Jump to content

Reapply or Plan B?


Recommended Posts

Here it goes...I am a special ed teacher. I took a lot of prerequisite classes. I took the GRE 2 times Verbal: 140  Quantitative: 136  Writing: 4. Unfortunately my scores only increased slightly. I also applied for the SLP Masters program at NYU, FSU and JMU and was rejected. My GPA for my bachelors is a 3.60 and the overall SLP prerequisite GPA is a 3.48. I’m kind of feeling like it’s time for me to rethink pursuing a Masters now. I’m interested in online or distance programs but I know that the list is very short and probably too competitive for my scores; however, I will try out of state at this point.  While applying, I realize that many universities wants different prerequisite courses. I am now thinking of getting a 2nd bachelors in Speech Communication Disorders through ENMU.  Has anyone attended ENMU online? Does anyone have any suggestions or been in the same dilemma as me?

Edited by Starz413
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can totally understand your dilemma...do you want to spend more money on getting a 2nd bachelors in this field if you are not going to be able to use it to get into grad school? It's a gamble because getting into grad school for SLP is really difficult.

Although grad schools want different types of prerequisite courses, ENMU probably offers the same general prerequisites that you have already taken for their program...getting a 2nd bachelors will not absolve you from these other prerequisites unless those courses are actually a part of the 2nd bachelors program. If I were you, I would try to get my GREs scores to at least a combined score of 300. From what I've seen on grad cafe, most people are rejected with scores below that number. I've heard good things about Magoosh from several people. In my opinion, if you can't get those scores up then getting a 2nd bachelors will definitely be a waste of money. 

How many SLP prerequisites have you taken so far? Have you applied to NOVA? They accept people with lower GPAs but they have rolling admissions so your start date might be a couple years from now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that you should pursue your masters. Your GPA is not the problem. A 3.6 GPA is quite respectable and a 3.45 GPA for SLP is not terrible either. What you need to boost are your GRE scores. Most schools have a cut off. If you don't make the cut off then most schools won't even look at your application. Most SLP programs will accept students from all different backgrounds. If you go to ASHA's edfind page (http://www.asha.org/edfind/), you can search schools and the website provides average GPA's they accept and their cutoff scores for the GRE. You should usually aim to get a score as close as possible to what you see there (usually 150 each for both quantitive and verbal). Many SLP program websites also offer this information. A background in special ed is amazing and your experiences with children with special needs must be many. However, if you don't make that cut off, most schools don't get to see any of the amazing work and experience you have that would make you a good candidate. My recommendation is to buy the GRE books and vocab cards and study like theres no tomorrow for no more than 12 weeks but no less than 4. You can buy a whole GRE Practice set on Amazon or Barnes and Nobles for $60. If you can afford classes, that might be a better option for you depending on what you feel will be most helpful. Don't give up! :) 

Edited by languagegirl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with other posters -I think you need to raise your GRE score.  What have you done in the past to study?  I found Magoosh very helpful.  Another idea is to hire a private tutor.  As a teacher -you might be able to tutor kids yourself than use that money to pay for your own tutor.  Also, if you have test anxiety -it might help to see a counselor that could help with strategies while test taking.  I know for me once the writing portion went well -I felt so much more relaxed about the other parts.  Good Luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just gonna tack on another recommendation for Magoosh. It was all I used, and it was so helpful to me. It helped me pinpoint which questions were more difficult for me so I could focus on those questions. It also had helpful videos. What do you find most difficult about the GRE? Are there certain types of questions that you find trickier? Are you having difficulty with pacing? I would try to see if there are any specific things about the GRE that are preventing those additional ~10 points and focus on those. You can also try looking into attending some classes, if you haven't already.

Other than that, I don't think a 2nd bachelors is necessary. I think your prereqs are enough, and like someone said, doing another bachelors may just mean you "double-take" the same prereqs while not adding on any additional prereq courses. You have fantastic experiences as a special ed teacher that make you a great candidate! If you are interested in finding out more about out-of-state programs that may fit your needs, there are many threads on this forum with discussions about programs that accept "lower" scores, as well as cost-friendlier programs than those typically found along the coast. Good luck! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll echo what everyone else said. I know people who have gotten into programs with your GPA and without your awesome experience- the only difference was the GRE scores. Magoosh was the best $90 investment I made. Make yourself a schedule and follow it religiously, taking many, many practice tests from GRE ETS's Powerprep, Manhattan, Kaplan, etc. My friend had the same verbal score as you and improved it with a combination of using Magoosh for honing her reading comprehension skills/time management, and doing Memrise Barron's 333 High frequency word list activities. As for math, I would say you need to invest in some sort of baseline education to ensure you have the foundations necessary to understand the questions. Magoosh did this for me and raised my score from a 144 (March, no studying) to a 154 (August, studying all summer.) Also, you may be experiencing test anxiety like a lot of people have mentioned. I would suggest doing practice tests in public/pretend proctored environment until you feel more comfortable with the GRE overall and more familiar with the whole system. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since your verbal is stronger than your quant, you might want to consider prepping for and taking the Miller Analogies Test. No math on that! I have heard of people doing MUCH better on the MAT than the GRE.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The video makers of Magoosh have a FREE WEBSITE with ALL THE SAME VIDEOS that for Magoosh are only available if you pay for it!! The site is GreenLightTestPrep.com. They also have the same videos on YouTube but I find that the website organizes them nicely and keeps track of which videos you've already watched, plus has added content/supplemental materials worth checking out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't give up, your stats aren't bad and you can still get into schools. If you want to avoid using an online source, although I was happy with Magoosh as well, I was very happy with Manhattan 5lb GRE book. You can look it up on Amazon. That thing is awesome. 

Edited by eseteacher
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Starz413 said:

Here it goes...I am a special ed teacher. I took a lot of prerequisite classes. I took the GRE 2 times Verbal: 140  Quantitative: 136  Writing: 4. Unfortunately my scores only increased slightly. I also applied for the SLP Masters program at NYU, FSU and JMU and was rejected. My GPA for my bachelors is a 3.60 and the overall SLP prerequisite GPA is a 3.48. I’m kind of feeling like it’s time for me to rethink pursuing a Masters now. I’m interested in online or distance programs but I know that the list is very short and probably too competitive for my scores; however, I will try out of state at this point.  While applying, I realize that many universities wants different prerequisite courses. I am now thinking of getting a 2nd bachelors in Speech Communication Disorders through ENMU.  Has anyone attended ENMU online? Does anyone have any suggestions or been in the same dilemma as me?

I'm in ENMU's 2nd Bachelor program now and it's great.  

If you really want to pursue this career, then definitely apply again.  I think you should definitely retake the GRE, however.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got accepted into FSU with around your same GRE scores. I had very strong LORs, 3 years of research, and an excellent personal statement (stated by an admissions committee member). If you can't raise the GRE scores---which, I don't recommend retaking it over and over again UNLESS you are absolutely sure you'll do better the next time around because if you keep getting the same scores, you're only proving to the admissions committee that that's as good as you get--- maybe offset it with research or some volunteering. Your experience in special education could be a strength if you know how to get creative with it. Find an SLP in your school system and shadow/volunteer with them...or get to know them well enough to have them write a strong LOR for you and talk about your hands on experience as a sped teacher and how great you'll be as an SLP. 

I see a lot of potential in you so I hope you don't give up. Good luck! 

Edited by Louly
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, eseteacher said:

Don't give up, your stats aren't bad and you can still get into schools. If you want to avoid using an online source, although I was happy with Magoosh as well, I was very happy with Manhattan 5lb GRE book. You can look it up on Amazon. That thing is awesome. 

I used the Manhattan 5 lb book plus the Magoosh free vocab app.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think an interesting thing to add to your application would be volunteering in a unique environment. My stats were pretty good, but I really emphasized in my essays and interviews that i am not just someone that has technical knowledge. i spent a gap year volunteering with a SLP in Hebrew speaking school and studying in a fellowship of Judaic studies/ethics. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with what everyone is saying. Also, look into schools that don't require GREs. Some are still just as competitive but its worth a shot if you're re-applying. 

Edited by tvl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2017 at 7:32 PM, BeachySpeechy said:

I can totally understand your dilemma...do you want to spend more money on getting a 2nd bachelors in this field if you are not going to be able to use it to get into grad school? It's a gamble because getting into grad school for SLP is really difficult.

Although grad schools want different types of prerequisite courses, ENMU probably offers the same general prerequisites that you have already taken for their program...getting a 2nd bachelors will not absolve you from these other prerequisites unless those courses are actually a part of the 2nd bachelors program. If I were you, I would try to get my GREs scores to at least a combined score of 300. From what I've seen on grad cafe, most people are rejected with scores below that number. I've heard good things about Magoosh from several people. In my opinion, if you can't get those scores up then getting a 2nd bachelors will definitely be a waste of money. 

How many SLP prerequisites have you taken so far? Have you applied to NOVA? They accept people with lower GPAs but they have rolling admissions so your start date might be a couple years from now. 

I have taken 7 courses already. I did apply to NOVA because I was told that I can before taking the prerequisite courses while off-setting my start date. Yet I was rejected too! It is about 4-5 more courses that I will need for NOVA. I have been looking at other universities and realize that the prerequisite course requirements are different. That is one reason why I am thinking about pursuing my 2nd Bachelors and plus I really want to get into the field.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Starz413 said:

I have taken 7 courses already. I did apply to NOVA because I was told that I can before taking the prerequisite courses while off-setting my start date. Yet I was rejected too! It is about 4-5 more courses that I will need for NOVA. I have been looking at other universities and realize that the prerequisite course requirements are different. That is one reason why I am thinking about pursuing my 2nd Bachelors and plus I really want to get into the field.

 

Did you apply to their online program? That's the one that takes lower GPAs (and I believe they don't require GREs). 

 

I honestly think that it's your GREs and not your GPA that's affecting your chances so getting your 2nd bachelors should be a secondary focus.  Your primary focus should be on getting your GRE scores up. That seems like your best bet. Good luck!!! 

Edited by BeachySpeechy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2017 at 8:11 PM, Afternoonprogram said:

I agree with other posters -I think you need to raise your GRE score.  What have you done in the past to study?  I found Magoosh very helpful.  Another idea is to hire a private tutor.  As a teacher -you might be able to tutor kids yourself than use that money to pay for your own tutor.  Also, if you have test anxiety -it might help to see a counselor that could help with strategies while test taking.  I know for me once the writing portion went well -I felt so much more relaxed about the other parts.  Good Luck.

The first time around I studied using a GRE study book. I am not sure what the name of it was. I also watched Khan academy videos. The second time around I did the same along with working with a tutor in math.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I'm currently in the ENMU distance program for my master's, and overall it's been a great experience!

I have to caution you that it's not entirely online - you have to spend the first semester on campus. If you get Bs or better in your classes, meet the "academic outcomes" for each course, and get a passing review from your clinical supervisor, you're given the green light to return home and take classes online. Also bear in mind, you're finding all your own clinical placements as well, and the program is highly competitive; I had a 4.0 and good GRE scores, and still was placed on the alternate list before being accepted into the program.

Like other posters have suggested, retake your GRE and see if you can't boost the scores a bit. It's never a bad thing to do!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have very similar schools to yours. I took the gre three different times and only raised my scores slightly each time. I decided after three times that was going to be it for taking the gre as I couldn't afford to keep paying the $200. I was happy raising my writing from a 3.5 to a 4. Instead I applied to a wide variety of schools in multiple states with lower ranges of gre scores. I also saw advice on posting more than the bare minimum of letters of recommendation and used this advice, asking for four letters of recommendation instead of three or two. Considering you have an awesome GPA I think you should keep trying! Don't give up! :) Took three rounds for me for an acceptance and ended up with two choices for acceptances!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know multiple people who got in with similar GPA as you and GRE in the 280s and they were accepted to very competitive schools. When I first took the GRE I got a 134 on Verbal. I was told by a professor of mine to raise it. I ended up raising it 15 points by studying through Magoosh. The same professor also told me not to take the GRE too many times..so I mean it wouldn't hurt if you studied and tried one more time. 

Dont be discouraged if you didn't get in this round. I'm about to start round 3 of applications. My problem is mt Bachelors GPA. Most of these schools I applied to told me after I was rejected that they don't look at anything but Bachelors GPA...whit screwed me over. I'm really going to work hard this time at researching schools all over the country and finding out which ones will look at my Post-bacc and see the changes I have made over the years. 

Keep trying and look all over!  And the last semester of grad school is your externship which can be done anywhere in the country. So really, you would be out of state/away from home (if necessary) for a year and a half. That's at least how I'm looking at it. Good luck!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use