PhD Fall 2018 Applicants

vallaboop

On 12/15/2017 at 9:43 AM, psychlifer said:

Hi all,

Thought I would reach out on here with a question/dilemma. I received interview invites for two of my top school options, and the interviews are happening on the same day. Any advice on how to handle that? I know that if I do a Skype/phone interview, my chances of acceptance are probably lower, but I'm not sure what to do...

Thank you!

Let each school know you have a scheduling conflict but are trying to resolve the issue promptly. Ask each if they happen to have an alternate interview day (many schools do). If neither does then pick whichever one you'd rather go to and ask to do a Skype interview for the other. If only one has an alternate then attend that and go to the originally scheduled interview for the other, and if both have alternate days then again pick whichever original interview day you'd rather go to and email the other school letting them know that you were unfortunately unable to resolve the conflict. If they ask what the conflict is be honest and say you have been invited to two interviews on the same day. 

PS- I was offered acceptance into a program following a Skype interview so don't lose hope! It's not the end of the world. 

I'm curious as to how many others who have applied to PhD program have just not heard anything, yet? Besides a generic email letting you know your application has been submitted or sent to review or whatever. Just not heard nothing- no interview invites, no rejections, nothing?

5 minutes ago, PsyZei said:

I'm curious as to how many others who have applied to PhD program have just not heard anything, yet? Besides a generic email letting you know your application has been submitted or sent to review or whatever. Just not heard nothing- no interview invites, no rejections, nothing?

I haven't heard anything yet. Frustrating but I've only seen one of the programs I've applied to send out interview invites so it might still be early for some programs

1 minute ago, cindyboop said:

I haven't heard anything yet. Frustrating but I've only seen one of the programs I've applied to send out interview invites so it might still be early for some programs

I'm glad it's not just me! This is what I keep thinking, that this is probably the norm. It's hard when people are posting invites ^_^

9 minutes ago, PsyZei said:

I haven’t heard anything yet. I’m starting to feel like I’m on a sinking ship as I see people have been contacted by some of my schools(although not by my POI’s or programs). 

2 minutes ago, umlemaillist said:

I haven’t heard anything yet. I’m starting to feel like I’m on a sinking ship as I see people have been contacted by some of my schools(although not by my POI’s or programs). 

Same here! I haven't seen my POIs or programs, but have seen a couple for my schools. 

11 minutes ago, PsyZei said:

Same here! I haven't seen my POIs or programs, but have seen a couple for my schools. 

I think ever program is different so it's hard to go off of invites from the same school but different programs. I wouldn't worry yet

14 minutes ago, appletoapple said:

has anyone heard from UCLA, Davis, Oregon for their developmental programs? :( 

Don't count on hearing from UCLA anytime soon, I heard from a grad student there that they haven't even been able to start looking at applications yet because of the sudden unforeseen switch in application platforms that happened in November. It'll be a while!

1 hour ago, clinpsych55 said:

Don't count on hearing from UCLA anytime soon, I heard from a grad student there that they haven't even been able to start looking at applications yet because of the sudden unforeseen switch in application platforms that happened in November. It'll be a while!

Not UCLA, but one of my programs did a platform switch in November and had some serious glitches on top with the application process because of the switch. When I searched the invite threads for past years, they had sent out invites by now. I didn't even consider that they might be delayed because of dealing with application issues. Thanks for mentioning this!

1 hour ago, clinpsych55 said:

I’m in Social psych so it may differ between departments, but I had a phone interview today with my POI at UCLA who said that (at least for social) interview invites should be heading out in the next few days. I think there was a slight delay but they’re trying to get back to people soon :) 

2 hours ago, PsyZei said:

I haven't really heard anything yet.  I heard from one of the professors at the school where I'm doing my Master's today and she said she wouldn't be interviewing me, but I don't know if that means the other POIs aren't either.  I'm seeing both later this week for a research meeting, so I'll find out more then.  So maybe I've gotten a rejection? 

3 hours ago, PsyZei said:

I'm in that exact situation, having heard nothing from any program. It's so nerve racking. I keep thinking, how simultaneously relieving and insulting it might be to get an offer later than these rounds of interview invites I see going out. Of course I would leap at the chance to study in any of the programs to which I've applied, but the proud part of me still would like them to want me as a top choice. I've got a clear chance to grow where humility is concerned.

Is the entire point of this application process just to turn us into a mess of feels? Because it's working.

3 hours ago, PsyZei said:

I applied to wisconsin and UMN as well. so frustrating seeing others get some feedback when I feel like i'm fumbling in the dark. On some level I tell myself to take it that I've gotten rejected and to start planning for the new year with work and applying next cycle :S

4 hours ago, PsyZei said:

I do think it is worth keeping in perspective that there have actually been very few schools sending out invites at this time. For example, I've heard from 1/9 schools, and I was shocked to have already heard from that 1. It is also worth noting that if they haven't reviewed their applications yet (or very soon) there will be a decrease in the number of invites going out until after New Years because the schools will take off.

2 hours ago, PsyZei said:

I have heard back from 3 of the programs I applied to. I was told that most programs usually get back to people around late January or early February. But honestly I feel like it depends on the program!

57 minutes ago, Quant_Psych_2018 said:

I do think it is worth keeping in perspective that there have actually been very few schools sending out invites at this time. For example, I've heard from 1/9 schools, and I was shocked to have already heard from that 1. It is also worth noting that if they haven't reviewed their applications yet (or very soon) there will be a decrease in the number of invites going out until after New Years because the schools will take off.

Good point about how from here until after the first of the year there will be a lull. 

Okay, I'm freaking out. Did anyone else apply to University of Wisconsin Milwaukee? I just realized that I didn't submit my whole application. Their application portal was totally different than any other school I applied to. It says each questionnaire was submitted but not the whole application (I don't understand how that makes sense?). I paid for the application, had my GRE scores sent there and LOR of rec way before deadline. Ahhhhh! 

3 hours ago, cindyboop said:

Okay, I'm freaking out. Did anyone else apply to University of Wisconsin Milwaukee? I just realized that I didn't submit my whole application. Their application portal was totally different than any other school I applied to. It says each questionnaire was submitted but not the whole application (I don't understand how that makes sense?). I paid for the application, had my GRE scores sent there and LOR of rec way before deadline. Ahhhhh! 

While I didn’t apply there, I had that happen to me last cycle. I called the graduate school and they told me the department hadn’t started viewing yet and I was fine. I would start calling to see if that’s the case for you too- you could get lucky? 

6 minutes ago, Psychapplica said:

While I didn’t apply there, I had that happen to me last cycle. I called the graduate school and they told me the department hadn’t started viewing yet and I was fine. I would start calling to see if that’s the case for you too- you could get lucky? 

Thanks! I emailed them and they haven't answered me yet, I should probably just call. I'm so annoyed with myself. It is also so weird that it says "submitting a questionnaire does not submit the whole application" I honestly don't know what that means. Did they get the questionnaire or I just couldn't change it after I hit "submit" but they couldn't see anything unless I submitted the whole application? so weird..

4 hours ago, cindyboop said:

You paid the application fee, but your application wasn't submitted? How do you know you didn't submit the whole thing? For one of the schools I applied to (not UW-Milwaukee), the "application" link just links to a list of each individual piece of my app where it says whether it was received or not, and the instructions say that as long as everything says "received," the application is complete. I guess I'm a little confused how you were able to submit a payment without submitting the application? In any case, I would just call them to find out.

Edit: Did you get a confirmation email from them?

Edited by pataka

20 minutes ago, pataka said:

You paid the application fee, but your application wasn't submitted? How do you know you didn't submit the whole thing? For one of the schools I applied to (not UW-Milwaukee), the "application" link just links to a list of each individual piece of my app where it says whether it was received or not, and the instructions say that as long as everything says "received," the application is complete. I guess I'm a little confused how you were able to submit a payment without submitting the application? In any case, I would just call them to find out.

Edit: Did you get a confirmation email from them?

It's hard to explain. Everything was a separate piece, including the application fee, that had to be "submitted" and when it was it received a check mark. Then after everything had a check mark there was a button to "submit application". I have no idea why they did it that way. I just received an email back from them that said they do receive the pieces as they are submitted and because I paid before the deadline my application is being reviewed. So relieved! 

19 hours ago, appletoapple said:

has anyone heard from UCLA, Davis, Oregon for their developmental programs? :( 

Hey everyone, 

I just got off the phone with a POI at UCLA for the developmental psychology program. We had a nice chat (if not a little scattered). However, he didnt mention anything about formal interviews, but seemed to like the conversation.

Is it typical to recieve a formal invite during this type of conversation or should I expect that during a post-email (or not at all)?

Just wanted to get thoughts/ others experiences!!

15 minutes ago, Boronmage said:

Hey everyone, 

I just got off the phone with a POI at UCLA for the developmental psychology program. We had a nice chat (if not a little scattered). However, he didnt mention anything about formal interviews, but seemed to like the conversation.

Is it typical to recieve a formal invite during this type of conversation or should I expect that during a post-email (or not at all)?

Just wanted to get thoughts/ others experiences!!

I think some PIs are confidently able to extend an invite, while other programs take the PIs feedback and make a collective decision to extend an invitation. So with that being said, its not atypical to not receive an immediate invite!