Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Waitlisted at Brown -- got a nice, personalized email from Julia Jarcho. Not amazing news, but not bad either! Grateful that I'm still even being considered and that the admissions team liked my work (and also managed to tolerate my absolutely-fucking-unhinged personality). 

@ZoraNeale2021 Fingers crossed that you got better news and will be indulging in plenty of New England seafood (if you eat that stuff!!!!) this fall!

Edited by Tarantinoverse

I also got a "no" from Brown.

Wondering if everyone who applied to UCSD other than me officially heard back by now? Knowing that @Agezis in - and having seen that several other people shared on the Results page that they got emails with their official status last weekend - I'm wondering if I should email UCSD and inquire where things stand for me?

@ZoraNeale2021 Aw man! I was hoping one of us would have some luck. But here's to us, the folks on the short stack. ? And omg, we very well might be twins. Def felt I was babbling, but apparently it wasn't too much of a turn-off. I applied to UT, Juilliard, and UCSD. Speaking of:

@Coffee&Flowers I think it's safe to email! I got a (graced with a touch of virtual kindness lol) rejection email from Naomi ~last week. Might be an opportunity to see if feedback or anything like that is available.

Had my Columbia interview early this afternoon! I spoke to David Henry Hwang and Morgan Jenness and it was absolutely lovely—they were both able to speak about specific aspects of my play and items on my resume in the short time that we had, which was really cool. Wishing the best to our other Columbia interviewees today and tomorrow!

I'm confused because I have not gotten a no or waitlist from Brown, but I didn't get an interview, so I had assumed it was a no. Does anybody know more about their process, do they let people know in waves, is there a chance they do interviews in waves? 

Also @Strelka congrats on your Columbia interview! I just had mine and it was very exciting! They said they'd get back to me in a week or so!

the next couple weeks (if last year's time line holds up) will be filled with decisions from many schools. i wanted to repost a blurb of something Jeremy O. Harris said on this very thread in 2016 about the process of applying to grad school:

"WE FUCKING WROTE FULL LENGTH PLAYS, WE WROTE MULTIPLE STATEMENTS OF PURPOSE, WE MADE PEOPLE PONDER THE UNIVERSES WE SEE WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES AND DREAM."

so, no matter what, we can't forget all the hard work we've done and how much it's made us grow as humans and artists. i'm scared and haven't been sleeping much, but i keep coming back to this.

xo

39 minutes ago, broccolini said:

the next couple weeks (if last year's time line holds up) will be filled with decisions from many schools. i wanted to repost a blurb of something Jeremy O. Harris said on this very thread in 2016 about the process of applying to grad school:

"WE FUCKING WROTE FULL LENGTH PLAYS, WE WROTE MULTIPLE STATEMENTS OF PURPOSE, WE MADE PEOPLE PONDER THE UNIVERSES WE SEE WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES AND DREAM."

so, no matter what, we can't forget all the hard work we've done and how much it's made us grow as humans and artists. i'm scared and haven't been sleeping much, but i keep coming back to this.

xo

This is good. So far, I've only got 2 rejections from 11 apps, and that's it - no interviews or anything else. Trying not to count myself out, but the crying and stress, and stress dreams, lol. I needed to hear this. ❤️ 

Just got an acceptance into Iowa! Very excited.

Question for the group: Iowa is asking for a decision by March 15th. I still haven't heard anything from UCSD and UT so I'm assuming it's a no based on this forum, but would like to get the official word before I make my final decision. Any advice? 

Congratulations @smalliebiggz!!! @Tarantinoverse and @ZoraNeale2021 fingers crossed you get off the waitlist and get to meet each other/discover you’re long lost twins!

I found out this morning I got accepted to Hunter!!!! Really thrilled, have loved everyone I’ve talked to there!! 

Also part of the Columbia DHH Morgan Jenness interview crew, so wanna see things through there before making a decision.

Sending sunshine out there to soothe stinging rejections. I’m in the same boat as many with implied rejections from UCSD and UT Austin and no official word. Hoping for good news for all of us in the coming weeks!! 

On 3/8/2021 at 5:12 PM, broccolini said:

@smalliebiggzwoah, congratulations!!! Incredible news :)

I would let UCSD know about the situation. Be like "I have a time sensitive offer from another school. I was wondering if there is any news concerning my admissions status? Any information would be very helpful."

Thanks for the advice! I emailed exactly what you said and got the official rejection today from UCSD. Never feels good but glad to have made the cut at one of my schools :D