Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Longtime lurker here to say I interviewed with Carnegie Mellon yesterday and it went really well so fingers crossed! It's the only school I've heard back from so far (I applied to Carnegie, USCD, Columbia, NYU, Brooklyn, and Hunter). I'm feeling nervous because it's my first time applying for grad schools. I saw someone else got a USCD interview, so I'm assuming I probably didn't get in :( anyone hear anything from the other four schools? 

1 hour ago, asdfjhgdsgh said:

Hey all, posting not for me but for my girlfriend who's too nervous to check on here herself lol -- she just got into Carnegie Mellon post-interview, and got waitlisted at Pace the other day. Thought I'd add these data points in case they're helpful . Best of luck to everyone on here!!

She already got offered Carnegie? That was quick turnaround! Congrats!

41 minutes ago, jeepersjinkies said:

She already got offered Carnegie? That was quick turnaround! Congrats!

Yeah but iirc her interview was sometime last week or maybe the week before -- so I bet that if yours was just yesterday they're not done sending out acceptances (fingers crossed)!

Just want to jump in and acknowledge that this week and next is going to be heavy traffic for this forum/the results page. Based on last year and the year before, it looks like we can expect to hear back from Northwestern/Hunter this week, NYU next week. And those are just the ones I'm personally following. Good luck, all! And just remember your worth as a writer is not determined by a group of people huddled in an administrative office. :)

16 hours ago, Applicant2021me said:

How long after interviews does pace let you know? He told me they wouldn’t take long but it’s getting close to two weeks since my interview. The waiting is terrible. 

I'm in the same boat! Had my interview at Pace over a week ago and I thought it went really well! He told me I would hear back shortly but I haven't yet and I'm really nervous to know!

15 hours ago, space94 said:

Just want to jump in and acknowledge that this week and next is going to be heavy traffic for this forum/the results page. Based on last year and the year before, it looks like we can expect to hear back from Northwestern/Hunter this week, NYU next week. And those are just the ones I'm personally following. Good luck, all! And just remember your worth as a writer is not determined by a group of people huddled in an administrative office. :)

Thanks for the info! Do you know whether we'll be hearing back on decisions in general or if we're just hearing back about interviews? I applied to all of those schools so I'm just wondering whether or not they're doing interviews/already did them. 

19 hours ago, asdfjhgdsgh said:

Hey all, posting not for me but for my girlfriend who's too nervous to check on here herself lol -- she just got into Carnegie Mellon post-interview, and got waitlisted at Pace the other day. Thought I'd add these data points in case they're helpful . Best of luck to everyone on here!!

Congrats to your gf! Just wondering, did she get an interview at Pace and then hear back about the waitlist or was it sans interview? Thanks!

On 2/12/2021 at 8:52 AM, Agez said:

Update: Got an email from Naomi today saying I should expect to hear from the current MFA cohort soon for a 2nd interview, and for me to ask them any questions I have about the program and their experience. 

Update to the update:

So I found out the 2nd interview is actual casual one-on-ones with the current cohort at UCSD. They were all really awesome and kind, it was a nice "getting to know you "and do you have any questions?" They did this with 4 ppl, I did two meet ups on Sunday, and two on Monday.

Got the call from Naomi early this morning, I'm in! Still processing. It's a quick turn around, have 48 hrs to respond. It's my top choice school so I'm very thankful, I just have to weight it between a job offer at the theatre I work at and love. Stats wise, 94 ppl applied this year, which Naomi made sound was above normal.

Thank y'all for the support through this process, y'all the realest! I know it's a stressful time, and this was only my 2nd round. Sending out good vibes and good luck!

25 minutes ago, Agez said:

Update to the update:

So I found out the 2nd interview is actual casual one-on-ones with the current cohort at UCSD. They were all really awesome and kind, it was a nice "getting to know you "and do you have any questions?" They did this with 4 ppl, I did two meet ups on Sunday, and two on Monday.

Got the call from Naomi early this morning, I'm in! Still processing. It's a quick turn around, have 48 hrs to respond. It's my top choice school so I'm very thankful, I just have to weight it between a job offer at the theatre I work at and love. Stats wise, 94 ppl applied this year, which Naomi made sound was above normal.

Thank y'all for the support through this process, y'all the realest! I know it's a stressful time, and this was only my 2nd round. Sending out good vibes and good luck!

Woot! Congratulations! 

And a serious thanks to you for sharing so much of your knowledge/insight from last cycle. It has been so hugely helpful for those of us on our first round. 

It must be such a relief to have a solid decision this early & to maybe be able to breathe again!

4 hours ago, Agez said:

Wow, @Agez - that's amazing! UCSD seems like such an incredible program. A huge congrats!!

5 hours ago, Agez said:

Update to the update:

Congrats @Agez!! Must feel so great to get into your top choice school!! Thanks for sharing all these details on the process. Wishing you clarity in your decision-making!

7 hours ago, Agez said:

Update to the update:

Omg CONGRATS!!! It's so exciting to see (if I'm not mistaken) the first official acceptance in this group. Proud of you!

Thank you all, so SO much! I haven't properly celebrated, but this was a great reminder to. Y'all are the best!

58 minutes ago, nickelmoop said:

@Agezyou are a a star!!!!!!!! it's such a great program. celebrating you! also you probably know this but the 48 hour thing seems unfair. i feel strongly that, should you need it, you could petition for more time as you weigh your options. 

You're right, it is really quick, and I could probably ask for more time, but honestly I'm an over thinker and I feel like the more time I give myself, the deeper the rabbit hole lol I'm trying to learn to go with my gut more.

On 2/16/2021 at 12:08 PM, seasickmermaid said:

Congrats to your gf! Just wondering, did she get an interview at Pace and then hear back about the waitlist or was it sans interview? Thanks!

Yes, interview like two-two and a half weeks ago, I think, and then waitlist maybe a week after that just via an update on the applicant portal.

Not a playwriting applicant but popping in here anyway because it's the closest related active thread I can find!

I applied to Carnegie Mellon's Stage & Production Management MFA program and got an interview invite on February 1st. Had the interview last week and they said I'd hear back by mid March. 

I also applied to UNCSA (University of North Carolina School of the Arts) and was accepted back in November.