Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Just now, broccolini said:

@natalinalI was also waitlisted from Northwestern. I'm trying to view it as a win (because it is) but I honestly just feel so defeated.

omg congrats//100% same. I was very caught off guard by that intense 10 minute interview! I didn't apply to any other playwriting programs because I liked the screenwriting/playwriting combo at NU. Did you hear from anywhere else?

11 minutes ago, natalinal said:

omg congrats//100% same. I was very caught off guard by that intense 10 minute interview! I didn't apply to any other playwriting programs because I liked the screenwriting/playwriting combo at NU. Did you hear from anywhere else?

Omg right?! It was sooo intense. My heart was beating so fast for like days afterwards. I also love the screenwriting/playwriting combo which is what got me so excited about NU & NYU (which I was also just waitlisted from....blehhh...not feeling too hot rn)

but congrats to you as well...hopefully we’ll be getting good news soon. Although I can’t believe we’ve been thrust into yet another waiting zone....painful ? 

Just now, broccolini said:

Omg right?! It was sooo intense. My heart was beating so fast for like days afterwards. I also love the screenwriting/playwriting combo which is what got me so excited about NU & NYU (which I was also just waitlisted from....blehhh...not feeling too hot rn)

but congrats to you as well...hopefully we’ll be getting good news soon. Although I can’t believe we’ve been thrust into yet another waiting zone....painful ? 

yes, the waiting and not being able to envision the next half year of your life is brutal. in addition to not being able to update loved ones ? but good luck to you too!! now that ive discovered this forum, i will be checking it every day!

3 minutes ago, natalinal said:

yes, the waiting and not being able to envision the next half year of your life is brutal. in addition to not being able to update loved ones ? but good luck to you too!! now that ive discovered this forum, i will be checking it every day!

You and I really are on the exact same page, so at least there’s comfort in that. Envisioning my life has been such a huge part of this process, feeling like if I got in somewhere I could finally break free from this living at home monotony (which I’m sure many of us can relate to given the pandemic). I was so hoping for some good news after a total shit year. Glad you found this forum, it’s helped me so much to not be in the dark. It’s been a welcome and needed community :)  

@natalinal @broccolini same boat here. Glad to not be alone in this weird feeling. Trying to stay hopeful... but it’s hard, not gonna lie. The waiting and uncertainty of this whole year has been the hardest part, and it’s for sure  difficult to have it all prolonged. Hang in there! 

10 minutes ago, Mel Rose said:

@natalinal @broccolini same boat here. Glad to not be alone in this weird feeling. Trying to stay hopeful... but it’s hard, not gonna lie. The waiting and uncertainty of this whole year has been the hardest part, and it’s for sure  difficult to have it all prolonged. Hang in there! 

You got this! ❤️ a weird feeling INDEED, but together, a little less weird ❤️

Congrats @PlayWitch and @cheesy on NYU! And everyone else for these waitlists! That's a major accomplishment in and of itself.

I can't speak for all programs, but I think more and more are starting to accept they NEED to include screenwriting/ tv writing in their syllabi because playwrights need those skills to work. I remember Columbia mentioned doing more, especially considering their location, and UCSD has such classes as well. 

I know there are not enough comforting words, but its truly not over until its over. Ppl in this forum have had things switch up come April- June. I understand tempering expectations, but you honestly never know.

Also, this is EXPECTED to be a multi-year process! Going your first or even second round is not the norm! For the podcast lovers, I highly recommend American Theatre Magazine's The Subtext. A playwright interviews playwrights and gets to know their journey, and no 2 are alike. Some ppl apply on a whim and get in, others go through the process on and off for YEARS, and some don't even go at all. But they all find their way. 

3 hours ago, Agez said:

Congrats @PlayWitch and @cheesy on NYU! And everyone else for these waitlists! That's a major accomplishment in and of itself.

I can't speak for all programs, but I think more and more are starting to accept they NEED to include screenwriting/ tv writing in their syllabi because playwrights need those skills to work. I remember Columbia mentioned doing more, especially considering their location, and UCSD has such classes as well. 

I know there are not enough comforting words, but its truly not over until its over. Ppl in this forum have had things switch up come April- June. I understand tempering expectations, but you honestly never know.

Also, this is EXPECTED to be a multi-year process! Going your first or even second round is not the norm! For the podcast lovers, I highly recommend American Theatre Magazine's The Subtext. A playwright interviews playwrights and gets to know their journey, and no 2 are alike. Some ppl apply on a whim and get in, others go through the process on and off for YEARS, and some don't even go at all. But they all find their way. 

Thanks @Agez! And @broccolini and @natalinal, everybody I talk to keeps saying that being on multiple waiting lists means that chances aren’t too shabby for getting in somewhere, so I’m holding onto that hope for now, at least for another month...
Definitely will be checking out that podcast!
And yes! I’ve noticed that some programs seem to embrace screenwriting/television writing, while others see it as less of an artistic craft. Throughout this process (and this crazy year in general), I’ve really come to realize my strengths as a writer lean toward the cinematic, and I’ve gotten much clearer about my goals as a playwright/TV-writer combo. If I have to apply next year, will hone in only on programs that support that, including adding some screenwriting programs to the mix. 

I guess I’ve seen this year how important having quality writing on episodic series/TV is for people...like, on a human level. So many people seem to have gotten through quarantine with a TV series or two, and it makes me realize that it’s really a quite essential art form, even though it gets a bad rap in terms of artistic merit. Plus, most of the best TV writers are badass playwrights in their own right. I hope programs embrace this medium because it means more opportunities for us to tell stories.

Waitlisted at Columbia! Who else heard?

I think thus ends my grad journey. 

UBC, BROWN - NO

SARAH LAWRENCE - CALLBACK/WITHDREW APPLICATION 

COLUMBIA - WAITLISTED

UTA - ADMITTED w/ the intention to accept. 

very proud of folks for writing and applying through the impossible year and thanks for this sweet forum. been a joy. 

I received my Columbia rejection.

So far it's:

MFA Playwriting Round 1

USCD - Rejection

Hunter - Rejection

Brooklyn - Pending

Carnegie - Pending + Interview

NYU - Rejection

Columbia - Rejection

I feel like the fact I got an interview at Carnegie (especially having been their youngest candidate as I was told) is a good first start :) I'm not deterred by the rejections because I will just reapply next year. I got into my acting program for undergrad the second year I applied anyways, so being rejected first and then succeeding the next try isn't new to me and just motivates me to keep going. Congrats to those who got in!! And those of us like me just getting rejected round one, we're gonna be ok ❤️ 

Edited by jeepersjinkies

Hey, y’all.

I received a very nice rejection from Christine Scarfuto at Hunter yesterday. 

I’m in limbo with Northwestern. Didn’t receive a waitlist email last night, but haven’t gotten an acceptance or rejection. If anyone has any additional info that would be super helpful.

Also, has anyone received a waitlist or rejection email from Brooklyn? I saw that some people received acceptance notifications on Monday but I haven’t gotten anything. 

The anticipation is killing me. ?

8 hours ago, waitingandwaitingmaybe21 said:

Not a single interview - wondering if my chances are really shot with all the places I have applied because of that. Anyone know of any school doing super late interviews?

The rejections are rolling in as well. 

This was my third year of applying. Zilch the first year, waitlisted at NYU the second year, and now I'm finally in at NYU. It's rough, for sure, but it's a process!

Really heartbroken to have gotten a rejection from Columbia today. I know this is my first year and I shouldn't expect anything, but David Henry Hwang told me I was fantastic and ended the interview saying "bye for now" and I don't know why he would say that if it was just going to be a rejection. It feels like I was led on. Anyone else had any experiences like this? Why do interviewers give us false hope? 

3 minutes ago, seasickmermaid said:

Really heartbroken to have gotten a rejection from Columbia today. I know this is my first year and I shouldn't expect anything, but David Henry Hwang told me I was fantastic and ended the interview saying "bye for now" and I don't know why he would say that if it was just going to be a rejection. It feels like I was led on. Anyone else had any experiences like this? Why do interviewers give us false hope? 

I totally know how you feel. I would say that if you made it to the interview round, your work was stellar. Making it that far is truly a triumph. Lots of different reasons weigh into getting in or not and it probably has nothing to do with you and more to do with space and what they were looking for this round. 

I didn't get into my top program for acting my freshman year of undergrad. I reauditioned and got in. I didn't get into Columbia or NYU (my top programs) this year, I will reapply next year!

If you need someone to talk to through the next cycle, feel free to reach out :) This isn't the end! Just the beginning. 

31 minutes ago, seasickmermaid said:

That's so misleading, i'm sorry. it sucks when you feel like an interview went well. 

Edited by natalinal

1 hour ago, seasickmermaid said:

hey, I completely empathize with this. I came out of my interviews feeling on top of the world. I literally said to my family, "that went so well, there's no way I won't get in!" and then...well...UGH. It's so easy to feel like shit after not getting the news you were hoping for, or to feel like your interviewers were playing you (trust me, I FEEL THIS). But I think if your interviewer expressed interest in you, it's 10000% genuine. They have absolutely no reason to lie. But yeah, like @jeepersjinkiessaid, there are so many factors that go into this. I felt such a wonderful bond with my NYU interviewer, I like to think she fought for me in the decision room. I bet DHH fought for you as well ❤️ 

Full disclosure, I went into a deep despair when I didn't get in. I stayed in bed for two straight days and told myself I was a complete loser (hahahaha honestly DON'T DO THIS). It's crazy because, I would never say that to anyone, especially not to you wonderful people who I only know through internet screen names...so why am I beating myself up so bad? We have done something so beautiful and incredible. Sharing writing that we believe in to a group of strangers, leaving ourselves open for rejection and vulnerability, I just think that is so brave of all of us. And I deeply admire this group's efforts and perseverance. I think that the people who make it as artists in this world are the people that never give up. ❤️ (trust me, I still feel sad! And I, myself, am trying to believe in my own  words. It's hard and I be strugglin')

@jeepersjinkies @natalinal @broccolini Thank you so much for your kind responses : ) Broccolini, I feel everything you're saying, I also have fallen into a pit of despair, but I'm grateful that everyone here is so supportive of each other and that I've found other people on the internet who are also going through this! I appreciate you all so much!

Hey guys! 

I don't know if this will be helpful or frightening for some people, but I think I should just say that this was actually my third cycle, as well. In fact, it was my third time applying to some of these same schools. I was waitlisted at both USC and NYU this year, and because this is my third cycle I am obviously frustrated, exhausted, and probably a little wounded. The ultimate irony is to wait for so long (literally three years) to hear back in a positive manner from a single program only to be placed on a list literally titled "waitlist." As though I haven't been? But honestly, while I know graduate school is something I want to do for myself at some point, when I think about my life over the last few years, I've gotten a lot of opportunities I wouldn't have otherwise had. For example: between submitting my last application hearing back about the first interview, I was selected for a really cool residency for the exact play I submitted to all these schools. Last year while I was waiting, I got a request from a theatre company to produce the play for which I didn't get a single interview. And this is just writing-related stuff. I've had an amazing few years even without the validation of getting into a program. 

I don't know, I guess my point is that it really sucks to get rejected and/or not get in on first offer, but "career" has developed itself outside the incubator of graduate school. I still want to go (see some of you next year for round four) but I guess I'm just saying that life is crazy and your career doesn't stop--or end--when you enter graduate school. 

That's not to take away from anyone else who did get into a program this year. Congrats! It's a big achievement!

This is the sad part of the year where we all slowly disperse from this site, but if anyone wants to link up outside the forum, feel free to DM me and I'll give you my Facebook/NPX/whatever. Otherwise, best of luck with everything to everyone! 

Congrats @nickelmoop! I was also waitlisted at Columbia today.

Thank you to the folks above for sharing their stories. This is my first year applying and Columbia is the only school I’ve had a positive response from so far. I knew going into this year that I wasn’t likely to get in anywhere on my first try, so these testimonials from you guys who have kept plugging away at it are really encouraging to read. I’ve loved being a part of this forum and am so grateful to y’all for being such an awesome community/resource/support structure. 

Just here to say getting on a waitlist for grad school is NOT like it was for undergrad! They select their waitlists carefully and there aren't many people on them, which means you have a genuine chance of getting in - just one person has to say no, and there's always at least one person who does, for a variety of reasons. So basically, don't despair if you're on a waitlist, you have a fair chance of getting admitted if you did!

As someone who graduated a few years ago with my MFA, I just wanted to pop in here to say not to despair with waiting lists. The wait lists are typically small and you have a great chance of either getting a spot that opens up, or getting an offer of admission the following year.

Source: I was waitlisted to my MFA program along with 3 other people. Myself and one other person got in and the other two joined the program the following year.

Best of luck and congratulations everyone!

Edited by DoctorMusical

On 3/17/2021 at 2:50 PM, sns1106 said:

Hey, y’all.

I received a very nice rejection from Christine Scarfuto at Hunter yesterday. 

I’m in limbo with Northwestern. Didn’t receive a waitlist email last night, but haven’t gotten an acceptance or rejection. If anyone has any additional info that would be super helpful.

Also, has anyone received a waitlist or rejection email from Brooklyn? I saw that some people received acceptance notifications on Monday but I haven’t gotten anything. 

The anticipation is killing me. ?

I also haven't heard anything from them which makes me think it is probably a no considering people have heard already about acceptance and wait-list... Was holding out hope as it was the only school I haven't heard from yet. Beating myself up for only applying to 4 (very competitive) programs. 

2 hours ago, DoctorMusical said:

As someone who graduated a few years ago with my MFA, I just wanted to pop in here to say not to despair with waiting lists. The wait lists are typically small and you have a great chance of either getting a spot that opens up, or getting an offer of admission the following year.

Source: I was waitlisted to my MFA program along with 3 other people. Myself and one other person got in and the other two joined the program the following year.

Best of luck and congratulations everyone!

And just on the flip side, as someone who was 1st on the waitlist at Brown and got an interview with UCSD, sometimes you don't get off the waitlist and don't even get interviewed the next year you apply ?

Anywho, it seems like at least one person on this site got an acceptance from Brooklyn College and two more got waitlist notifications, but no one has gotten rejections yet? Just curious because I think they usually release all decisions at once so I'm not sure what to think about this delay ?  Has anyone else has heard from them?