Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Just received a notification from Columbia that I've been waitlisted (!! actually extremely excited about this news) and received an (official) rejection email from BU after a lovely email from Kate on Friday. Fingers crossed!! And, congrats @shortymcshortz :) Hope we get to be in the same cohort.

Hope everyone is staying physically and mentally healthy this week, and for the coming weeks... We'll get through this and heck, I think we'll make even better art because of it.

Love to y'all. Wild times. Wild, wild times.

I'm seeing a lot of waitlisted peeps on here. 

I'm new to this process, so what are the chances of actually getting into a program if you're on the WL, especially the small ones like BU or Brown?

4 hours ago, Ezra Brain said:

Sameeee. Does anyone know how many people they accept a year?

I was able to speak with a current student earlier this year who said her cohort is 24 and the cohort before hers was also 24, leaving 48 in the program overall. 

On 3/9/2020 at 10:48 PM, shortymcshortz said:

hi guys, hope everyone is staying safe and staying inside in these trying times. I just put this on the "results" page but just to share here -- i just got an email informing me i'm waitlisted at Brooklyn College. we'll see how it goes! curious if anyone else has heard.

Edited by anyajessie

Hey folks, congratulations to everyone who's been accepted places!

I just got accepted to Brooklyn College, but I have already committed to The University of Texas, so I will be turning them down. Hope that means something nice for someone on here!

Not sure if anyone else is in the same boat, but U Texas hadn't updated my portal for T&D. I had figured I was rejected, but had to email them to receive confirmation. I ultimately heard from Dr. Andy Grapko who is their graduate coordinator - in case anyone had been looking for a point person!

2 hours ago, sns1106 said:

Not sure if anyone else is in the same boat, but U Texas hadn't updated my portal for T&D. I had figured I was rejected, but had to email them to receive confirmation. I ultimately heard from Dr. Andy Grapko who is their graduate coordinator - in case anyone had been looking for a point person!

I got an email from Dr Grapko earlier today that I was denied. Just checked my portal and it's official!

7 hours ago, Zadican said:

Oh, I almost forgot. Erin Courtney emailed me after I was accepted; she is moving to Northwestern this year. Brooklyn is seeking a new playwright to teach workshops. 

That's interesting. Second playwriting faculty member from BC to move to Northwestern this year.

9 hours ago, Bucky Waters said:

That's interesting. Second playwriting faculty member from BC to move to Northwestern this year.

Hey y'all -- 

Current first-year MFA Playwriting student at Brooklyn, just want to correct the above post: Erin Courtney is the only playwriting faculty in the MFA program that has moved to Northwestern. Mac Wellman, before her, retired at the start of my first year and did not move anywhere. Elana Greenfield, who teaches tutorial, will be staying on. 

To those accepted or waitlisted at Brooklyn, congrats! Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. 

I also received my official rejection notice from UT Austin, but so thankful to Dr. Grapko for her personal response before the automated email went out. I emailed her back and thanked her for being part of my MFA journey. I also got my OFFICIAL acceptance letter from Iowa's graduate division and accepted through the portal. Has anyone else heard from Iowa? Curious to see if anyone'll be joining me. Congrats to the Brooklyn College acceptances BTW!

Just now, zayzay said:

I also received my official rejection notice from UT Austin, but so thankful to Dr. Grapko for her personal response before the automated email went out. I emailed her back and thanked her for being part of my MFA journey. I also got my OFFICIAL acceptance letter from Iowa's graduate division and accepted through the portal. Has anyone else heard from Iowa? Curious to see if anyone'll be joining me. Congrats to the Brooklyn College acceptances BTW!

Hey! Sorry for the radio silence. I'm among the finalists who are waiting to hear on the remaining spots. I'm very much hoping to be there with you in the fall and will let you know what I find out! Hopefully soon, though I believe they've run into delays around funding, plus all the coronavirus uncertainty. So happy for you that you'll be there :)

I got an official Iowa rejection this morning via email. So now, with 4 rejections and 1 waitlist, that's it for me! I'm on the CMU waitlist but I'm not super optimistic about getting in (and with all the zaniness going on, I don't know if I'd be able to move cross-country right now even if I *did* get in).

I'll probably apply again next year. This was my first cycle and I definitely learned a lot about what each of the schools I applied to are looking for. It would've been nice to get any sort of encouraging words from the rejections... They were all just the bland "thanks for applying, we have a decision" form letters, but what can ya do. Onwards and upwards.

Congrats to all y'all who are going off to school in the fall!! If the past months have taught us anything, it's that we all worked out butts off and should be proud!

@celestial nomad Columbia doesn't waitlist for nothing, definitely take it as a win! It's my impression that the waitlist isn't ranked. I know it's very important to our faculty to have a diverse cohort of unique voices so if someone declines a spot they will look at the pool of waitlisted applicants to see who would be a good fit. Last year one person got off the waitlist (and only a week before orientation when someone dropped!) and they are truly one of the most brilliant people I know. Good luck and congratulations ?

4 hours ago, brillantina said:

Hey y'all -- 

Current first-year MFA Playwriting student at Brooklyn, just want to correct the above post: Erin Courtney is the only playwriting faculty in the MFA program that has moved to Northwestern. Mac Wellman, before her, retired at the start of my first year and did not move anywhere. Elana Greenfield, who teaches tutorial, will be staying on. 

To those accepted or waitlisted at Brooklyn, congrats! Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. 

Right. The person I'm thinking of taught undergrads as an adjunct--not involved in the MFA program (besides the fact that she graduated from the BC MFA Playwriting program a few years ago). Still curious about both being recruited by Northwestern in a matter of months!

Sorry to everyone currently experiencing the rejections. And to those sitting on waitlists: I have the highest hopes for your eventual acceptances! Something I think we should talk about maybe a little later down the line is maybe keeping this thread active throughout the summer for those of us planning on re-applying to keep connected and maybe trade statements, etc. We've got a good group here and the 2021 deadlines will be here sooner than we think. Just a thought :)