Playwriting MFAs

dampka

1 hour ago, tantodano said:

And just on the flip side, as someone who was 1st on the waitlist at Brown and got an interview with UCSD, sometimes you don't get off the waitlist and don't even get interviewed the next year you apply ?

Anywho, it seems like at least one person on this site got an acceptance from Brooklyn College and two more got waitlist notifications, but no one has gotten rejections yet? Just curious because I think they usually release all decisions at once so I'm not sure what to think about this delay ?  Has anyone else has heard from them?

I broke down and emailed them (and Northwestern) today. Haven’t heard anything. I’ll keep you posted if I do, though. My Brooklyn portal says my application is still “in review.” ?

Edited by sns1106

Anyone familiar with Ohio's timeline? They're one of the last schools I have to hear from. I know their decisions and deadlines are later, generally speaking, but I'm wondering if anyone here has heard yet or been interviewed this year? Just contacted them, but haven't received a reply yet.

22 hours ago, Mel Rose said:

Anyone familiar with Ohio's timeline? They're one of the last schools I have to hear from. I know their decisions and deadlines are later, generally speaking, but I'm wondering if anyone here has heard yet or been interviewed this year? Just contacted them, but haven't received a reply yet.

And...just to share the answer to my own question...(in case others are following) I just got a reply from Erik R at Ohio U, expressing that they are making decisions about candidates this coming week, and plan to begin reaching out to finalists about interviews the following week.

4 hours ago, Applicant2021me said:

I saw on the results page two people got rejections from northwestern. Did anyone else hear anything?

I know it’s going to be a rejection for me I’m just tired of waiting for it tbh hahah 

@Applicant2021me did you interview with NU? they sent out a few waitlists on March 14th-ish

1 hour ago, Mel Rose said:

And...just to share the answer to my own question...(in case others are following) I just got a reply from Erik R at Ohio U, expressing that they are making decisions about candidates this coming week, and plan to begin reaching out to finalists about interviews the following week.

Thanks reporting back! I’ve been wondering about Ohio myself. :)

I'm piping in because i've been lurking. It was - and sort of still is? - my plan to apply for 2022. But I am meeting with the University of Manchester tomorrow to find out their timeline and more details (UK schools accept applications into the summer, so... maybe this year after all?) I am an older student returning after a 20 year gap and I sort of feel, of a sudden, like anything might be possible. 

Or, after reading 119 pages of this forum, like it might take me multiple years to get this right. One or the other. Who can say? 

Fingers firmly crossed.

best of luck to you @bold ! anything is possible, trust that instinct!! 

and random, but for friends who may be looking at NYU, i know most accepted will be getting financial assistance responses at the earliest mid next week. i’ve also heard it could be end of next week. i hope for a response soon so i can figure out where ill be committing to, but just for those who are WL and may want some timeline context. 

and anooootha question, juilliard seems like more unknown territory on here as well. anybody have any more info / updates about them and their response schedule? would it be strange to email them and inquire about timeline... i kind of want to get responses out as soon as i can blarrrrgh 

I'm thinking that Juilliard (the only program I applied to because I already have my MFA) is letting rejections know my April 15th because that's the official deadline when you have to respond if you are attending or not to any program (regardless of what schools say to pressure you, lol) They always let the people who they want first so I'm feeling like the reach outs to the ones they want are happening soon - anyone tag me if you hear news please!

21 hours ago, cheesy said:

best of luck to you @bold ! anything is possible, trust that instinct!! 

and random, but for friends who may be looking at NYU, i know most accepted will be getting financial assistance responses at the earliest mid next week. i’ve also heard it could be end of next week. i hope for a response soon so i can figure out where ill be committing to, but just for those who are WL and may want some timeline context. 

and anooootha question, juilliard seems like more unknown territory on here as well. anybody have any more info / updates about them and their response schedule? would it be strange to email them and inquire about timeline... i kind of want to get responses out as soon as i can blarrrrgh 

Thank you so much @cheesy for keeping us wait-listers in the loop! 

Juilliard: Didn't apply, but from what I recall hearing from other playwrights I know, rejections are kinda rolling through April-May. I remember hearing that rejections often happen after April 15, but if you're still being considered they email you before then. I guess because they are more like a fellowship, their timeline is different. 

Hey all!! Congrats to those who have received acceptances.

Anyone (especially others who interviewed there) hear from UCLA yet? I interviewed over a month ago; nothing but radio silence since. This is pretty much the last school hanging in the balance for me (~technically~ still waiting on Brooklyn and Juilliard as well, but, ha). I'm kind of assuming it's gonna be a no, but at this point I'd just like to know so I can get housing plans for next year squared away, whether in [current location] or LA.

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking mostly, but I just want to hop on to say it might be worth checking your Brooklyn College portal. I just went on and there was an admission decision (rejection) posted yesterday, but I never got an email or anything.

I know they're in a state of transition right now (given that Mac Wellman and Erin Courtney left last year), so that may explain why the rollout was so clumsy.

38 minutes ago, miltoniagable16 said:

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking mostly, but I just want to hop on to say it might be worth checking your Brooklyn College portal. I just went on and there was an admission decision (rejection) posted yesterday, but I never got an email or anything.

I know they're in a state of transition right now (given that Mac Wellman and Erin Courtney left last year), so that may explain why the rollout was so clumsy.

Thanks for the tip! Just checked; it's an R here as well.

@yoinky I am in the same boat for UCLA. Unfortunately all I know is that during my interview, they told me their interview process takes a while and couldn't give me a real estimate about when I would hear by. I went looking through the results page and it seems like the times people hear are not consistent from year to year either. I've also heard that in the past there's been a second round of interviews, but I don't know whether that is happening this year. I know the wait is super frustrating, sorry that's all the info I got. 

Thanks @miltoniagable16 for the heads-up! That’s it for me this round. My summary:

UCSD: rejected

UT Austin: rejected

Hunter: interviewed and accepted

Columbia: interviewed and waitlisted

NYU Musical Theatre: interviewed and accepted

Brooklyn: rejected

Juilliard: ???

I’m really excited to be heading to Hunter College! Have loved everyone I talked to there and the program’s a great fit for what I need right now.

Thanks all for being on this journey together, really such a comfort through these stressful few months. Looking forward to meeting more of you NYC playwrights in person. Sending good wishes to everyone on waitlists/waiting for news!!!

20 hours ago, sandringham said:

Thanks @miltoniagable16 for the heads-up! That’s it for me this round. My summary:

UCSD: rejected

UT Austin: rejected

Hunter: interviewed and accepted

Columbia: interviewed and waitlisted

NYU Musical Theatre: interviewed and accepted

Brooklyn: rejected

Juilliard: ???

I’m really excited to be heading to Hunter College! Have loved everyone I talked to there and the program’s a great fit for what I need right now.

Thanks all for being on this journey together, really such a comfort through these stressful few months. Looking forward to meeting more of you NYC playwrights in person. Sending good wishes to everyone on waitlists/waiting for news!!!

Yay!! Congrats!!

annnnd thats a wrap for me as well! i've officially declined my offer at NYU, so hopefully that offers another one of y'all a spot. 

my 20-21 recap:

UT Austin: interviewed and accepted 

NYU: interviewed and accepted

Juilliard: ? (will likely withdraw)

thankful for this group and am a good ol mixture of scared/happy to be leaving NY for TX! i'm so grateful to all of you, please don't be a stranger and hmu in my inbox if you ever want to link / chat beyond this crazy forum. all the best to you!!