Playwriting MFAs

dampka

7 hours ago, Awp said:

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker here, dipping my toe in for the first time to write. Wanted to first say what a salve this forum has been against the anxiety of this whole process. I haven't really joined the conversation before because I applied primarily to UK universities and only NYU and Yale in the States.

Just found out I've been accepted into NYU. I'm beyond elated. Just breathing a huge sigh of relief. Got an email with a notification to check the portal.

I've been given some financial aid but the whole thing is so confusing to figure out that I'd appreciate if anyone who could give me some help on that.

Congratulations! I'm no expert, but feel free to DM if you want a second opinion on understanding your package. I had the same issue looking at my Northwester package.

9 hours ago, tradagram said:

yo @zayzay, how was Iowa campus? ? i've heard zip from Iowa and not really sure if I should still wait for the possibility of being your classmate there now... ?

Good morning everyone! Iowa was AMAZING. Honestly, I felt such a warmth from the faculty and students. Everyone was so kind. I accepted the offer last night, without hearing from Arizona or UT Austin. The school really made that much of an impression on me. I believe they have their finalists and are in the process of making final decisions, if that helps you as far as info. I am so honored. This forum has helped me so much. Sending the absolute best to EVERYONE because this journey can be exhausting. 

11 hours ago, Awp said:

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker here, dipping my toe in for the first time to write. Wanted to first say what a salve this forum has been against the anxiety of this whole process. I haven't really joined the conversation before because I applied primarily to UK universities and only NYU and Yale in the States.

Just found out I've been accepted into NYU. I'm beyond elated. Just breathing a huge sigh of relief. Got an email with a notification to check the portal.

I've been given some financial aid but the whole thing is so confusing to figure out that I'd appreciate if anyone who could give me some help on that.

SO happy for you, so sad for me. No email, nothing in my portal from NYU. 

51 minutes ago, PlayWitch said:

SO happy for you, so sad for me. No email, nothing in my portal from NYU. 

Thank you! Keeping my fingers crossed for ya

4 hours ago, Agez said:

Congratulations! I'm no expert, but feel free to DM if you want a second opinion on understanding your package. I had the same issue looking at my Northwester package.

Thanks! I'll definitely DM you with a couple of questions

44 minutes ago, PlayWitch said:

Does NYU assign a Net ID and University ID to all applicants? I feel like these things are new on my portal, but maybe I'm just living on hope.

Having the exact same experience lol. I don't recall those being there previously???

Hello all, 

Long time lurker here, like for a couple of months.  Not sure that my insights will be useful this late but, thought they might be worth sharing. 

Here's how my first draft season (Finished undergrad Dec. 19) went down- 

CMU - Waitlisted in February (Like many on here)

Brown, UCSD, Yale - Rejected (Also like many on here)

Didn't hear anything from Iowa and this late I think that's a no.  

Rejected from BU. Thought the bilingual angle might give me a leg up, guess I was wrong. But I know Kate (a lot of mutual acquaintances) and she wrote a really heartfelt "don't give up letter". Warmed my heart- she's awesome. 

Guillermo from ASU reached out to me and I have a phone interview Monday.

Already admitted to Texas Tech and I am seriously considering going if I can afford to move to Lubbock. It's a smaller, newer program but it sounds like they're really trying to restructure it. Plus Rebecca Gilman (personal hero and all around amazing human) is head of the program so, worth giving it a look for those of you applying next year for sure.

To everyone else best of luck, I figure with all of this COVID-19 panic we all ought to have some unexpected time to bunker down and write.  

15 minutes ago, Straton said:

Hello all, 

Long time lurker here, like for a couple of months.  Not sure that my insights will be useful this late but, thought they might be worth sharing. 

Here's how my first draft season (Finished undergrad Dec. 19) went down- 

CMU - Waitlisted in February (Like many on here)

Brown, UCSD, Yale - Rejected (Also like many on here)

Didn't hear anything from Iowa and this late I think that's a no.  

Rejected from BU. Thought the bilingual angle might give me a leg up, guess I was wrong. But I know Kate (a lot of mutual acquaintances) and she wrote a really heartfelt "don't give up letter". Warmed my heart- she's awesome. 

Guillermo from ASU reached out to me and I have a phone interview Monday.

Already admitted to Texas Tech and I am seriously considering going if I can afford to move to Lubbock. It's a smaller, newer program but it sounds like they're really trying to restructure it. Plus Rebecca Gilman (personal hero and all around amazing human) is head of the program so, worth giving it a look for those of you applying next year for sure.

To everyone else best of luck, I figure with all of this COVID-19 panic we all ought to have some unexpected time to bunker down and write.  

Hey! When did you get the interview request from Arizona?

Hello!

I posted here what feels like a decade ago and I've lurked ever since.

I applied to Yale, NYU, UCSD, Columbia, UT Austin and made a hail-mary -last-minute application to Ohio.

I've been declined from Yale, USCD and UT Austin.

I interviewed at NYU and Columbia. 

I'm still waiting on Ohio.

I found out on Friday that I'M IN AT NYU!!! Which is crazy. 

I felt like I had a great interview with Columbia, but crickets...

Now I'm looking at the financial reality of NYU. While they offered me a decent scholarship, since it's NYC, I'd still need to take out loans to make up the rest and for cost of living. Which is not ideal. 

Can anyone speak to the reputation of the program? Is it truly up there with Yale or Juilliard? Or it is a a bit of a degree mill? 

Best wishes to everyone applying and still in limbo!

Hang in there!

2 hours ago, Ezra Brain said:

Having the exact same experience lol. I don't recall those being there previously???

Me too. I tried using them to create a student account, expecting nothing, but got in, lol. So whether I'm officially accepted or rejected (or maybe waitlisted? kinda the vibe I'm getting but perhaps just optimistic), I've accessed the portal. Idk if this means anything. @PlayWitch

Also a little surprised by silence from Columbia, after a positively affirming interview and even follow-up email from Morgan. So I'm anticipating/hoping for waitlist. 

(Does anyone have experience with their waitlist systems??)

And this is where it gets tough... Commit to one of my other (more financially supportive) options, or hold out for these top choices, where scholarship money is likely non-existent? Blah. On top of the worldwide uncertainty, this indecision is exhausting!

Stay healthy, all (physically AND mentally). Heads up and hands clean!

Edited by celestial nomad

2 hours ago, Straton said:

There's a little Covid-19 playwriting contest floating around the internet that's based on Paula Vogel's Bake-Offs. They send you five "ingredients," and you have 32 hours to write a 10 minute play. Starts Monday. Email is QuarantineBakeOff@gmail.com if you want to participate. It might feel good to be productive in these bizarro times.

I am also having trouble with the financial aid at Columbia University. I already accepted and put down my tuition deposit. I keep wondering if it’ll be financially feasible to live in NYC but my parent keep telling me it’ll all work itself out. 

I am excited about this all. However @Awp and @Aeli23 what are y’all doing about housing? I am currently looking at apartments and trying to find roommates. This is all so new and nerve wracking for me. Also @Awp I feel you on the financial aid stuff and how confusing it is. I’ll have to take out loans. It’s no big deal but I’m hoping I’ll have enough to cover living expenses and tuition. This is my dream school!

@Aeli23 congrats on getting in too!

8 hours ago, shortymcshortz said:

I am excited about this all. However @Awp and @Aeli23 what are y’all doing about housing? I am currently looking at apartments and trying to find roommates. This is all so new and nerve wracking for me. Also @Awp I feel you on the financial aid stuff and how confusing it is. I’ll have to take out loans. It’s no big deal but I’m hoping I’ll have enough to cover living expenses and tuition. This is my dream school!

Yeah, the whole thing is stressful. I'd be an international student as well, so even loans are extremely limited but there's time to figure something out. I feel a little kinship with your parents in my attitude to all of it. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to ask for more from the uni, seeing as I'm a working artist in Sri Lanka, so the rates are even more astronomical when converted into the Rupee.

As for living, I'm just starting to consider. Ideally, I'd wanna be off-campus, I have a few mates in New York so I've asked them to keep an eye out, but I'm thinking I need to have all avenues open. The cost of living thing is also looming its great big ugly head.

18 hours ago, shortymcshortz said:

I am also having trouble with the financial aid at Columbia University. I already accepted and put down my tuition deposit. I keep wondering if it’ll be financially feasible to live in NYC but my parent keep telling me it’ll all work itself out. 

I have a friend who graduated from the program and I went to the open house. They said its hard AF and is extremely exhausting, but you can survive it. They worked part time jobs, but I think they got so much out of the quality of the program that they didn't regret it. Not to mention the access and the mentoring. It'll be hard, but very possible

On 3/14/2020 at 11:58 AM, zayzay said:

Good morning everyone! Iowa was AMAZING. Honestly, I felt such a warmth from the faculty and students. Everyone was so kind. I accepted the offer last night, without hearing from Arizona or UT Austin. The school really made that much of an impression on me. I believe they have their finalists and are in the process of making final decisions, if that helps you as far as info. I am so honored. This forum has helped me so much. Sending the absolute best to EVERYONE because this journey can be exhausting. 

So glad you feel right at home! I think that's so important and something that we forget. This is going to be your home, it has to feel right. CONGRATS!!!

4 hours ago, Agez said:

I have a friend who graduated from the program and I went to the open house. They said its hard AF and is extremely exhausting, but you can survive it. They worked part time jobs, but I think they got so much out of the quality of the program that they didn't regret it. Not to mention the access and the mentoring. It'll be hard, but very possible

Could you ask your friend about the financial aid process and loans/scholarships I could receive? I have a few bills I’d have to pay on addition to rent.