Playwriting MFAs

dampka

21 minutes ago, Mel Rose said:

I'd love to hear more about your experience at Brooklyn College for sure!

On another note, for those who have applied before, specifically to Northwestern, I'd be curious to hear how you selected your ten page sample. I am slightly daunted by the thought of being evaluated on ten pages alone! After speaking to an alum, it sounds like most submit an excerpt of a longer work, rather than a short (which is what I planned on). I'm guessing that submitting the first ten pages is a way to go, but I'm curious if anyone took a different approach. 

So I ended up getting into Northwestern last year. I highly recommend something that shows a bold, unique voice.  I did select excerpts from a longer work, but I feel like I got to cheat because they were such short scenes, that didn't have a sequential order so just the strongest scenes I put together. But I think they're much more interested in the strength of your voice within those pages, than where in the play they live.

On 9/28/2020 at 12:04 AM, brillantina said:

Can confirm that Erin is now at Northwestern. This year we have Tina Satter and Anne Washburn co-leading the program together. Happy to connect with folks that have questions about the culture etc !

Love Anne! I met her earlier this year when she was working on SHIPWRECK in D.C.  I'd love to know about funding and post-COVID production opportunities. How's the department and non-playwriting workshop classes? I also find the website crazy to navigate lol Is administration helpful and communicative?

• 1 month later...

How is everyone doing so far? I've just got to say, it is definitely proving challenging/interesting to be workshopping plays exclusively on Zoom all year. ?  Finally nailed down my list. This is my first year applying. It's been tough to get a solid sense of things without being able to visit and see productions at schools, etc, but I've been so pleasantly surprised by how welcoming, helpful, thorough, and responsive faculty have been to my questions. I guess I'm used to be treated like one in a herd of cattle from years of being an actor ? ... so kindness and thoughtful correspondence feels like a blessing.

UT- Austin

Ohio University

Brown

Northwestern

Carnegie Mellon

Iowa Playwrights Workshop

Brooklyn College

NYU

Does anybody here know anything about Carnegie Mellon or NYU's funding situation (if they ever give ANY lol)?

17 hours ago, Mel Rose said:

How is everyone doing so far? I've just got to say, it is definitely proving challenging/interesting to be workshopping plays exclusively on Zoom all year. ?  Finally nailed down my list. This is my first year applying. It's been tough to get a solid sense of things without being able to visit and see productions at schools, etc, but I've been so pleasantly surprised by how welcoming, helpful, thorough, and responsive faculty have been to my questions. I guess I'm used to be treated like one in a herd of cattle from years of being an actor ? ... so kindness and thoughtful correspondence feels like a blessing.

UT- Austin

Ohio University

Brown

Northwestern

Carnegie Mellon

Iowa Playwrights Workshop

Brooklyn College

NYU

Does anybody here know anything about Carnegie Mellon or NYU's funding situation (if they ever give ANY lol)?

Hey there, second time applicant here with a little bit of helpful info for you.

I went NYU undergrad and from what I learned from my grad classmates, you can get anywhere from $7,500 to a full ride. It's a pretty big program. Funding isn't limitless but don't be afraid to fight for money should you get in. 

If you have other questions about the NYU program, I had a lot of classes with grad students so I can potentially give you some insight.

I'm curious what you or anyone else has heard about Brown? That's the one that seems shrouded in mystery to me, or at least I don't know anyone who went there. 

Best of luck to you ~

6 hours ago, tantodano said:

Hey there, second time applicant here with a little bit of helpful info for you.

I went NYU undergrad and from what I learned from my grad classmates, you can get anywhere from $7,500 to a full ride. It's a pretty big program. Funding isn't limitless but don't be afraid to fight for money should you get in. 

If you have other questions about the NYU program, I had a lot of classes with grad students so I can potentially give you some insight.

I'm curious what you or anyone else has heard about Brown? That's the one that seems shrouded in mystery to me, or at least I don't know anyone who went there. 

Best of luck to you ~

Thank you so much. That gives me hope. At first I wasn't even going to bother applying to NYU...but the faculty is incredible. 

From what I've gathered...Brown is very experimental, highly conceptual, and interested in redefining what "dramatic writing" can look like. Julia Jarcho of minor theater is the new head of playwriting. Seems to have full funding, so is highly competitive (I'd guess 2-3 admitted in a year, if that). Seems like artists who come out of the program are pretty interdisciplinary and unconventional (which I'm into). 

40 minutes ago, Mel Rose said:

Thank you so much. That gives me hope. At first I wasn't even going to bother applying to NYU...but the faculty is incredible. 

From what I've gathered...Brown is very experimental, highly conceptual, and interested in redefining what "dramatic writing" can look like. Julia Jarcho of minor theater is the new head of playwriting. Seems to have full funding, so is highly competitive (I'd guess 2-3 admitted in a year, if that). Seems like artists who come out of the program are pretty interdisciplinary and unconventional (which I'm into). 

Hey there! I finished my MFA at NYU in 2018. I don't know if much has changed since then, but I'm guessing it's still fairly similar in terms of available funding, etc., given the department leadership hasn't changed. SO ... SOME people get full funding, but it's a very small handful of the class (which is roughly 24 students, a third of whom are playwrights--the rest are TV writers and screenwriters). I had to fight for my funding. As I was deciding which MFA program offer to accept, I asked for a meeting with the chair at NYU and he put me on a "needs more money" list. They wound up offering me a little. (Ask for what you want.) I decided to attend, mostly because of the reputation, cross-training emphasis, and quality of faculty and peers. I was given more funding as a surprise in the middle of my first year, and more on top of that as I started my second year--this was based on merit, I guess. I was very happy with the experience, BUT I was in a good thesis cohort, working intensively with Lucas Hnath for a full year, and Lucas was wonderful. My group had great chemistry and we loved, respected, and supported each other, too. Our cohort has done pretty damn well since graduating. The class ahead of us and the class behind us had a different thesis mentor (I'll share in private message if you like) and were unhappy with the experience. So, always pros and cons ... overall I had a very good experience and highly recommend the program if you don't have to take on debt. I'd be happy to speak about any aspect of it anytime, if that would be helpful. Feel free to reach out. And good luck!

14 minutes ago, newengland1 said:

Hey there! I finished my MFA at NYU in 2018. I don't know if much has changed since then, but I'm guessing it's still fairly similar in terms of available funding, etc., given the department leadership hasn't changed. SO ... SOME people get full funding, but it's a very small handful of the class (which is roughly 24 students, a third of whom are playwrights--the rest are TV writers and screenwriters). I had to fight for my funding. As I was deciding which MFA program offer to accept, I asked for a meeting with the chair at NYU and he put me on a "needs more money" list. They wound up offering me a little. (Ask for what you want.) I decided to attend, mostly because of the reputation, cross-training emphasis, and quality of faculty and peers. I was given more funding as a surprise in the middle of my first year, and more on top of that as I started my second year--this was based on merit, I guess. I was very happy with the experience, BUT I was in a good thesis cohort, working intensively with Lucas Hnath for a full year, and Lucas was wonderful. My group had great chemistry and we loved, respected, and supported each other, too. Our cohort has done pretty damn well since graduating. The class ahead of us and the class behind us had a different thesis mentor (I'll share in private message if you like) and were unhappy with the experience. So, always pros and cons ... overall I had a very good experience and highly recommend the program if you don't have to take on debt. I'd be happy to speak about any aspect of it anytime, if that would be helpful. Feel free to reach out. And good luck!

Thank you for all this! That is great to hear. So jealous of your working with Lucas Hnath. Love his work.

Update from UCSD -- I'm almost certain our application/recruitment process is going on as usual! Apply! For the folks asking about more experimental places, I think UT would really fill that need? That was my impression when I went there for callbacks. UCSD will accept one (maybe two) writers for the next year. We have some great writers who are certainly pushing the envelope in content/structure, but Naomi likes to keep a strong focus on character and story.

Also -- you could probably go through our program just focusing on plays, but it is becoming more and more interested in film/TV. Out of the 3 that graduated this year, 1 sold a movie and 1 is working with a production company to develop a couple TV shows. 1 current student is staffed on a TV show, which caused us to move our classes to the weekends. We have a verrrrry small group of playwrights (I'm the only person in my year), so we get a lot of one-on-one mentorship.

Thinking of reapplying to MFA programs this year, and looking into CMU for the first time. Wondering if any of you know more about their program?

Specifically, wondering if Rob Handle is the only professor? If so, what he’s like (and if not, who else teaches there)? How many students are accepted every year? How much financial aid does the school of drama typically provide? And what is people’s overall impression of the program?

Thank you! 

On 11/24/2020 at 11:09 AM, Coffee&Flowers said:

Thinking of reapplying to MFA programs this year, and looking into CMU for the first time. Wondering if any of you know more about their program?

Specifically, wondering if Rob Handle is the only professor? If so, what he’s like (and if not, who else teaches there)? How many students are accepted every year? How much financial aid does the school of drama typically provide? And what is people’s overall impression of the program?

Thank you! 

Hi! I spoke to someone 2 years ago who graduate from the MFA in 2018, so this info might be dated.

So Rob is the main professor, though they do get visiting teachers, but he'll be the main instructor and will be conducting the interviews. I think if you get along with him, you'll enjoy your experience. It ranges from partially to fully funded. The person I spoke to got about 75%, but it's about how much they want you. 

As a Playwright of Color she struggled because the acting program wasn't particular diverse for the stories she wanted to tell. She liked her cohort though. Sorry I couldn't provide anything more detailed.

Hi all!

First-time applicant as well. My list is:

- Juilliard

- UT Austin

- Columbia

- UCSD

- Hunter College

- Brooklyn College

- NYU Graduate Musical Theatre Writing

I’ve read through all ten years of this forum (felt a bit like 100 Years of Solitude in its cyclical, epic nature!) and really appreciated what everybody shared, so didn’t want to just keep lurking!

@Mel Rose  @Agez@Coffee&Flowers Looking forward to going through the process with you. I invite anyone else who’s applying this year to come out of the woodwork and say hello!

@brillantina I similarly would love to hear more about Brooklyn College’s program, and if there’s a sense that Tina Satter and Anne Washburn will stick around or are only interim?

I’ve found Hunter and Brooklyn are the two programs hardest to find current info on. If anybody has info on what Hunter’s program is like under its current leadership (Christine Scarfuto), that would be much appreciated.

Also wanted to express gratitude to all the past applicants, current MFA students and graduates who continue to share your insights on this forum! Thanks for looking out for us!

On 11/24/2020 at 8:09 AM, Coffee&Flowers said:

Thank you! 

I interviewed with CMU last year, so I can add a little bit to what @Agez said. In addition to Rob, Melissa Martin teaches screenwriting, which is connected to the Sloan foundation contest for science/technology based screenplays. Both Rob and Melissa are super cool and nice, based on my interview with them! They accept 4 a year, and it's a 2 year program.

I made wait-list last year and was really reaaaaally looking forward to applying again this year, but holy smokes did the past 8 months throw things for a loop.

18 hours ago, sandringham said:

Hi all!

- Juilliard

- UT Austin

- Columbia

- UCSD

- Hunter College

- Brooklyn College

I’ve read through all ten years of this forum (felt a bit like 100 Years of Solitude in its cyclical, epic nature!) and really appreciated what everybody shared, so didn’t want to just keep lurking!

@Mel Rose  @Agez@Coffee&Flowers Looking forward to going through the process with you. I invite anyone else who’s applying this year to come out of the woodwork and say hello!

@brillantina I similarly would love to hear more about Brooklyn College’s program, and if there’s a sense that Tina Satter and Anne Washburn will stick around or are only interim?

I’ve found Hunter and Brooklyn are the two programs hardest to find current info on. If anybody has info on what Hunter’s program is like under its current leadership (Christine Scarfuto), that would be much appreciated.

Also wanted to express gratitude to all the past applicants, current MFA students and graduates who continue to share your insights on this forum! Thanks for looking out for us!

Hi! I'm a current second year at Hunter College (on here because I'm applying to Juilliard, as many MFA students do!). Christine is an amazing person and I love having my program run by a dramaturg! She's kind, funny, and a wonderful teacher who gives great feedback and is also INCREDIBLY organized (which I think is an extremely rare combo). The way the program is structured is Christine bookends teaching you in two semesters: one is a class on adaptation in your first semester, and then the other is basically gearing you up for your thesis play while also analyzing plays and preparing you for life after the program. Each semester you take a playwriting course w/ a visiting professor that's either focusing on generating pages or revision. Teachers of the last few years have been Lisa D'Amour, Clare Barron, Lloyd Suh, and Maria Striar to name a few. You take 3 courses a semester (on top of the above mentioned: History of Theater for 2 semesters, Play Analysis, and then electives of your choice) and then also have 3-hour master classes w/ different writers every few weeks, and when there wasn't covid, we were seeing plays around New York every 2-3 weeks w/ heavily discounted $10-15 tickets. Your thesis presentation is a weeklong 29-hour workshop with a great director and NY Theater actors. They've been trying to make changes to the program so that your work is heard out loud more and are given more practical experience throughout. The program is all about presenting you with different ways to approach theater instead of forcing you into one mode, and the 5 of us all have really different styles of writing. I've really loved my time in the program and have found the transition to be very smooth...I definitely feel "heard" and they're very open to what students have to say. This website has a bit more info:  https://www.huntertheatre.net/mfa

Feel free (anyone) to message me if they want more info on Hunter!

Edited by rd1222

Hello everyonebeen on-off stalking this forum since quite literally last February; turns out I can only spend so much time re-reading posts at my desk job before giving in and making an account. Figured now was the best time to bite the proverbial bullet and join you all! (May I just say: it's been incredibly nerve-racking and inspiring in equal measure to see everyone's application stories. Also turns out @jamesprongs101 from a few years ago is The Jeremy O. Harris?? Wow. Just read YELL and I'm obsessed.) 

@sandringhamour lists look very similar! Except no Hunter for me (three other schools instead), and Dramatic Writing instead of Musical Theatre Writing at NYU. I dearly love and appreciate anyone who can write musicals because boy oh boy I would be so damn bad at that.

ANYWAY: break a metaphorical leg or five, everyone!! Hope we all get into the best program possible for our artistic development. And also ideally get funding. Funding's good too.

For anyone into UT Austin and is free:

Hello,

I believe I am writing to a group that has either already applied to the University of Texas Playwriting MFA Program or is planning to.

I am writing to let you know I am hosting a 1 hour Q&A this Friday from Noon CST until 1PM CST. I will answer any questions I can about grad school, UT, our faculty and our plans.

You ay share this invite with anyone who would like to join.

If you can’t make it, but you have questions I will try to answer them by email

The Q&A can be accessed thru the Zoom link at the bottom of the invitation.

If you have trouble getting in, text me at this number: 512-527-4118.

Also, at this link is a virtual tour of our facilities: https://vimeo.com/465895007?fbclid=IwAR1eoxqEM4Hoj40uoQis47NY2JnLSVumi1fv5NoWpBVIelrKmlgScum4SZA

GOOD LUCK TO ALL,

KIRK

Here is the zoom link.

Kirk Lynn is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: MFA Q&A

Time: Dec 4, 2020 12:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://utexas.zoom.us/j/9173906030

31 minutes ago, yoinky said:

Hello everyonebeen on-off stalking this forum since quite literally last February; turns out I can only spend so much time re-reading posts at my desk job before giving in and making an account. Figured now was the best time to bite the proverbial bullet and join you all! (May I just say: it's been incredibly nerve-racking and inspiring in equal measure to see everyone's application stories. Also turns out @jamesprongs101 from a few years ago is The Jeremy O. Harris?? Wow. Just read YELL and I'm obsessed.) 

@sandringhamour lists look very similar! Except no Hunter for me (three other schools instead), and Dramatic Writing instead of Musical Theatre Writing at NYU. I dearly love and appreciate anyone who can write musicals because boy oh boy I would be so damn bad at that.

ANYWAY: break a metaphorical leg or five, everyone!! Hope we all get into the best program possible for our artistic development. And also ideally get funding. Funding's good too.

Welcome to the club @yoinky! Where else are you applying? As for musical theatre writing, can’t say I’m any good at it yet either ?!

Had no idea about @jamesprongs101 being Jeremy O. Harris! So cool to follow his journey into grad school (and to hear the stories after!!)

Any other returning applicants here who've drastically rethought their applications this year due to Covid? I was excited to reapply places this year, but at this point I'm not really in a position to pack up and move cross-country in, like, 8 months from now... Especially when there's no guarantee that there will be in person instruction/performances/etc next Fall.

So, I think I'm just applying to UCSD. Only a 20 minute drive for me, and I think I can handle that commute. Otherwise, fingers crossed for 2022!

Hi hi -- if this is helpful, I did a panel with Playwrights Realm a couple weeks back about MFA Playwriting programs, and they just posted the panel here. Schools represented: UCSD, Brooklyn College, Yale, and Ohio U. It taught me a lot about those other schools and how different the programs are. Tanya's take on Brooklyn might be particularly helpful, based on previous questions on here.
Though we all agree: Do not go into debt for your MFA.

Edited by captbaka

@captbaka Wow, thank you SO much for this video! Really appreciate you taking the time to let us know about it. Will definitely be watching when I get off work.

@sandringhamAs of now, my other programs are Northwestern, UCLA, and CMU. Had USC on the list originally and might still apply, but some of the negative comments in here have me...leery of that program now, to put it mildly. Guess we'll see.

47 minutes ago, yoinky said:

@captbaka Wow, thank you SO much for this video! Really appreciate you taking the time to let us know about it. Will definitely be watching when I get off work.

@sandringhamAs of now, my other programs are Northwestern, UCLA, and CMU. Had USC on the list originally and might still apply, but some of the negative comments in here have me...leery of that program now, to put it mildly. Guess we'll see.

@yoinky Solid list. I think the USC deadline has already passed, so maybe the decision was made for you?

I was at the panel that @captbaka linked to, and it was super useful, well worth watching. Really helpful insights and observations from all four folks about the pros and cons of their school. @captbaka Thanks for the link and for your candid remarks! 

On 9/30/2020 at 6:42 PM, Agez said:

Love Anne! I met her earlier this year when she was working on SHIPWRECK in D.C.  I'd love to know about funding and post-COVID production opportunities. How's the department and non-playwriting workshop classes? I also find the website crazy to navigate lol Is administration helpful and communicative?

Hey hey @Agez! Funding is still available, as far as I know -- my in-state tuition was funded for both years, and I know that there are other folks who are funded in the first year. I also love public institutions & was interested in working with undergrads that were at Brooklyn, which has been fun. I also really needed a program I could do while working part- or full-time because I couldn't take on loans to live, so I needed something that wouldn't try to colonize my whole life. My impression is that both Hunter and Brooklyn are the institutions that are best built for working-class folks in NYC, but obviously I'm biased. 

I would say that if you're looking for production opportunities @ Brooklyn College, I wouldn't hold your breath (this kinda kept me on the fence before, but in the end, production opportunities within the program didn't matter to me -- my goals are more to get productions at theaters or other institutions anyhow, and I'd rather learn while on the job). For the old-school "thesis" production that used to be at the Public: the partnership with the Tow Foundation and the Public for what used to be called WeaselFest seems to have fallen through. That being said, that funding and partnership only existed for 3 years.... prior to that, WeaselFest was a lot about self-production, and the legacy of Brooklyn College playwrights has been that they are risk-taking, experimental playwrights who are also self-producers. I would say that remains true and everyone is a badass; but if you're looking for a program that will epically stage your work on their mainstage before you graduate, this isn't it -- this is more of a pipeline to exciting written worlds with very close personal relationships to folks with a huge downtown theater legacy. 

The website IS hard to navigate and the administration can be as well, but if you are good at always asking who the right person to email is, you will find your way. The heads of the program as well as some crucial allies in the English department can be your north star. I've loved the non-playwriting classes I've taken, especially since in the English department you get to work and be mentored by award-winning poets and fiction writers if you so choose. But to be clear: when you choose Brooklyn College, you are choosing a track in the English department -- there are plenty of collaborations with the theater department, but you are not IN the theater department.

Edited by brillantina

On 11/29/2020 at 3:37 AM, sandringham said:

Hi all!

- Juilliard

- UT Austin

- Columbia

- UCSD

- Hunter College

- Brooklyn College

Hey @sandringham-- I would totally totally reach out to the program -- the way I found out more about Brooklyn was by emailing people in the English department. I originally emailed Mac, who then told me he was retiring and forwarded me along to Erin. As far as I know, Tina will be there next year, I don't know about Anne yet. Tina has fostered a great environment and the cohort below me is truly truly gifted and inspiring. Happy to answer other things that weren't already answered in the thread. I continue to be SO happy with my choice even in the midst of a pandemic.

Edited by brillantina