Playwriting MFAs

dampka

On 11/30/2020 at 6:28 PM, jck349 said:

Any other returning applicants here who've drastically rethought their applications this year due to Covid? I was excited to reapply places this year, but at this point I'm not really in a position to pack up and move cross-country in, like, 8 months from now... Especially when there's no guarantee that there will be in person instruction/performances/etc next Fall.

So, I think I'm just applying to UCSD. Only a 20 minute drive for me, and I think I can handle that commute. Otherwise, fingers crossed for 2022!

Ironically, I'm in a better space now than I was last year. I have more money saved and my writing is sort of in a better place and I know what I want more. I'm glad I decided not to go because of COVID last year, but seeing how this country is DETERMINED to "get back to normal" beyond all logic, I imagine we'll be in-person sooner than we think (probably should be). I did cut my list in half though from last year.

Thank you so much @brillantina! You listed so many of the things I loved about Hunter and Brooklyn and why I look forward to applying again. I definitely see myself working part-time, have gotten accustomed to self-producing and I love this access to the English department. I miss creative writing and love that there is space to explore that.

@yoinky I commend you for going back so far! I didn't have the energy for more than two years lol Yeah, USCs reputation even beyond this group isn't great. Hope they find their way back

9 hours ago, brillantina said:

Hey hey @Agez! Funding is still available, as far as I know -- my in-state tuition was funded for both years, and I know that there are other folks who are funded in the first year. I also love public institutions & was interested in working with undergrads that were at Brooklyn, which has been fun. I also really needed a program I could do while working part- or full-time because I couldn't take on loans to live, so I needed something that wouldn't try to colonize my whole life. My impression is that both Hunter and Brooklyn are the institutions that are best built for working-class folks in NYC, but obviously I'm biased. 

I would say that if you're looking for production opportunities @ Brooklyn College, I wouldn't hold your breath (this kinda kept me on the fence before, but in the end, production opportunities within the program didn't matter to me -- my goals are more to get productions at theaters or other institutions anyhow, and I'd rather learn while on the job). For the old-school "thesis" production that used to be at the Public: the partnership with the Tow Foundation and the Public for what used to be called WeaselFest seems to have fallen through. That being said, that funding and partnership only existed for 3 years.... prior to that, WeaselFest was a lot about self-production, and the legacy of Brooklyn College playwrights has been that they are risk-taking, experimental playwrights who are also self-producers. I would say that remains true and everyone is a badass; but if you're looking for a program that will epically stage your work on their mainstage before you graduate, this isn't it -- this is more of a pipeline to exciting written worlds with very close personal relationships to folks with a huge downtown theater legacy. 

The website IS hard to navigate and the administration can be as well, but if you are good at always asking who the right person to email is, you will find your way. The heads of the program as well as some crucial allies in the English department can be your north star. I've loved the non-playwriting classes I've taken, especially since in the English department you get to work and be mentored by award-winning poets and fiction writers if you so choose. But to be clear: when you choose Brooklyn College, you are choosing a track in the English department -- there are plenty of collaborations with the theater department, but you are not IN the theater department.

Just discovered this longer post I missed after reading @Agez’s comments. Thanks for this detailed description of the program at Brooklyn College! I had been interested in more production opportunities, but your commentary is making me wonder if I’m overvaluing that. Great to get a sense of what’s valued at Brooklyn College and what’s working for you there. Really helpful to also understand the English vs Theatre dept division. 

12 hours ago, Agez said:

Ironically, I'm in a better space now than I was last year. I have more money saved and my writing is sort of in a better place and I know what I want more. I'm glad I decided not to go because of COVID last year, but seeing how this country is DETERMINED to "get back to normal" beyond all logic, I imagine we'll be in-person sooner than we think (probably should be). I did cut my list in half though from last year.

Thank you so much @brillantina! You listed so many of the things I loved about Hunter and Brooklyn and why I look forward to applying again. I definitely see myself working part-time, have gotten accustomed to self-producing and I love this access to the English department. I miss creative writing and love that there is space to explore that.

@yoinky I commend you for going back so far! I didn't have the energy for more than two years lol Yeah, USCs reputation even beyond this group isn't great. Hope they find their way back

So glad this was helpful to both you and @sandringham-- feel free to message me if you want to talk further. One of the biggest things I learned about BC was that word of mouth is the best way to learn about the program, and while there's no interview process normally, it's a good idea to be proactive and reach out to people in the BC community as a way of figuring out if it's what you want.

@AgezI feel you re: this year being a better time to apply—I'm technically a first-time applicant, but I came SO CLOSE to doing a last-minute slapdash application to a few programs last year. Very glad I didn't, not only because of corona but because my primary writing sample feels a lot stronger, and I've appreciated having the time to get my head on straight/figure out what I actually want from grad school. Glad you feel similarly!

@brillantina thanks so much for the information re: Brooklyn! Honestly, its location in the English department is one of the reasons I chose to apply there in the first place. So good to hear you're having such a great experience!

Hey folks!! I've been stalking this thread for a little while and wanted to finally introduce myself! I'm a first-time applicant and I've really appreciated having this forum as a resource. I'm applying to the following schools for the fall of '21:

- UT Austin

- Brown

- Columbia

- Iowa

- Ohio

- Rutgers

I apologize if this is a loaded question, but I'm very curious about the typical age range of students/applicants for MFA Playwriting programs. How unusual is it for a student to apply for programs in their early twenties? Is someone applying after only a year or two out from undergrad going to be at a great disadvantage compared to someone who's been out in the field getting work produced?

5 hours ago, Strelka said:

Hey folks!! I've been stalking this thread for a little while and wanted to finally introduce myself! I'm a first-time applicant and I've really appreciated having this forum as a resource. I'm applying to the following schools for the fall of '21:

- UT Austin

- Brown

- Columbia

- Iowa

- Ohio

- Rutgers

I apologize if this is a loaded question, but I'm very curious about the typical age range of students/applicants for MFA Playwriting programs. How unusual is it for a student to apply for programs in their early twenties? Is someone applying after only a year or two out from undergrad going to be at a great disadvantage compared to someone who's been out in the field getting work produced?

Hi @Strelka welcome! The rules of "when is the best time to apply" are arbitrary. The most often I've heard is that right out of undergrad is not the best time to go, but I know at least 3 students in the Yale MFA who were straight out of undergrad. I will now be three years out (though I did take an extra two years for context), so I'm 26 and I think my understanding of myself and my writing has only improved. I think that's just time. But if you know yourself, your voice and how to make a program do for you what you need it to, that's the best time to go. Just my 2c though.

Hello hello @Strelka! That's been a slight concern for me as well, but honestly I've found it reassuring to just look at all the profiles of admitted grad students and read their bios (if available online). There's quite a bit of age diversity in many places, and there are LARGE gaps between amount of production experience/fellowships/residencies/etc. It really does seem to be all about the writing. I think certain schools are more likely to take people of certain ages (Juilliard students seem to swing older, etc.), and you can kind of get a feel for that by looking at bios, but there's no hard and fast rule.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the only program I know of that explicitly does not take people straight out of undergrad is UCSD.

Edited by yoinky

• 2 weeks later...

o shit y'allllll - i'm posting! hi! fellow first time applicant here

-ut austin (................ looking at monday like -_-

-university of british columbia (masters in theatre & creative writing / a wild card)

-brown

-brooklyn college 

-columbia 

Maybe Hunter? Maybe Northwestern? Maybe BU? who knows. 

Edited by nickelmoop

On 12/12/2020 at 3:54 AM, nickelmoop said:

-university of british columbia (masters in theatre & creative writing / a wild card)

-brown

-brooklyn college 

-columbia 

Hey there! Glad to see another one of us. Break a leg with all of your applications!

I had BU on my list initially, but they're actually not taking applications this year. The website was a little bit confusing—it said something like "taking applications in 2020," but they only open their admissions cycle every other year and the website was referring to the applications they took for the fall 2020 semester. I emailed the admissions office asking for clarification last month, and it actually looks like they've updated the website since then to make it a bit clearer.

On 12/12/2020 at 3:54 AM, nickelmoop said:

-brown

-brooklyn college 

-columbia 

Just curious--why Columbia but not NYU?

i got my undergrad in performance from Tisch. i loved my training but don't think i'm ready to go back 

i've probably seen too much of the bureaucratic drama that riddles that school - mostly due to size and finances

the grad departments may be a lil more protected from this? but it was a lot. 

I'm not really sure I'm ready to pay for Columbia but I really admire the work of my friends who graduated from there so I'm going to give it a shot. 

Edited by nickelmoop

Hey everyone! 

It does not feel like it should be application season again. It feels like it's been a week and also like it's been three years. 

I just wanted to say hi to all first time applicants, but also wanted to give a special shout out to people whose names I've seen on this forum for literally years. Whatever reasons we all have for applying a third/fourth/maybe fifth time, I draw on that collective strength as January approaches. :)

• 3 weeks later...

hows everyone doing 

i spent most of my morning hovering on one of my top schools "submit" buttons before finally taking a breath and clicking it

the work was done but that feeling of wanting to be accepted, celebrated, valued was catching in my throat

just had to remember that those things exist regardless of what happens

and that no one or two sentence tweak will be the deciding factor b/w a yes or a no 

sending love as everyone hits those buttons! you are courageous and valued. hny 

@waitingandwaitingmaybe21Oh man, I feel that re: app fees—got a holiday bonus at my day job, which was super exciting, but it became a lot less exciting once I realized nearly all that $$$ would just be funneled into this process. Ah, the things we do to pursue our dreams...

As we wrap up this application season, I'd also like to reiterate the above positive sentiments. The graduate school application process is exhausting, tedious, and demoralizing at the BEST of times. We're going through this process during a global pandemic. Pardon my French, but we're fucking superstars. You all should be ridiculously proud of yourselves for daring to dream big and putting in the work this year to apply, whether you filled out one application or 20.

On a semi-related note, anyone got play recommendations to read and/or watch online during this time of waiting? I just read Heroes of the Fourth Turning by Will Arbery and—as someone who (perhaps unfortunately) spent some of their youth in conservative-leaning Christian schools—it really hit home. Would definitely recommend that one.

Hi all!

Finally getting a moment to breathe after hitting submit on the Columbia and UCSD applications (thanks for that good energy @nickelmoop)!

Welcome to the group @waitingandwaitingmaybe21! Those fees really add up. I’ve got 3 to go...

@yoinky I just read Lewiston/Clarkston by Samuel D. Hunter. Lewiston was fine but Clarkston was really beautiful and moving. I saw Heroes of the Fourth Turning when Jeremy O. Harris recently produced a few virtual performances. I can imagine it’s even more gutting with your background.

Grateful for all the kind and supportive energy. Sending out strong vibes for everyone’s applications. Looking forward to getting to the other side of this with y’all.

Hi! Long time lurker/first time poster looking for a bit of advice.

I went over my script a thousand times to double check for formatting errors, but today I realized when I converted to pdf to upload it, the conversion changed the page breaks, creating several hanging lines of dialogue. It's a huge pet peeve of mine and it feels so sloppy, and I have no idea if there's any way to fix it. There's no way to change what I uploaded on the application portal. Is it worth contacting the school, or is what's done just done. 

Luckily it's only one school and I know to look out for it for my remaining applications, but it's my first choice school and I hate thinking I ruined any chance with something as silly as sloppy formatting.

On 1/7/2021 at 6:04 PM, ruthg said:

Hi! Long time lurker/first time poster looking for a bit of advice.

I went over my script a thousand times to double check for formatting errors, but today I realized when I converted to pdf to upload it, the conversion changed the page breaks, creating several hanging lines of dialogue. It's a huge pet peeve of mine and it feels so sloppy, and I have no idea if there's any way to fix it. There's no way to change what I uploaded on the application portal. Is it worth contacting the school, or is what's done just done. 

Luckily it's only one school and I know to look out for it for my remaining applications, but it's my first choice school and I hate thinking I ruined any chance with something as silly as sloppy formatting.

Hi and welcome! From what you're describing, I don't think it's a big enough deal to truly affect your chances with that school.  If the deadline is passed, I wouldn't worry about it. If it truly bothers you, and the deadline hasn't passed, you can try to ask admissions if you can send in a version you'd prefer they look at it. Again, I truly don't think it will hold any really control over their decision making process and they won't hold something like that against you as a person or writer.

Happy New Year, y'all!!

I admit, I've been kind of theatre'd out lately. I'm trying to slowly get back in, and being forced to by work as we get into season planning helps. I'm trying to read more works by playwrights I've been lucky enough to meet/ know via NPX, and working my way from there.

I applied to 14 schools last year, and just submitted all my apps for the 5 this year. Going in with a very different energy. With everything going, it felt a little absurd, but life has to keep on. I'm just at the point where I just want to know what my life is going to look like this year cause I couldn't have guessed the last one. 

Best of luck everyone! Overthinking, though natural, will not be our friend over the upcoming months. You've done your part, the rest come what may or something. Take care of yourselves! 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I just discovered this thread and it is a historical document... like WOAH...strangers have been convening on here for ten years to discuss a common dream...Jeremy O. Harris was on here when he applied to Yale?! GAAAH. I feel like Aang looking down the long line of Avatars that have come before him. I mean, this has got to be the most niche corner of the internet, right? Well, HELLO. I'm happy to be here with the 2021 squad. I'm a first time applicant, I've applied to Brooklyn, Hunter, NYU, Northwestern, and Brown. The relief I felt after submitting those apps lasted about 0.2 seconds and now the new wave of anxiety has set in.  I just need to know my future! I need to know if I'll be moving out of my childhood bedroom! I believe in us. Let's make those dreams come TRUE!!!

I'll hop on it. So far have applied to Brown, NYU, Columbia, Iowa, Northwestern, UCLA, UCSD, UT-Austin, and Carnegie-Mellon. Obviously really praying for 1 acceptance.

Currently I've heard back nothing other than automated confirmations - no yes/no/waitlist/interview from anywhere, which I'm hoping is normal!

1 hour ago, c.k.thompson.playwright said:

I'll hop on it. So far have applied to Brown, NYU, Columbia, Iowa, Northwestern, UCLA, UCSD, UT-Austin, and Carnegie-Mellon. Obviously really praying for 1 acceptance.

Currently I've heard back nothing other than automated confirmations - no yes/no/waitlist/interview from anywhere, which I'm hoping is normal!

oh yeah, it's still rather early at this point. Interview requests (for those who do interviews) won't even come out until next month and can roll into March. Now is just a normal part of the waiting game, I'm afraid