Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Anyone who applied to UCLA and Northwestern not hear anything? Not even an interview request? It’s hard cause I don’t think UCLA even has a portal. But I fucked up that application tbh so I’m not expecting anything from them lol. Been waiting for the rejection since I submitted.

52 minutes ago, Applicant2021me said:

Anyone who applied to UCLA and Northwestern not hear anything? Not even an interview request? It’s hard cause I don’t think UCLA even has a portal. But I fucked up that application tbh so I’m not expecting anything from them lol. Been waiting for the rejection since I submitted.

Same for me. Small sample size but, this would lead one to believe it wasn't your application... unless we both fucked it up :), quite possible.  

9 hours ago, ZoraNeale2021 said:

@sandringham congrats on Hunter! That program seems amazing!!!! 

2 hours ago, broccolini said:

@sandringhamYes, congrats!!! You must be so thrilled :) hope you're celebrating

Thanks friends!!! It feels amazing to have been accepted into a program, and from what I can tell (from thousands of miles away), Hunter's seems like a really good fit for me. The reality of moving to NYC and starting grad school in the fall is starting to set in, which is its own scariness, but I'm trying to celebrate this victory now and not worry too much about the future.

I will say that the more research that I do and the more current and graduated MFA students that I talk to, the more I get the sense that while it's a wonderful boost to artistic and career development, an MFA in Playwriting really isn't the end all and be all, and doesn't make or break anyone.

All's to say that I know everyone on this forum, whether they go to grad school or not this fall, will keep writing plays, developing as an artist, and frankly, will have to keep hustling. I'm grateful to share this journey with all of you and hope the rest of this application season sets us all on the right paths for ourselves! 

16 hours ago, sandringham said:

Thanks friends!!! It feels amazing to have been accepted into a program, and from what I can tell (from thousands of miles away), Hunter's seems like a really good fit for me. The reality of moving to NYC and starting grad school in the fall is starting to set in, which is its own scariness, but I'm trying to celebrate this victory now and not worry too much about the future.

I will say that the more research that I do and the more current and graduated MFA students that I talk to, the more I get the sense that while it's a wonderful boost to artistic and career development, an MFA in Playwriting really isn't the end all and be all, and doesn't make or break anyone.

All's to say that I know everyone on this forum, whether they go to grad school or not this fall, will keep writing plays, developing as an artist, and frankly, will have to keep hustling. I'm grateful to share this journey with all of you and hope the rest of this application season sets us all on the right paths for ourselves! 

yes to all of this!! thank you and congrats!!

regardless of the results, to apply to grad school is a feat in itself and we should definitely make the time to honor the work, blood, sweat, and tears sacrificed to get to this point. i hope all of you can step away from this forum from time to time, take a breath, and celebrate the badazz that is you and your work. you did the thing—applying to grad school—but echoing sandringham that is not the end all be all and there is not one “right” way to grow as a playwright. existing is enough, existing is enough!!

if y’all ever need to vent / chat / take a breath / celebrate you, know that my inbox is always open!

happy thurs yall and all the best!

FYI, received an interview request yesterday via email for the MFA Writing for Stage & Broadcast Media at Royal Central School of Speech and Drama. Looks like it's going to be a group session ("in which we will discuss the course as a group") followed by a 1 to 1. Can't remember if anyone else on this forum applied to this program but would be interested in chatting if you have!

Hey everyone. I’ve been staying away from GradCafe this year bc mental health Just thought I’d pop in and share where I’m at in the process. This is my second year applying. 

Carnegie Mellon - waitlisted with no interview (I interviewed there last year and was waitlisted after)

Northwestern - Interviewed on 2/26. No word yet.

UCSD - Nicely rejected by Naomi Iizuka personally and received several automated rejections.

Brown - Rejected

Hunter - Radio silence (assuming a no)

Brooklyn - Radio silence

Hope everyone is hanging in there!

On 3/11/2021 at 8:08 PM, Penny Jar said:

Hello all! Just wondering if anyone has heard anything from Juilliard yet? 

I also applied, nothing yet but if I remember correctly their website said they'd start contacting people no sooner than April 15th. 

i have also interviewed from NYU and haven't heard anything since, anyone know when they notify typically?

& also on the juilliard train but that feels so far if they won't start contacting until april 15... have debated withdrawing my app but who knows.

5 minutes ago, cheesy said:

i have also interviewed from NYU and haven't heard anything since, anyone know when they notify typically?

& also on the juilliard train but that feels so far if they won't start contacting until april 15... have debated withdrawing my app but who knows.

last year it was march 16th so i'm hoping tomorrow...

this is hoooorrible. and phoebe bridgers didn't even win a grammy yesterday. HELP!

15 minutes ago, broccolini said:

last year it was march 16th so i'm hoping tomorrow...

this is hoooorrible. and phoebe bridgers didn't even win a grammy yesterday. HELP!

the way that i felt so personally attacked when that happened....sheeeeesh!!!!

hoping for good omens only~

5 minutes ago, cheesy said:

the way that i felt so personally attacked when that happened....sheeeeesh!!!!

hoping for good omens only~

literally!!! tragic but glad we are on the same page at least...

I am sending good vibes out into the universe for me and you both... (basically that just means getting drunk off rosé rn...but hey...it works sometimes)

Edited by broccolini

NYU portals have updated, for those waiting on that one! I've been waitlisted. 

I'm now on a small handful of waiting lists, checking my email obsessively (even though I swore I wouldn't) and slowly losing my mind, but it's all good :) Still hoping for some good news before the season is out!

i’m in at NYU! depending on what the financial aid package looks like, i’ll be either accepting / declining. either way, there will be a spot opening up either at UT or NYU! 

congrats all and to everyone still waiting on responses, sending all the good energy your way!