Playwriting MFAs

dampka

On 4/10/2020 at 1:01 AM, hbomb said:

Hey all!

I’m currently pretty far out from applying to grad schools since I still have a year and a half left of undergrad (I wouldn’t be going to grad until Fall ‘22) I’m wondering what y’all would recommend to do to spruce up my resume so that I can stand out and have a good chance at acceptance.

Currently on my list is Northwestern, Brown, Tisch, UT @ Austin, CMU, Hunter, UCSD, UCLA, & Southern Illinois, but I’m going through this thread and seeing a bunch of others I’m interested in.

Right now I don’t have any produced work for the stage, but I wrote and produced a web series.

Really my questions/reasons for posting are: 

-What should my resume have on it?

-What should I work toward now so that I stand out better? 

-Are there any schools I should look into? (Hoping to stay out of NYC with a few exceptions)

-Are there any summer programs/internships you would recommend (for playwriting preferably, but anything in that vein would be rad) 

-Any advice on how I can get ahead in the process (even though I still have two years to go) 

Thank you! 

A. Look for a program that is fully funded

B. Apply for a Fringe Festival

C. Do some readings

D. Submit for some opportunities

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2020/04/13/boston-university-is-first-to-announce-it-may-postpone-its-fall-term-until-january-2021/#da2b5784bd55

So...guys we need to have a conversation. We need to have a conversation about what would be the worst case scenario for many of us who have been accepted into a program. I posted a link to an article from Forbes saying that Boston University MIGHT (based on what happens) postpone the start of classes until JANUARY. I'd like to hear from the BU students on this forum. I'd like to know...from all of you who are accepted...what would you do in this scenario, since it's being floated around as a possibility if things are still bad. Again, the article says MAYBE but we truly don't know. Also...to those who plan on applying next cycle....do you think that if semesters are pushed back that would affect the next cycle?

On 4/10/2020 at 12:15 PM, corinth of lad said:

Wait sorry - did you interview with Pace last year?

Hi! Yeah I did, then deferred to this year (didn't interview this year). And yup, Jee was mine, but I've heard good things about Zach too. Good luck and add an update if you hear back!!

3 minutes ago, PlayWitch said:

Got an email fro Juilliard saying my play is still under consideration. Is this a form letter, or did anyone receive a rejection?

I got the same thing. The message is so content-free that it makes me think it's fairly meaningless.

3 hours ago, PlayWitch said:

Got an email from Juilliard saying my play is still under consideration. Is this a form letter, or did anyone receive a rejection?

I also got it! The fact that it says that “they’re pleased to inform me” that my play is still under consideration makes me think that whoever received it passed a certain stage in the process, but who knows.

Hoping you’re all staying safe!

45 minutes ago, Coffee&Flowers said:

I also got it! The fact that it says that “they’re pleased to inform me” that my play is still under consideration makes me think that whoever received it passed a certain stage in the process, but who knows.

Hoping you’re all staying safe!

I'm treating it similarly -- also, checked the results page and some folks are reporting an outright rejection email from Juilliard. So, I'm taking this as a win, today!

On 4/14/2020 at 11:49 AM, celestial nomad said:

Hi! Yeah I did, then deferred to this year (didn't interview this year). And yup, Jee was mine, but I've heard good things about Zach too. Good luck and add an update if you hear back!!

Okay! Great, good to know. I'm hoping that I'm not hearing back a time/date estimate because NY has been shut down, but alas. ughh! I came into this thinking that I was better than this freak out, lol. I feel as though my teeth have been on edge for months awaiting results. Alas.

On 4/14/2020 at 12:12 PM, PlayWitch said:

Contacting schools about the waiting list is a no-no, right?

You should totally feel free to contact them! Especially since its the 15th, it's only fair. See if you hear anything by tomorrow

On 4/14/2020 at 11:57 AM, zayzay said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2020/04/13/boston-university-is-first-to-announce-it-may-postpone-its-fall-term-until-january-2021/#da2b5784bd55

So...guys we need to have a conversation. We need to have a conversation about what would be the worst case scenario for many of us who have been accepted into a program. I posted a link to an article from Forbes saying that Boston University MIGHT (based on what happens) postpone the start of classes until JANUARY. I'd like to hear from the BU students on this forum. I'd like to know...from all of you who are accepted...what would you do in this scenario, since it's being floated around as a possibility if things are still bad. Again, the article says MAYBE but we truly don't know. Also...to those who plan on applying next cycle....do you think that if semesters are pushed back that would affect the next cycle?

As someone who is applying next cycle, I do feel like it will affect the next one. 

1) I suspect things will be more competitive as people will look to grad school in the face of major unemployment.

2) Funding will most likely be tighter. This could also lead to accepting less students, if any at all.

From what I've heard, a lot of schools are considering staying online for the Fall which is not how anyone would want to start their first year, but alas. I know some folks in draft were considering asking about deferment, especially international students. It's so hard to plan a head 4 months from now as everything is changing so rapidly.

3 hours ago, corinth of lad said:

I'm treating it similarly -- also, checked the results page and some folks are reporting an outright rejection email from Juilliard. So, I'm taking this as a win, today!

I'm in the same boat, and love the feeling of having "a win" at this moment. It's my first one in this year's process, so I'm going to enjoy it!

Be well, everyone!

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is well and safe.

Now that I'm committed to CMU, just want to send a big huge giant Thank You to you all for being here, discussing things, sharing information and in general being ultra supportive. I've learnt so much for this forum it practically prepped me for grad school ?

I'd like to contribute by sharing a bit of my experience as a foreign student applicant, hopefully it'd help a future candidate who also look to study in such a locatity-specific field, in a language not their native. Before mid 2019 I've been much more a visual art creative producer than a writer in any sense, though I did produce a few of my stage plays. My scripts thus have not been written in a traditional, formal way but more visually and conceptually informed. I wrote to a few programs before application season began to ask them if what I looked for in an MFA (cross-disciplinary playwriting) matched what they offered. It was BU's Kate Snodgrass who kindly provided such attentive feedback that helped me craft a more focused application afterwards (thanks Kate and big cheers to whom studying there this year ? )

So when it came to applying, my first choice was Brown for the fact that they promoted writing for the bath tub or a hallway. Me likey. My second choice was UCSD, erhm... not sure if sharing this info would make me look too idiotic but oh well, it was because they'd provide candidates with a summer stipend to go see shows around the world. Gee me likey that too. Of course those were top programs, I have no doubt of the program quality, just sayin' when you look at them from afar these seemingly smaller things mattered quite a bit. CMU was more than perfect for their visual art/scientific flair but did not offer as much financial support and it was a huge factor for me, so I sent in my work praying that the universe saw how compatible my aspiration was with CMU's and would nod on it somehow. Then I had a talk with a revered figure in experimental theatre in Southeast Asia, who did his PhD at NYU, and he said I should go to New York because not only theatre but also visual art were abundant there (beside whatever else) and he had the impression I'd thrive in that environment. I took his sensible advice and ego-boosting compliment to apply at Columbia. My 5th option was Iowa as I valued ultra vigorous writing training and also fantasized a writing get-away of sort, but I'll admit that I might not be a good fit for them, nor they for me.

As it went, out of the fancylord institutions above, I only got an interview with CMU and was put in waitlist afterwards. However much I was ecstatic about the possibility of admission, I was also dead scare of not getting in any school, which in my eyes signified that my writing in specific and capacity as a playwright in general were not "good enough". The convos in this forum and Draft slowly reaffirmed that 1) a mutual fit was more likely a factor than individual capacity, especially in contemporary playwriting, and 2) this is a practice, not a competition, meaning your continuous work would count much more than the entrance to a particular (fancy) school, and 3) there's next year, which might be a better option for many aspiring writers. Strategizing the applications will earn you a much better chance of a great fit (academic, funding, logistic, professional opportunities etc...) than applying widely out of wishful thoughts and angonizing over half a year like I just did. These things helped me greatly in thinking about the growth of a playwright, and I hope it'd help some future applicants in choosing a sensible path.

Then came Covid that draped everything in a mist of uncertainty.... But that might be worth another convo.

Again, I'm grateful for this forum and you guys for being weirdly open and encouraging. Maybe we're a weird bunch. No other thread is as long and as friendly as this one. Maybe we'll help our peer weird writers/thinkers/doers (you helped me so so so much y'all ? ?). Maybe by us doing our own theatre things we'll help the world out a bit. Maybe we'll feel good doing so. I hope you do, cuz we need to feel good to retain on this long and difficult path ?

So that's my two cents today. Cheers folks! ??????❤️

PS: I should also send a love note to the folks at Draft after I get over my sort of  fear for non-anomity… ??

13 hours ago, corinth of lad said:

Where are you seeing rejections?

Hey all! I also got that email from Juilliard....?‍♀️

Have been meaning to follow up with a quick update. I ended up getting into both Brooklyn College and University of Iowa and last week accepted the offer at Iowa. Hopefully this meant movement on the Brooklyn waitlist for some of you (I was also briefly on the waitlist there!). Really excited to be moving out to Iowa though it feels surreal in this moment, and who knows what the next few months will bring in terms of challenges or changes. @zayzay looks like I will be there with you this fall!

Hope everyone is well. If anyone has any questions about either program or the process with each, feel free to message me! Best of luck to all in the lingering weeks of this crazy process, and with whatever is going on with Juilliard ?

21 hours ago, kevinmalone said:

Hey all! I also got that email from Juilliard....?‍♀️

Have been meaning to follow up with a quick update. I ended up getting into both Brooklyn College and University of Iowa and last week accepted the offer at Iowa. Hopefully this meant movement on the Brooklyn waitlist for some of you (I was also briefly on the waitlist there!). Really excited to be moving out to Iowa though it feels surreal in this moment, and who knows what the next few months will bring in terms of challenges or changes. @zayzay looks like I will be there with you this fall!

Hope everyone is well. If anyone has any questions about either program or the process with each, feel free to message me! Best of luck to all in the lingering weeks of this crazy process, and with whatever is going on with Juilliard ?

I'm so excited! Would love to connect. Add me on Facebook @ Isaiah-Mikel Reaves

On 4/16/2020 at 12:04 AM, tradagram said:

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is well and safe.

Now that I'm committed to CMU, just want to send a big huge giant Thank You to you all for being here, discussing things, sharing information and in general being ultra supportive. I've learnt so much for this forum it practically prepped me for grad school ?

I'd like to contribute by sharing a bit of my experience as a foreign student applicant, hopefully it'd help a future candidate who also look to study in such a locatity-specific field, in a language not their native. Before mid 2019 I've been much more a visual art creative producer than a writer in any sense, though I did produce a few of my stage plays. My scripts thus have not been written in a traditional, formal way but more visually and conceptually informed. I wrote to a few programs before application season began to ask them if what I looked for in an MFA (cross-disciplinary playwriting) matched what they offered. It was BU's Kate Snodgrass who kindly provided such attentive feedback that helped me craft a more focused application afterwards (thanks Kate and big cheers to whom studying there this year ? )

So when it came to applying, my first choice was Brown for the fact that they promoted writing for the bath tub or a hallway. Me likey. My second choice was UCSD, erhm... not sure if sharing this info would make me look too idiotic but oh well, it was because they'd provide candidates with a summer stipend to go see shows around the world. Gee me likey that too. Of course those were top programs, I have no doubt of the program quality, just sayin' when you look at them from afar these seemingly smaller things mattered quite a bit. CMU was more than perfect for their visual art/scientific flair but did not offer as much financial support and it was a huge factor for me, so I sent in my work praying that the universe saw how compatible my aspiration was with CMU's and would nod on it somehow. Then I had a talk with a revered figure in experimental theatre in Southeast Asia, who did his PhD at NYU, and he said I should go to New York because not only theatre but also visual art were abundant there (beside whatever else) and he had the impression I'd thrive in that environment. I took his sensible advice and ego-boosting compliment to apply at Columbia. My 5th option was Iowa as I valued ultra vigorous writing training and also fantasized a writing get-away of sort, but I'll admit that I might not be a good fit for them, nor they for me.

As it went, out of the fancylord institutions above, I only got an interview with CMU and was put in waitlist afterwards. However much I was ecstatic about the possibility of admission, I was also dead scare of not getting in any school, which in my eyes signified that my writing in specific and capacity as a playwright in general were not "good enough". The convos in this forum and Draft slowly reaffirmed that 1) a mutual fit was more likely a factor than individual capacity, especially in contemporary playwriting, and 2) this is a practice, not a competition, meaning your continuous work would count much more than the entrance to a particular (fancy) school, and 3) there's next year, which might be a better option for many aspiring writers. Strategizing the applications will earn you a much better chance of a great fit (academic, funding, logistic, professional opportunities etc...) than applying widely out of wishful thoughts and angonizing over half a year like I just did. These things helped me greatly in thinking about the growth of a playwright, and I hope it'd help some future applicants in choosing a sensible path.

Then came Covid that draped everything in a mist of uncertainty.... But that might be worth another convo.

Again, I'm grateful for this forum and you guys for being weirdly open and encouraging. Maybe we're a weird bunch. No other thread is as long and as friendly as this one. Maybe we'll help our peer weird writers/thinkers/doers (you helped me so so so much y'all ? ?). Maybe by us doing our own theatre things we'll help the world out a bit. Maybe we'll feel good doing so. I hope you do, cuz we need to feel good to retain on this long and difficult path ?

So that's my two cents today. Cheers folks! ??????❤️

PS: I should also send a love note to the folks at Draft after I get over my sort of  fear for non-anomity… ??

This was really cool to read! Thanks for sharing your story, I can definitely relate to a lot of your journey as someone who also only got interviewed at CMU and was wait listed and was also terrified of not getting in anywhere and what that meant about me as a writer. It's so hard to internalize rejection, especially a grad school rejection, as a part of your growth and not a comment on your potential. It's also cool to hear that your work is somewhat non-traditional and visually driven because I would also describe my writing that way which makes me wonder if that's part of the reason we wound up in the same cohort. I'm super excited to study with you in the fall and grow in our practice together :) 

Edited by SuddenBeth

Do any of you use OneDrive or iCloud? I am wondering if it’s worth paying for because I hear many writers say that a cloud is better than saved on a laptop or flash drive. I know as writers we panic if one of our plays is lost or laptop crashes. 

Has anyone heard anything from Ohio or Northwestern? Radio silent from both and I get that with everything going on, but just wondering if anyone has heard anything. I know someone on here got accepted to Ohio but turned it down but that was weeks ago. 

4 hours ago, Cowboy38 said:

Has anyone heard anything from Ohio or Northwestern? Radio silent from both and I get that with everything going on, but just wondering if anyone has heard anything. I know someone on here got accepted to Ohio but turned it down but that was weeks ago. 

Hey! So, I was offered a spot at Northwestern last Friday evening, and I was offered a spot at Ohio just about an hour ago. (I think I was told today bc of the back ad forth nature of the communication I have had with them since February)  Official email with offer details is coming within the next couple of days. I'm excited, but now I need to look at all the numbers and see what's doable! Hope you hear good news from both!

41 minutes ago, Dongato said:

Hey! So, I was offered a spot at Northwestern last Friday evening, and I was offered a spot at Ohio just about an hour ago. (I think I was told today bc of the back ad forth nature of the communication I have had with them since February)  Official email with offer details is coming within the next couple of days. I'm excited, but now I need to look at all the numbers and see what's doable! Hope you hear good news from both!

Congrats!!!!