely with the Theater Department, but since it’s formally part of the English Department- students must meet this requirement, which is mandatory for all students in this department.

Oh, interesting. I also write in 2 languages, so I was hoping we got to explore a bit of that in the actual program. In any case, best of luck! I’m sure we’ll hear back either end of next week or the week after.

31 minutes ago, Agez said:

Happy March 1st, y'all! 

I know the anxiety has been insane, but by the end of this month we'll have a clearer view of our futures, and we can take peace in that. We got this!

For reeeeal. My fiance and I have plans for every outcome, but have been just kinda in limbo. But we're happy with all of our choices, even if it means applying again next year (and the year after and the year after...)

Speaking of theatrical futures! Kind of a shot in the dark, but if any of y'all also happen to be based in San Diego, PM me! Got some theatrical goings on down here and we're always looking for new writers!!

5 hours ago, jck349 said:

For reeeeal. My fiance and I have plans for every outcome, but have been just kinda in limbo. But we're happy with all of our choices, even if it means applying again next year (and the year after and the year after...)

Speaking of theatrical futures! Kind of a shot in the dark, but if any of y'all also happen to be based in San Diego, PM me! Got some theatrical goings on down here and we're always looking for new writers!!

On this note: before everyone starts getting decisions in and disperses, anyone in New York looking to connect is more than welcome to do so. Always up for readings/shows/etc. Thanks everyone for being kind and supportive of random strangers on the internet. The future of theatre is bright. :)

11 hours ago, space94 said:

On this note: before everyone starts getting decisions in and disperses, anyone in New York looking to connect is more than welcome to do so. Always up for readings/shows/etc. Thanks everyone for being kind and supportive of random strangers on the internet. The future of theatre is bright. :)

Not sure yet, I was actually thinking about coming up the weekend of the 13th to see some shows! Hot Wing King, Cambodian Rock Band and All the Natalie Portmans are on my list.

What are other shows y'all are excited to see the rest of this season?

16 hours ago, jck349 said:

That's awesome! I've also come to peace with a plan I have for any scenerio. I'm sadly not in San Diego (UCSD was the dream school lol) but if y'all are ever interested in long distance collaboration (or to give me an excuse to come to San Diego) I'd love to hear more!

As of updates:

Someone on the MFA Draft mentioned they got into UC Riverside so those first round of offers have gone out.

UCSD has done their 2nd round of interviews and sent out offers.

Someone mentioned they got an interview request from Brown, and Yale is interviewing finalists this week

37 minutes ago, Agez said:

UCSD has done their 2nd round of interviews and sent out offers.

it's awesome that some peeps are receiving offers from UCSD but... but....

7fbb91d305ab3120bad34589b8ed6c6e.png.8d474381425642394d475c012f1cb5da.png

Edited by tradagram

Yeah I called UCSD last week and they had moved onto interviews. SO I let it go and am just waiting on my other schools. I just don't know ANYTHING about Arizona's process and it doesn't seem like anyone here knows about it either haha. Iowa will probably be way later this month.