Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Hi all! I'm a first-year student at Columbia who was on this forum last application season -- glad to see so many prospective Columbia students on here this round and to see that those of you interviewing have had great conversations with David (although as far as I know it's impossible not to have a good conversation with him). Just wanted to pop my head in and say that my inbox is open if you have any questions after decisions come out. Columbia, like a growing number of universities, is  cancelling admitted students events due to COVID-19 concerns this spring so if I can be of any help let me know. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by grlldchz

Hi, everyone! I'm a classic case of, after long-term stalking, finally choosing to join this conversation and community.

Anyone who interviewed with Columbia yesterday: was a woman present along with Hwang, and if so, do any of you know her name? I'm super embarrassed I can't remember or figure it out, especially considering her - both of their! - kindness and praise. I agree wholeheartedly about the surprising comfort and friendliness of these interviews. 

( @shortymcshortz @grlldchz @corinth of lad  perhaps?) 

Aside from that:

It's so lovely to meet you all! This seems like a truly authentic, supportive space, and your stories have inspired me along the way. Happy to be here and answer any Qs about my own process and experience (from solely rejections last round, through a year of effort, initiative, and growth, to complete turnaround and really positive affirmation). Hang in there, folks, and always always stay true to you!!

Edited by celestial nomad

12 minutes ago, celestial nomad said:

Hi, everyone! I'm a classic case of, after long-term stalking, finally choosing to join this conversation and community.

Anyone who interviewed with Columbia yesterday: was a woman present along with Henry, and if so, do any of you know her name? I'm super embarrassed I can't remember or figure it out, especially considering her - both of their! - kindness and praise. I agree wholeheartedly about the surprising comfort and friendliness of these interviews. 

( @shortymcshortz @grlldchz @corinth of lad  perhaps?) 

Aside from that:

It's so lovely to meet you all! This seems like a truly authentic, supportive space, and your stories have inspired me along the way. Happy to be here and answer any Qs about my own process and experience (from solely rejections last round, through a year of effort, initiative, and growth, to complete turnaround and really positive affirmation). Hang in there, folks, and always always stay true to you!!

Anne Bogart. 

3 minutes ago, celestial nomad said:

Ah, thank you so much!! That's what I thought, but really didn't want to go out on a limb and be wrong, lol. Thank you!!!

I just remember Anne being the first name and her work with both film and theatre department. I am bad with names and faces, so don’t take my word. 

1 hour ago, corinth of lad said:

Really? My interviewers were David and Morgan, I think. Pretty sure this is her: (am I losing my mind? perhaps...)

https://arts.columbia.edu/profiles/morgan-jenness

You’re right. I was wrong. My bad. Like I said I can’t put names to faces. I’ve become really bad with names. I drove up to NYC for my interview so I’m super exhausted. 

1 hour ago, shortymcshortz said:

You’re right. I was wrong. My bad. Like I said I can’t put names to faces. I’ve become really bad with names. I drove up to NYC for my interview so I’m super exhausted. 

Her name is Morgan Jeness (not sure on spelling.) 

1 hour ago, shortymcshortz said:

I'm the exact same way! I'm also currently on a writing residency in rural Canada, so my interview was over Skype (blurry/pixelated) and at an odd hour (thanks to daylight savings on top of time zones), lol.

17 minutes ago, Silverlake said:

Two places I haven't heard mentioned of late: Brooklyn and Juilliard. Maybe I missed it, or as anybody heard from them, or have a sense of their timing? 

Didn't apply to Brooklyn, but I believe Juilliard lets people know in mid-April. 

38 minutes ago, Silverlake said:

Two places I haven't heard mentioned of late: Brooklyn and Juilliard. Maybe I missed it, or as anybody heard from them, or have a sense of their timing? 

Brooklyn told me they'd let folks know by April 1st

I also got the UC San Diego rejection. I actually called them a couple of weeks ago and they said that they were interviewing finalists at that time. So I already prepared myself for it beforehand. It is nice to have clarity. Travelling to Iowa tomorrow to see the campus...which also happens to be my 22nd birthday!!! So there's still reason to celebrate and I am thankful. I think of these things in terms of purpose and destiny. Still waiting to hear back from Arizona and Texas T&D over the next couple days.

I am anxiously waiting to hear back from Columbia while waiting to hear from Brown University. I see most of you on here who applied already received a status update but I haven’t. I’m worried about why I haven’t. 

UCSD rejection here too but I knew it was coming. All rejections this year....except for my new apartment approval, which will have a dedicated writing sanctuary. My next steps are to continue to refine my writing practice and voice. Continue to read and see shows. And continue to give myself grace. Most likely won't be applying next year but the year after is in the cards. I took this process too personally and submitted a very vulnerable piece that took a LOT out of me but I'm better for it. I've given myself what I call a "pre-MFA time", which may never actually result in an MFA but will result in me learning, living, and evolving as a writer. Additionally I will be saving my money and getting my financial house in order. When the opportunity does come, I'll be ready. Onward and across then over, upward with a zig and a zag....but onward always.  :) 

I had a phone interview with Kate S. at BU today --- somebody else on here had an interview there a while ago, so I'd assumed I was long done! She said to expect a verdict by Friday.

Also received the UCSD rejection, like many of you.

Good luck, all. Stay sane.

50 minutes ago, SeltzerBot said:

I had a phone interview with Kate S. at BU today --- somebody else on here had an interview there a while ago, so I'd assumed I was long done! She said to expect a verdict by Friday.

That was me! She reached out to me again today, told me to speak to some current students. Did she make you submit anything else?

57 minutes ago, SeltzerBot said:

Kate's a wonderful human, and that's a phenomenal program. Fingers crossed for you!