SLP MA Program that accepts Lower GPA?

Hi,

I was wondering if there any schools that anyone has gotten into that accepted a GPA between a 3.3-3.4? Was your GRE high? Any suggestions for me? I'll be applying next school year, but my advisor doesn't think I can retake anything to help my GPA (even though it have one C+ and one D). If not do you have suggestions on what I could do with my undergrad in SLPA?

Thanks for your help!

My cumulative GPA is a 3.3, and you can see where I was accepted in my signature. My quant GRE score was terrible, and my verbal was pretty good. It's hard to compare applicants though because each applicant is so different and GPA is not the only thing that counts! I would search EdFind for % admission rates and GPA ranges for schools. I also used signatures on this forum to help me find where people with my stats got in. Most importantly, since it is hard to know where you could get in, is to apply to a wide range of schools.

3 hours ago, SLPtalk said:

Hi,

I was wondering if there any schools that anyone has gotten into that accepted a GPA between a 3.3-3.4? Was your GRE high? Any suggestions for me? I'll be applying next school year, but my advisor doesn't think I can retake anything to help my GPA (even though it have one C+ and one D). If not do you have suggestions on what I could do with my undergrad in SLPA?

Thanks for your help!

What's your C+ and D in?

@SLPtalk I'm a career changer so I know this puts me in a different category, so to speak, but my undergrad GPA was 3.38 and I have been accepted to NYMC and NYU so far. My post-bacc was a 4.0 though and both of those schools use CSDCAS which put my cumulative GPA (after the post-bacc) at a 3.5 so that's another factor to consider. My verbal and writing GRE scores were pretty good (161 and 5.0) but my quant was nothing special (151).

What year did you receive your C+ and D? Many schools I visited said that they will overlook lower grades early on in your college career if you show that you improved. So if your junior and senior year grades are A's and some B/B+ and you score high on your GREs you may be okay.

I second what @plume said above. Do your research and talk to schools to see what ranges they accept. Apply in less competitive areas if you can.

On 3/9/2017 at 4:31 PM, SLPtalk said:

Hi,

Thanks for your help!

Um hello!

My GPA is even lower lol (check my signature)

I was accepted at one school (so grateful) and waitlisted in the highest tier at another!

My Advice:

Go for schools that look at the entire picture (do interviews/have personal statements).

Be realistic.

Think about who you are past your GPA and what makes you stand out from everyone else! 

And let your heart bleed when you write your personal statement (write with some feeling/passion not just generically) :) 

cheers!

@Akon  I second everything you suggested!  Congrats by the way!

@SLPtalk  If you look at my signature you will see my GPA overall was 2.77.  My last 60 was something like 3.35.  I took a year after my undergrad to work as an SLP with a credential waiver in CA and also worked with kids and adults on the spectrum as well as shadow at a SNF for the summer to get well rounded experiences in all settings an SLP works.  I think the best shot is applying to brand new programs.  They will take a look at you because other applicants may be scared off because of the candidacy for accreditation.  ASHA has programs listed that are newer but the newest one I know of personally is Cal Baptist University in Riverside, CA.  Also, helps to email the program directors and be up front and honest with them and thy will get to see your name a few times through email correspondence.  GOOD LUCK! :)