PhD Fall 2018 Applicants

vallaboop

Ugh... I have seen that 5 out of the 11 schools That I applied to have sent out interview invites! Ugh!!!! They aren’t all in the same program that I applied to, but it makes me so nervous that I’ve Not heard from those schools. 

I’ve heard that experimental/ non-clinical interviews are often done a little later, but I’m seeing some interview invitations for those programs. ? I’m going to go insane waiting... 

Has anyone heard from experimental (developmental concentration) at Kentucky, Kent, FSU, or Rochester?

1 hour ago, Psychapplica said:

They aren’t all in the same program that I applied to, but it makes me so nervous that I’ve Not heard from those schools.

If they aren't for the program you applied to, I wouldn't worry. Schools often don't have just one timeline for all of their programs, so different programs at the same school may have drastically different timepoints when they send out interview invites.

4 hours ago, psychonerd said:

That is actually shocking to me but don't worry yet you have plenty of other schools and I seriously still think you have nothing to worry about. If you are applying to UC Davis my POI just told me they will be sending their invites in the next few week so its still to early to doubt yourself!!

I didn’t apply to UC. Davis. I applied to USC. 

18 hours ago, umlemaillist said:

I didn’t apply to UC. Davis. I applied to USC. 

Maybe I shouldn't generalize but I do believe most schools around here (CA) take a few weeks after submission? I would still be hopeful. Your Masters experience is impressive..

Fall semester ended Saturday, just got my last final exam grade. Now I have nothing to distract myself with to stop wanting to recheck application statuses :huh:

I think I'm going to Pinterest some Elf on the Shelf activities, or something, to keep me busy :D

On December 12, 2017 at 8:52 PM, Psychologyandpizza said:

Looking for the people who got phone interviews for UW Madison’s counseling psychology program? Would you mind emailing me who you’re POI is and if you know if it is typical that everyone who gets in person interviews always gets phone interviews first? Thanks!!

I got a phone interview with my POI (Budge) in early November (although this was obviously an unofficial convo). I've seen a few people that applied for counseling at UW Madison have gotten phone interviews, but not invites for the actual on-campus interviews. My hope is that they are contacting applicants who have not had much contact with their chosen POI before they make on-campus interview invitations. The website says that invites should be sent out on the 21st, hopefully that is true!

1 hour ago, pataka said:

Welp, just got my first (very generic) rejection email. 5/6 to go. Any tips on how to keep my head up?

Just know that you still have 5 more schools to hear from and it only takes 1 so you never know what will happen!

2 hours ago, pataka said:

Welp, just got my first (very generic) rejection email. 5/6 to go. Any tips on how to keep my head up?

We are all going to get rejections, it's just part of the process. You still have 5 more schools, I wouldn't let one rejection bum you out. Do you have a plan B for what you are going to do if you don't get in anywhere? I know that having a plan B, of what I'm going to do if I don't get accepted, and knowing there's always next year, the year after, and so forth takes a ton of the pressure off. 

54 minutes ago, PsyZei said:

We are all going to get rejections, it's just part of the process. You still have 5 more schools, I wouldn't let one rejection bum you out. Do you have a plan B for what you are going to do if you don't get in anywhere? I know that having a plan B, of what I'm going to do if I don't get accepted, and knowing there's always next year, the year after, and so forth takes a ton of the pressure off. 

Hey, thanks. My plan b is to remain at my current job as a research coordinator in an R1 Dept of Psychiatry. My problem though is that this job isn't related to my topic of interest and I've been a research coordinator for 2.5 years; I feel like I spent enough time preparing for grad school and waiting until I was ready to apply that it's going to be a huge bummer if I have to keep doing this job for another year, even though it's helping me gain research experience. Going to try to sit tight and wait to hear from the other 5 schools! Hope one of them is a better match for me :)

Hi everybody. My nerves have been crazy since hitting submit, so I'm joining the conversation to try and redirect that energy.

Program of interest: Experimental Psych (depending on the program, folks I want to work with fall under either social or cognitive).

Schools you have looked at: University of Kentucky, Florida State, UC Irvine, and Princeton.

Number one worry about applying: My GPA in undergrad was pretty bad. I've been working as a research assistant for two years to try and balance my credentials, and I've got two publications and a slew of conference presentations to show for it. I also did fairly well on the GRE, but I'm afraid it won't be enough.

Best of luck to everyone going through this process!

2 hours ago, rvavr said:

Hi everybody. My nerves have been crazy since hitting submit, so I'm joining the conversation to try and redirect that energy.

Program of interest: Experimental Psych (depending on the program, folks I want to work with fall under either social or cognitive).

Schools you have looked at: University of Kentucky, Florida State, UC Irvine, and Princeton.

Number one worry about applying: My GPA in undergrad was pretty bad. I've been working as a research assistant for two years to try and balance my credentials, and I've got two publications and a slew of conference presentations to show for it. I also did fairly well on the GRE, but I'm afraid it won't be enough.

Undergrad GPA can totally be overcome. Mine was awful, and I’ve gotten one interview invite (it’s not an acceptance but hey!). Have you heard back from Kentucky or Florida State? 

3 hours ago, rvavr said:

Undergrad GPA doesn't have to be the death of you as an applicant! (I've been trying to remind myself of the same). Having that research experience, publications, and presentations will definitely help! Especially if you have excellent LOR. If for some reason you don't make it through this round you might want to think of a post-bacc or terminal master's. I know that can be expensive but making up for those deficits can definitely help. Especially in a master's program so you can show you can excel in a graduate environment. At least, that's my opinion and we will see if it pays off. Good luck!

2 hours ago, Psychapplica said:

Undergrad GPA can totally be overcome. Mine was awful, and I’ve gotten one interview invite (it’s not an acceptance but hey!). Have you heard back from Kentucky or Florida State? 

Hey, congratulations! Where did you get the interview invite to?
Unfortunately, I haven't heard from anywhere yet.

1 hour ago, cindyboop said:

Undergrad GPA doesn't have to be the death of you as an applicant! (I've been trying to remind myself of the same). Having that research experience, publications, and presentations will definitely help! Especially if you have excellent LOR. If for some reason you don't make it through this round you might want to think of a post-bacc or terminal master's. I know that can be expensive but making up for those deficits can definitely help. Especially in a master's program so you can show you can excel in a graduate environment. At least, that's my opinion and we will see if it pays off. Good luck!

Thank you for your kind words and advice. I'm really hoping I can avoid doing the master's first, for both the reason you said and for the extra time it will take. I'm married, and I already feel like continuing my education is placing a large burden on my spouse in terms of the delay in other life events it will require. I would be very happy not to have to add any more years to the process!

I think I miscommunicated in my original post; I meant to say that I have been working for 2 years as a post-bacc RA. I've enjoyed quite a bit of productivity in part due to the fact that I have 11 bosses! I also have three years of experience from undergrad, but those only yielded good ol' fashioned null results.

Program of interest: Educational Psychology

Schools you have looked at: UNM, U of Minn, OSU , U of Mich, UNC

Number one worry about applying: GRE scores and jumping into grad school directly from undergrad

Question: How do you guys recommend responding to acceptances while waiting for other schools?

5 hours ago, Stanislava said:

Hi everyone!

Program of interest: Physical sciences 

Schools: CSU or LSU, I want to study in one of these universities in the in the USA.

What do I worry about? I afraid that will not pass the language exam on the high mark. 

hey there! given that your program of interest is not in psychology, i would check out the forums in the physical sciences section of grad cafe: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/7-physical-sciences/.

39 minutes ago, rvavr said:

Thank you for your kind words and advice. I'm really hoping I can avoid doing the master's first, for both the reason you said and for the extra time it will take. I'm married, and I already feel like continuing my education is placing a large burden on my spouse in terms of the delay in other life events it will require. I would be very happy not to have to add any more years to the process!

I think I miscommunicated in my original post; I meant to say that I have been working for 2 years as a post-bacc RA. I've enjoyed quite a bit of productivity in part due to the fact that I have 11 bosses! I also have three years of experience from undergrad, but those only yielded good ol' fashioned null results.

You're welcome! I understand where you are coming from. But your experience sounds great! 

4 hours ago, rvavr said:

Hey, congratulations! Where did you get the interview invite to?
Unfortunately, I haven't heard from anywhere yet.

Don’t worry too much, everyone keeps saying it’s pretty early. I’ve heard the non-clinical programs tend to interview a little later, but who knows! I think it’s all pretty ambiguous ? I heard back from VCU-developmental, so our concentrations differ. Most programs I applied to are experimental with dev. Concentration. 

But I am eagerly waiting on Kentucky, U of FA, FSU, as well as a few others lol

Edited by Psychapplica

3 hours ago, cindyboop said:

You're welcome! I understand where you are coming from. But your experience sounds great! 

Thank you very much.

2 minutes ago, Psychapplica said:

Don’t worry too much, everyone keeps saying it’s pretty early. I’ve heard the non-clinical programs tend to interview a little later, but who knows! I think it’s all pretty ambiguous ? I heard back from VCU-developmental, so our concentrations differ. Most programs I applied to are experimental with dev. Concentration. 

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling that the process is pretty opaque to us - at least in part - because there's just a ton of ambiguity and variation in how each institution/department/POI does things.

Congratulations on the VCU invitation, though. Best of luck when the day comes around! I know two recently-graduated PhDs from there who were very happy with the program.

Ugh, I keep telling myself there is no point to checking for status updates and that I'll most likely get an email when anything updates anyways. I am failing at not obsessing about this. It's not like I don't have tons of stuff I need to do instead, either!

1 hour ago, PsyZei said:

Ugh, I keep telling myself there is no point to checking for status updates and that I'll most likely get an email when anything updates anyways. I am failing at not obsessing about this. It's not like I don't have tons of stuff I need to do instead, either!

Preach.

7 hours ago, HopefulAbouttheFuture said:

Program of interest: Educational Psychology

Schools you have looked at: UNM, U of Minn, OSU , U of Mich, UNC

Number one worry about applying: GRE scores and jumping into grad school directly from undergrad

Question: How do you guys recommend responding to acceptances while waiting for other schools?

Are you talking about OSU specifically? I applied to their Ed Psych program last year and if I remember correctly, they sent me the acceptance offer around this time last year also. Next steps would obviously be very graciously thanking the school for the offer, perhaps setting up a phone or Skype interview to talk in more detail with your potential advisor about what your role in their lab might look like if you were to attend -- basically all the questions you would get to ask at an interview weekend, only now you're asking them post- rather than pre-offer. Also, ask if there will be an opportunity to visit/tour the program prior to the decision deadline (if OSU, they do have a recruitment weekend). 

Also, if you've already received an acceptance then congratulations!! Your GRE and being straight from undergrad are obviously not things to worry about :)

Edited by 01sonal