Choices and Decisions

seung

3 hours ago, Sloproth said:

Hey, I've been lurking on this forum for a week or so and figured I'd finally join the conversation. I've been waitlisted for the program at UVA as well; haven't heard anything for quite a while. Any news for you?

Welcome. Haven't heard anything. My POI emailed me last week saying that we must "wait and see." The April 15th deadline is not far off so take heart. What program did you apply for?

My letter  from UVA informing me of the weightless calls me a "top candidate." Did anyone else receive this freezing too? I'm just wondering if this is just a generic letter, or if there is cause to hope.

1 hour ago, seung said:

My letter  from UVA informing me of the weightless calls me a "top candidate." Did anyone else receive this freezing too? I'm just wondering if this is just a generic letter, or if there is cause to hope.

I applied to the TEC track, and my POI recently conveyed a similar unfortunately vague "wait and see" sentiment to me. W/r/t the "top candidate" thing, it must be generic; my letter said the same. I wonder how much cause there is to hope -- I spoke to a professor there over Skype early on in the app. process, and he told me that, these days, the number of applicants they admit to Theology is "vanishingly small." Hardly an inspiring phrase. But who knows. Time will tell.   

Edited by Sloproth
typos

11 hours ago, Sloproth said:

I applied to the TEC track, and my POI recently conveyed a similar unfortunately vague "wait and see" sentiment to me. W/r/t the "top candidate" thing, it must be generic; my letter said the same. I wonder how much cause there is to hope -- I spoke to a professor there over Skype early on in the app. process, and he told me that, these days, the number of applicants they admit to Theology is "vanishingly small." Hardly an inspiring phrase. But who knows. Time will tell.   

Thanks Sloproth.  I'm also an applicant for the TEC track.  This is the most competitive of the tracks right now, I think. UVA is in such high demand for the kind of work the TEC does.  The fact that all the Ivy League schools reduced their number of seats this year does not help our cause =[ Wishing you the best, though.  Let's keep waiting. If I hear anything, I'll make sure to post it here as soon as I can.  Hope you will do the same!

2 hours ago, seung said:

Thanks Sloproth.  I'm also an applicant for the TEC track.  This is the most competitive of the tracks right now, I think. UVA is in such high demand for the kind of work the TEC does.  The fact that all the Ivy League schools reduced their number of seats this year does not help our cause =[ Wishing you the best, though.  Let's keep waiting. If I hear anything, I'll make sure to post it here as soon as I can.  Hope you will do the same!

I certainly will.

On 3/23/2017 at 4:40 PM, Anxious Annex said:

I just got a fellowship offer from CUA and will be accepting the offer!  If it's any encouragement to anyone here--I will be withdrawing my application from Marquette and Baylor and hopefully improving the chances or expediting the situation for someone here. Best of luck all.

Congrats! What is your area? (If you don't mind me asking...)

1 hour ago, seung said:

Are these schools I'm waitlisted at really not going to say anything until April 15th?!

How many programs are you waitlisted at? I can say that I had every intention of making a decision in early March, but that was not possible for me because I had a few offers to weigh against one another, which took far more time than I had expected. Now that we are more or less in April, people are finalizing their decisions and notifying programs of their declination of offer. This also applies to those holding out committing to a program in hopes of coming off a waitlist at one of their top picks. 

2 minutes ago, turktheman said:

How many programs are you waitlisted at? I can say that I had every intention of making a decision in early March, but that was not possible for me because I had a few offers to weigh against one another, which took far more time than I had expected. Now that we are more or less in April, people are finalizing their decisions and notifying programs of their declination of offer. This also applies to those holding out committing to a program in hopes of coming off a waitlist at one of their top picks. 

Hey turktheman. Weighing decisions carefully is definitely a good idea... I just wish that that didn't come at the cost of leaving people whose last hope is in waitlists in misery and anxiety... lol. I'm waitlisted at 3 programs: Brown, UVA, and PTS. 

3 hours ago, seung said:

Are these schools I'm waitlisted at really not going to say anything until April 15th?!

Hear, Hear. I haven't heard from any of my 4 either. I do already have teaching gigs lined up for the next year at our nearby community college, however, if none of them work out (thankfully!).

2 hours ago, axiomness said:

Hear, Hear. I haven't heard from any of my 4 either. I do already have teaching gigs lined up for the next year at our nearby community college, however, if none of them work out (thankfully!).

Question: what's the process of getting such teaching gigs at a community college? 

16 hours ago, Averroes MD said:

Question: what's the process of getting such teaching gigs at a community college? 

Well, I can't speak on behalf of this process in general, but for me it is just the intersection of reaching out and having the opportunity at hand. I've been teaching there while also in my current program for the last two years. I simply called the director of the humanities area there and it turns out they have had a continual need for adjuncts in Philosophy. I'd recommend simply reaching out to the appropriate contacts of the department you're interested in, whether via e-mail or phone. I've also gotten gigs in my university's language and communications departments doing this.

Basically, send out a lot of e-mails. 

3 hours ago, axiomness said:

Well, I can't speak on behalf of this process in general, but for me it is just the intersection of reaching out and having the opportunity at hand. I've been teaching there while also in my current program for the last two years. I simply called the director of the humanities area there and it turns out they have had a continual need for adjuncts in Philosophy. I'd recommend simply reaching out to the appropriate contacts of the department you're interested in, whether via e-mail or phone. I've also gotten gigs in my university's language and communications departments doing this.

Basically, send out a lot of e-mails. 

Great, thanks!

Looks like UVA has been sending out rejections over the past few days.  As for the waitlist, I am discouraged, to say the least.  Including myself and @Sloproth, I know of 3 people who are on the waitlist for the TEC program--this indicates that it is probably not a short list for the Religious Studies Dept as a whole.

7 hours ago, seung said:

Looks like UVA has been sending out rejections over the past few days.  As for the waitlist, I am discouraged, to say the least.  Including myself and @Sloproth, I know of 3 people who are on the waitlist for the TEC program--this indicates that it is probably not a short list for the Religious Studies Dept as a whole.

I got an email today in response to an inquiry saying that UVA has already sent out more offers than they can cover and that it is very unlikely I'll be taken off the waitlist. While I wasn't expressly rejected, I think it pretty well amounts to a rejection. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I imagine the same is probably true for others on the waitlist. Good luck to y'all. 

2 minutes ago, Sloproth said:

I got an email today in response to an inquiry saying that UVA has already sent out more offers than they can cover and that it is very unlikely I'll be taken off the waitlist. While I wasn't expressly rejected, I think it pretty well amounts to a rejection. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I imagine the same is probably true for others on the waitlist. Good luck to y'all. 

Confirms my suspicions,  it's still disappointing to hear. Did you contact the graduate school or your POI? 

16 minutes ago, seung said:

Confirms my suspicions,  it's still disappointing to hear. Did you contact the graduate school or your POI? 

How do you feel about your chances coming off the waitlist at Brown or PTS?

49 minutes ago, turktheman said:

How do you feel about your chances coming off the waitlist at Brown or PTS?

Probably slim. Not giving up hope just yet though

Edited by seung

8 hours ago, seung said:

Probably slim. Not giving up hope just yet though

Although I have accepted an offer from Georgetown more than two weeks ago and  have all the information I am looking for, I am still lurking around in this forum, just because I want to find out if you made it. I just wanna let you know that I feel with you (and anyone else who is in the same position) and am sending all my good wishes your way. :-)

15 hours ago, seung said:

I contacted the graduate coordinator in the department. 

On 3/31/2017 at 11:50 AM, Sloproth said:

I contacted the graduate coordinator in the department. 

Another update concerning UVA. Of the 13 people admitted, only 5 have made decisions. Also, waitlist is unranked.

2 hours ago, seung said:

Another update concerning UVA. Of the 13 people admitted, only 5 have made decisions. Also, waitlist is unranked.

So do you think there's hope?

Edited by Sloproth
awk wording