2018 Applicants

So, the NYU deadline will pass in 2 minutes. I have been in talks with my letter writers since last year, I started reminding them in October, they received the official link to send submissions two weeks ago, I reminded them of the deadlines on Sunday. I reminded them again yesterday. One of them has not sent hers in yet. I'm very stressed at this point because I don't understand why this happens. She is a very good professor and has been very, very helpful throughout the whole process. Last year I requested a letter and had no problems. I reminded her again an hour ago and the deadline, as I write this, has already passed. So, I just hope NYU keep the portal open long enough for her to submit it.

1 hour ago, WildeThing said:

So, the NYU deadline will pass in 2 minutes. I have been in talks with my letter writers since last year, I started reminding them in October, they received the official link to send submissions two weeks ago, I reminded them of the deadlines on Sunday. I reminded them again yesterday. One of them has not sent hers in yet. I'm very stressed at this point because I don't understand why this happens. She is a very good professor and has been very, very helpful throughout the whole process. Last year I requested a letter and had no problems. I reminded her again an hour ago and the deadline, as I write this, has already passed. So, I just hope NYU keep the portal open long enough for her to submit it.

I know this feels disastrous, but please don't be too stressed out!  One of my recommendations was late to all of my schools (including some on your list) and my application was still considered.  They understand that this part of your application is not entirely in your control; I'm sure it will work out as long as the letter is submitted before the committee meets.  I hope that you hear back from your professor soon.

@WildeThing  I know how you feel. I'm applying to MSU (rhet/comp) and their deadline is tonight at midnight. The last I checked only one of my three professors had uploaded a letter. :blink: I spoke with one of the other two on the phone today, so I know he'll get it in soon, if not tonight. However, I haven't heard a peep from the third guy in weeks! I hope he didn't forget about me. I sent him a reminder email on Wed. It's difficult not knowing what's going on with him... :(

Edited by snickus

2 hours ago, WildeThing said:

40 minutes ago, snickus said:

@WildeThing  I know how you feel. I'm applying to MSU (rhet/comp) and their deadline is tonight at midnight. The last I checked only one of my three professors had uploaded a letter. :blink: I spoke with one of the other two on the phone today, so I know he'll get it in soon, if not tonight. However, I haven't heard a peep from the third guy in weeks! I hope he didn't forget about me. I sent him a reminder email on Wed. It's difficult not knowing what's going on with him... :(

If it makes you both feel any better, I emailed a department today and asked if they'd received a letter  - I was told that I would be notified after Jan 1 if anything was missing in my application, including letters. Moreover, one of my other departments will only allow letter writers to submit AFTER I've submitted and they give the letter writers a full week to get their stuff in to the dept.

All to say, I don't think the portal will close for them in the way it does for us and I'd guess that MSU & NYU have likely seen a lot of letters come in technically (but soon) within the deadline. 

15 hours ago, snickus said:

@snickus@WildeThing  I would not stress about the LOR being late. When I applied for my MA, I had a few schools with late LOR submissions, and I was still accepted. Many schools (not speaking on behalf of all, just my experience) still consider applications so long as all the materials you submit are on time. If it's any consolation,  I'm at WRAC currently and have been told that they do not count late letters against applicants, they just start reviewing everything else first (how late, I don't know, but surely this weekend at minimum). I too had a prof miss the MSU deadline after ghosting on me for about a week. (Thanksgiving break I know can make the December 1 deadline a nightmare- fingers crossed that the emails are just buried and not that the professor is ignoring you).

THanks everyone, she wound up sending both letters that were due yeaterday and they were both received. Still missing the rest of her letters but there’s time left yet. My 3rd letter writer is also missing some of hers yet but I think it will be fine.

I actually called both Berkeley and NYu and they said it would be fine but it’s still hard not to stress and imagine it all going to shit over stupid details.

On that note, officially submitted 3 apps, need to add my materials to Rutgers which for some reason wanta you to do that AFTER submission, just everything else to go! Way to go whoever decided that December was a good time to have application deadlines.

Hi all, I've been lurking on this page for a longtime and thought I might as well join in.

I'm finding this whole process incredibly stressful, not to mention expensive, but hopefully it will all be over soon. It's nice to see other people also going through it.

I'm a British applicant applying to schools in New York in the area of modernism and technology

1 minute ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Welcome, @hibiscus! It's definitely a stressful process - I'm farther behind than I would like to be, but that's the way it goes, I guess. If I may ask, what authors/areas of modernism are you especially interested in?

Hey! You'll get there. I'm looking at Samuel Beckett predominantly, also Pynchon and post-feminist authors.

how about you?

Is anyone using more than one writing sample? 

I'm applying to MA programs and submitting both a literary analysis and a rhetorical analysis, as per the advice of one of my profs. I see the point of it, but I'm kind of feeling it's double the stress right now. Agh.

On 12/2/2017 at 1:21 PM, hibiscus said:

Hey! You'll get there. I'm looking at Samuel Beckett predominantly, also Pynchon and post-feminist authors.

how about you?

That's awesome! I do contemporary Caribbean in relation to 20th & 21st century American. As an undergrad, I worked (as much as a BA can, haha) with the modernists. Awesome area and NY has a ton of great programs for that area. 

And thank you! It's not as bad as it feels and, better, will be over soon, haha. 

On 12/2/2017 at 2:33 PM, katie64 said:

Is anyone using more than one writing sample? 

I'm applying to MA programs and submitting both a literary analysis and a rhetorical analysis, as per the advice of one of my profs. I see the point of it, but I'm kind of feeling it's double the stress right now. Agh.

Are you applying to both literature and rhet/comp MA programs? When I applied to literature MA programs, I used one sample of literary analysis in my proposed field. I'm doing the same this year, although it is now in my sub-field. 

Or, alternatively, are you submitting two shorter papers instead of one longer one?

@a_sort_of_fractious_angel Both. The literary analysis is the one I showed you, about ten pages, and the rhetorical analysis is only about seven places. Every single MA program I'm applying to is either specifically rhet/comp OR has the option to take classes/do a concentration in rhet/comp. Since I don't have a longer paper specifically in the field of rhet/comp, my prof advised submitting shorter papers of each. Just stressful. Gah.

Actually, after presenting my (undergrad) senior thesis in front of all of the English faculty the day before yesterday, my professors believed that the section of visual rhetoric in my thesis was interesting and my advising professor even suggested that I expand/morph my thesis a little bit to focus more on visual rhetoric (the entirety of the thesis is about young marriage). So, I'm doing that, and I think I could perhaps get away with only using this longer (20 pg) thesis as my only writing sample, but it just worries me a little bit to not have a literary analysis at all when applying to MA English programs in which I will be taking lit classes. Thoughts? I'm meeting with one of my letter writers next week to get her opinion (the one who originally suggested two samples).

1 hour ago, katie64 said:

Actually, after presenting my (undergrad) senior thesis in front of all of the English faculty the day before yesterday, my professors believed that the section of visual rhetoric in my thesis was interesting and my advising professor even suggested that I expand/morph my thesis a little bit to focus more on visual rhetoric (the entirety of the thesis is about young marriage). So, I'm doing that, and I think I could perhaps get away with only using this longer (20 pg) thesis as my only writing sample, but it just worries me a little bit to not have a literary analysis at all when applying to MA English programs in which I will be taking lit classes. Thoughts? I'm meeting with one of my letter writers next week to get her opinion (the one who originally suggested two samples).

Omg I didn't recognize your username - my bad. I would say 3 things should guide you: (1) your gut, (2) the website and what they do/don't indicate and (3) your profs. 

That being said, I think it's OK to submit the longer paper to rhet/comp MAs because that is your concentration (provided it is on the level of the two papers you're submitting). 

However, so far as MAs in which you will do literary analysis - it may be better to do both. Even if you end up going rhet/comp, those programs - I would guess - expect you to do some literary analysis, so showing them that now may help you in terms of admissions. 

6 minutes ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Omg I didn't recognize your username - my bad. I would say 3 things should guide you: (1) your gut, (2) the website and what they do/don't indicate and (3) your profs. 

That being said, I think it's OK to submit the longer paper to rhet/comp MAs because that is your concentration (provided it is on the level of the two papers you're submitting). 

However, so far as MAs in which you will do literary analysis - it may be better to do both. Even if you end up going rhet/comp, those programs - I would guess - expect you to do some literary analysis, so showing them that now may help you in terms of admissions. 

That's exactly what I was thinking. Like we talked about, even the MA programs that advertise themselves as just rhet/comp actually have you talk an equal (or almost equal) amount of literature classes, haha. 

Guess it'll be the two shorter papers! 

56 minutes ago, katie64 said:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Like we talked about, even the MA programs that advertise themselves as just rhet/comp actually have you talk an equal (or almost equal) amount of literature classes, haha. 

Guess it'll be the two shorter papers! 

I think that is a wise choice and the paper you sent me was fine in terms of literary analysis. 

I can only imagine how stressful that is, but I am pulling for you and am happy to look at either paper if that would help you. 

YOU GOT THIS!

1 hour ago, katie64 said:

Just submitted my first application. I've been feeling that I'm not ready because of the constant need to revise my writing samples, but I knew I needed to just get this first one in. :o

I need to channel your energy and just get the first one in, too. Ugrhg.

1 hour ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

I didn't want to because my official transcript won't be ready until the 13th and it will raise my GPA, but the app is due the 15th and that was just too close for comfort. I went ahead and indicated my GPA will rise in the app itself, but this school is on the bottom half of my order of preference, so I guess it's not a hugeee deal. 

1 hour ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

I thought it would get better after submitting my first app, but now I'm like "Now I can make the second app perfect!" which I also need to let go of.

Currently kicking myself after realizing that I wrote down the writing sample length for one of the MA programs. All the others are 10-20, my sample is 20, and this school says 15 MAX. Not sure how I'm going to reduce the length in only a few days! Ugh

2 hours ago, katie64 said:

I didn't want to because my official transcript won't be ready until the 13th and it will raise my GPA, but the app is due the 15th and that was just too close for comfort. I went ahead and indicated my GPA will rise in the app itself, but this school is on the bottom half of my order of preference, so I guess it's not a hugeee deal. 

I'm sure it'll be fine - could you send the "new" transcript as soon as it comes out? I know the admin can upload things post-deadline - they've also probably seen this before, so maybe you could send it to them later? 

2 hours ago, hibiscus said:

can so relate to this feeling of wanting to revise everything to a point of perfection! but ultimately I think we have to accept changing the odd word here and there is not going to change anything. It's the idea that counts. 

Yes, I feel this - I've had to become very careful about the fine line between "I'm editing this section" and "HECK I'LL JUST REWRITE IT"

At least we're trying, lol

On 12/2/2017 at 10:41 AM, renea said:

@snickus@WildeThing  I would not stress about the LOR being late. When I applied for my MA, I had a few schools with late LOR submissions, and I was still accepted. Many schools (not speaking on behalf of all, just my experience) still consider applications so long as all the materials you submit are on time. If it's any consolation,  I'm at WRAC currently and have been told that they do not count late letters against applicants, they just start reviewing everything else first (how late, I don't know, but surely this weekend at minimum). I too had a prof miss the MSU deadline after ghosting on me for about a week. (Thanksgiving break I know can make the December 1 deadline a nightmare- fingers crossed that the emails are just buried and not that the professor is ignoring you).

Thank you so much, @renea! Now if only those two slackers would get on it. I think I better call the third guy. No word from him in about a month now. 

Is anyone else still settling on where to apply? :lol:

I had a larger group, but I've cut it down to 5 schools. Is that crazy? I'm really happy with all of these and would be thrilled to attend any one of them. But with odds being as slim as they are in grad school admissions, I'm not sure how wise it is only applying to 5. :unsure:

I'm going for rhet/comp, and I narrowed my schools to: MSU, UW-Madison, CMU, UMich (joint program in English and Education), and Penn State.

What makes my selection especially risky is:

(1) UMich is probably a major reach since it's ranked so highly, and I have little teaching experience.

(2) I've heard Penn State admits only a couple of students with a master's directly into the PhD program.  

(3) I've also heard UW-Madison doesn't admit many students with a master's, but I'm confused about that bc the Comp & Rhet program requires a master's to be considered. So does that just mean they admit very few students into that program at all?

(4) CMU admits only 2-3 students a year into the program I'm applying (PhD in Rhetoric).

(5) Two of my letter writers still haven't submitted to MSU; the deadline was 12/1.

Hmm...Probably would be safer to add 1 or 2 more...

Edited by snickus