Choices and Decisions

seung

I haven't heard much discussion about Catholic (CUA) here but I thought I'd report for the lurkers and future applicants. I was accepted on February 9 after attending the interview weekend. The offer didn't including funding information, but the package came in today. I am thrilled as it was my first choice. My wife and I already live in DC and this means we won't have to move and leave her job. Historically funding at Catholic has been spotty, but as some have mentioned the department has decided to move away from unfunded offers by reducing their number of admits. The offer included a tuition waiver and stipend. The stipend is a little less than some programs ($18,000), but this was less of a factor for us given my wife's work. I will be accepting in the religion and culture subfield. I hope this information helps someone! Best of luck to all. Also happy to help if anyone has any DC questions. 

Finally broke down and made an account to follow up on this. How did you hear from CUA—via email? Or by logging into the Cardinal Station? I was accepted around the same time—but to a master's program—and have been waiting to hear. Do you have any idea if they tend to fund master's programs at all?

Thanks for keeping us lurkers in mind and sharing. :) 

No problem! I received an email from the Associate Director for Graduate Programs  (i can PM you her email, if needed). She has been very, very helpful through the whole process. There was an administrative mixup with my application and she was so on top of things. I am sure she would be responsive to a quick email. I'm not sure about funding at the master's level, but I think I remember seeing something about half-awards during my frantic search for information. Let me see if I can find it again. 

Anyone know if UVA or Brown have officially ranked waitlists? UVA stated in an email that I am "a top candidate," but it sounds like that's just their generic letter that they send to everyone on the waitlist.

11 minutes ago, seung said:

Anyone know if UVA or Brown have officially ranked waitlists? UVA stated in an email that I am "a top candidate," but it sounds like that's just their generic letter that they send to everyone on the waitlist.

Even if its generic, I don't think UVA send out a massive bunch of waitlists, so you may have a real shot. Hopefully as people start accepting offers we'll see some waitlist movement as well — at least I hope so for you and others in that position! As of last week UVA had indicated that 3 of their 13 offers had been accepted. 

17 minutes ago, menge said:

Even if its generic, I don't think UVA send out a massive bunch of waitlists, so you may have a real shot. Hopefully as people start accepting offers we'll see some waitlist movement as well — at least I hope so for you and others in that position! As of last week UVA had indicated that 3 of their 13 offers had been accepted. 

Thanks menge! Where did you catch wind of that information, if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to msg me if you're not comfortable sharing publicly.

4 minutes ago, seung said:

Thanks menge! Where did you catch wind of that information, if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to msg me if you're not comfortable sharing publicly.

PM'd.

OK friends, I need a little advice in decision making. I'm pretty sure I have a decision made, but a little confirmation from others would help me feel more comfortable.  

Presuming rejections from UVA, and UPenn (I didn't receive admit/waitlist at UVA, and no interview at UPenn), I will have struck out on Religious Studies programs. I do have admits to two programs in another discipline, both of which I would be happy with. One program is ranked T3 in the discipline and the other is T25 (both are flagship State U's). The catch is, the offer from T25 is solid and includes a nomination for a university fellowship. The department has also gone way above and beyond to get me to accept their offer. The funding at T3 is in limbo due to a state budget crises, and won't be made available probably until May. Despite the difference in ranking, this seems like a no-brainer, and I'm thinking I should accept T25. 

Two additional notes: the fellowship comes with publication requirements. In the first year, it would require 1 sole authored paper and 1 co-authored paper. In subsequent years that bumps up to 1 sole author paper and 2 co-author papers. Are these kind of parameters normal for fellowship awards? The prospect seems to both exciting and daunting at the same time. 

Last, the program would be in more of a social science discipline, though most of my theory & methods training could be completed in Religious Studies/Hist./Anthro. etc. and I would have an RS faculty member serve on my dissertation committee (this has already been pitched to her). I would also have summer teaching opportunities in the RS dept. With some cognate coursework in RS, an MA in RS, RS teaching experience as both an MA and PhD student, and a dissertation which is focused on RS what is the likelihood I'd be able to cross over and teach in RS? 

To the publication question, I have never, ever heard of that, especially not in the humanities, but perhaps it's more common in the social sciences.

To the question about RS, the short answer is yes. RS departments are often composed of people who have PhDs in disciplines that aren't RS, e.g. history, anthro, sociology, etc. If you do an exam in theory and method in RS, or use RS theories and methods in your diss, and/or have an RS person on your diss committee you should be fine. Stay connected to AAR, present papers, try to publish in RS journals, etc.

5 hours ago, axiomness said:

Just got a call from Baylor. He stated that out of the two Theology spots they have offered, one has been accepted (for those waitlisted in Theology at Baylor...)

Did your POI contact you or was it the Grad. Director? 

Seeing as Brown only accepts around 4-6 students to their religious studies program every year, it seems that I don't have much of a chance on the waitlist. Anyone have any info on Brown or any updates on UVA?

Edited by seung

16 hours ago, seung said:

Seeing as Brown only accepts around 4-6 students to their religious studies program every year, it seems that I don't have much of a chance on the waitlist. Anyone have any info on Brown or any updates on UVA?

I contacted the graduate school admissions at UVA, and was told all of their notices will be out by April 1st. That doesn't help much, but is something!

10 hours ago, bijou2017 said:

I contacted the graduate school admissions at UVA, and was told all of their notices will be out by April 1st. That doesn't help much, but is something!

Are you sure this isn't just for rejections? It's strange for a school to decide to send out all decisions of the waitlist before the April 15 deadline

7 hours ago, seung said:

Are you sure this isn't just for rejections? It's strange for a school to decide to send out all decisions of the waitlist before the April 15 deadline

" All applicants will receive an admissions decision notification via email by April 1."

Straight from the email, although it does seem a bit strange 

11 hours ago, seung said:

I called and left a message at the admissions office and this is an excerpt of what they said in an email reply: 

We have sent out our initial offer letters but, we’ve only heard back from four of these applicants.  We have to wait until we hear from three more before we extend any other offers.  Our waitlist letters also went out and it is a pretty long list.

I won’t be sending out any rejection letters until the end of March however, if you’ve not heard from us yet, you probably won’t make it this year.  We still have 77 applications without decisions, just for the Ph.D. spots.

I am sorry that I don’t have more encouraging words to offer.

Thanks Anxious Annex. "A pretty long list..." That is def not encouraging. I was told by a faculty that the list "is not very long," but I think I should go with the admission's office. They admitted 13 applicants. Last time I heard, 3 people had accepted the offers. Wonder if the 4th accepted or not. The waiting continues...

Edited by seung

9 hours ago, xypathos said:

How'd that happen?

Not surprised, had a friend years ago who was provisionally accepted and then rejected (maybe waitlisted) from Union in a weird confusion/turn of events

Edited by Rabbit Run

15 hours ago, the.waiting.game said:

Anyone waitlisted at Emory? Anyone accepted to Emory that has also been accepted elsewhere and wants to attend another program? 

Waitlisted for Hebrew Bible. I emailed the dept. to ask my current app status this morning.

2 hours ago, Rabbit Run said:

Not surprised, had a friend years ago who was provisionally accepted and then rejected (maybe waitlisted) from Union in a weird confusion/turn of events

What does it mean to be provisionally accepted