PhD Fall 2018 Applicants

vallaboop

@rvavr @cindyboop Thanks for the support! I sent an email to both the recommender and school, so hopefully they both check their emails before break! I know some schools say they'll still review your application regardless of status, but I believe this one said that if all materials aren't submitted then they won't look at it. I'm just upset that it took me this long to discover it :( guess I'm down to 7 chances now ugh.

42 minutes ago, psychonerd said:

I have checked my emails every 30 minutes since like the 17th. Might be neuroticism, but maybe I should add it as a skill to my CV for next year. :lol: @nicokren I made a mistake on that app, as well..it was a unique format for sure. 

I'm pretty sure this response would be considered normal anxiety as opposed to neurotic anxiety (or so I'm telling myself), so totally belongs on the CV. "I am proficient at finding productive ways to handle normal anxiety by making choices and engaging in actions that allow me to stay constantly apprised of any possible shift in the anxiety inducing scenario."

3 minutes ago, PsyZei said:

"I am proficient at finding productive ways to handle normal anxiety by making choices and engaging in actions that allow me to stay constantly apprised of any possible shift in the anxiety inducing scenario."

How to Frame Your Weaknesses as Strengths 101  :lol:

iWill be having a skype interview with two faculty members at USC(although neither is my POI) in early January, it seems the interview will be in regards to my POI. 

Sub-Discipline: Cognitive Neuroscience - Brain and Creativity Institute 

Edited by hg92

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:12 PM, ZachOxford said:

I’m in Social psych so it may differ between departments, but I had a phone interview today with my POI at UCLA who said that (at least for social) interview invites should be heading out in the next few days. I think there was a slight delay but they’re trying to get back to people soon :) 

@ZachOxfordAwww UCLA is one of my top choices. If you don't mind, can you DM your who your POI is?  I haven't heard from them yet and having a minor freak-out. I'm a cog. neuroscience girl but I applied to the social psych department at UCLA because they have some AMAZING social neuroscience research going on....

Congrats on the initial interview btw! Hope it went well :)

Edited by hg92

Do programs send interview invites out all at once? I just saw on the survey someone was invited for an interview at a school that I thought was my safety school. I'm really upset...

Anyone know what the timeline is like for social psychology, particularly compared to clinical, for most programs? I am noticing increasingly more people receiving invite emails and POIs reaching out, and I concede, it is making me a bit nervous. I am trying not get disheartened, and I suppose one thing I keep wondering is if a lot of the posts I see are clinical because clinical receives emails first or if it is just because there are more clinical people posting on this forum. Anyone have thoughts? Does social tend to send out emails and invites later, in general?

9 hours ago, cindyboop said:

Do programs send interview invites out all at once? I just saw on the survey someone was invited for an interview at a school that I thought was my safety school. I'm really upset...

I think its different for every school: some departments do it all at once and some I have found send out at different times depending on the area within the department. Im trying to not get down until after the holidays, you never know what can happen!

5 hours ago, psychonerd said:

I think its different for every school: some departments do it all at once and some I have found send out at different times depending on the area within the department. Im trying to not get down until after the holidays, you never know what can happen!

That's true, it's still early. Thanks!

I am officially calling it quits on holding my breathe about any last minute notifications before the holiday closings. Hope everyone has a great next week and that we all get amazing news next year! :D

25 minutes ago, PsyZei said:

I am officially calling it quits on holding my breathe about any last minute notifications before the holiday closings. Hope everyone has a great next week and that we all get amazing news next year! :D

I'm trying to do the same but I keep thinking about time differences and holding out hope for today. So silly. Happy holidays and good luck to you!

4 hours ago, PsyZei said:

Last year  I received an interview invite on the 22nd of December and another on the 24th.

4 hours ago, TenaciousBushLeaper said:

Last year  I received an interview invite on the 22nd of December and another on the 24th.

Last year the 24th was on a Saturday, so I guess I need to hold my breath for a little bit longer ;-) 

I received an email from Kent state on Friday that my app had been sent to department for review. Did anyone else get this email Friday? I’m concerned because I see others receiving interviews. I had several back and forth phone calls with the graduate school and psych department bc one transcript was missing. Just one —from my community college ( I now have my masters, and they had that transcript and my undergrad). The psych department said they could view it anyway, but I’m concerned that it wasn’t viewed until the new copy of my community college transcripts were received.  Ughhh

I made the mistake of telling my family about my interview and now they're acting like I got accepted and they're so happy. When I told them it was just an interview they kept acting like it was just a formality and I will still get in. :wacko: now I'm extra anxious because I don't want to disappoint them! What do I do? *face palm* 

On 12/24/2017 at 8:14 AM, Psychapplica said:

I received an email from Kent state on Friday that my app had been sent to department for review. Did anyone else get this email Friday? I’m concerned because I see others receiving interviews. I had several back and forth phone calls with the graduate school and psych department bc one transcript was missing. Just one —from my community college ( I now have my masters, and they had that transcript and my undergrad). The psych department said they could view it anyway, but I’m concerned that it wasn’t viewed until the new copy of my community college transcripts were received.  Ughhh

I wouldn't be worried! If you paid for the app and sent everything else in on time I am sure they were looking at it. The email you got might just be the generic email because all your materials were submitted. Something like a transcript, LOR or GRE scores aren't entirely in your hands when it comes to when they get submitted. Problems like this happen. Deep breath! 

15 hours ago, cindyboop said:

I made the mistake of telling my family about my interview and now they're acting like I got accepted and they're so happy. When I told them it was just an interview they kept acting like it was just a formality and I will still get in. :wacko: now I'm extra anxious because I don't want to disappoint them! What do I do? *face palm* 

In a similar position and definitely feeling the weight of expectations/hopes/dreams of other people. Honestly, I'm trying my best to absorb their good vibes (honestly any belief in me and my abilities during this app season is valuable) and just to prep/do as best one reasonably can in the interview. If I do my best, I (hopefully) won't feel like I'm disappointing anyone no matter the outcome. Still working on it though haha.

6 hours ago, psykick said:

In a similar position and definitely feeling the weight of expectations/hopes/dreams of other people. Honestly, I'm trying my best to absorb their good vibes (honestly any belief in me and my abilities during this app season is valuable) and just to prep/do as best one reasonably can in the interview. If I do my best, I (hopefully) won't feel like I'm disappointing anyone no matter the outcome. Still working on it though haha.

I feel exactly the same way! Other peoples good vibes is helping me not go completely insane but at the same time it's making me nervous. I was already worried about disappointing myself. Hopefully other peoples positivity  will give us the confidence to do well in our interviews so we have the best outcomes!

6 hours ago, psych-grad said:

Submitted app to Rutgers New Brunswick after positive exchange with POI.  His research is my very top fit.  Application was submitted 12:00 PM, so it was technically a day late!  Also, not all letters were received on time.  Also, second to last sentence in PS was incomplete/grammatically nonsense.  Official deadline was 12/15. Would they be done reviewing by now? Should I have heard from them already? I searched but found no forum posts related to this. Please let me know what to expect!

Did the POI say it was okay to apply even if the app was a bit late? I know it's okay for LOR to be received a bit after the deadline. You might want to reach out to the admissions office to see if they received all your materials and what not. If you submitted at 12:00 am on the 16th I highly doubt that will be a big deal. If it let you submit and pay you should be okay. In regards to your personal statement, I've noticed an error in one of mine as well, as long as the rest of your letter is strong I think it will be okay. Errors happen even in published journal articles so don't be too stressed out! To err is human. In regards to Rutgers New Brunswick, I applied to the behavioral and systems neuroscience track of the psych program and I haven't heard anything yet either. I haven't head of anyone hearing back yet. I think it is still early, especially since this school had a later deadline. So keep your head up!

I just spent the first 5 minutes of my phone interview stumbling through my words and it got so bad I had to tell the PI "I'm more nervous than I thought I would be, I'm sorry" hahaha. Please tell me I didn't mess this up :(

4 minutes ago, pataka said:

I just spent the first 5 minutes of my phone interview stumbling through my words and it got so bad I had to tell the PI "I'm more nervous than I thought I would be, I'm sorry" hahaha. Please tell me I didn't mess this up :(

I'm sure it's fine! Phone interviews are awkward because you don't get social cues from body language. I wouldn't worry!

36 minutes ago, pataka said:

I think you're totally fine! PI's expect this. When I was preparing for my first informal skype interview, I was joking with my roommate that I felt like I was getting ready for a date (practicing my schpeals in front of the mirror, coiffing my hair excessively...as if thats what was going to get me a formal interview :P ). Im sure you did just fine! And this is important to prepare you for the real thing. It'll help you realize the areas of your narrative that you need to tune up, even if it literally means repeating the same thing to yourself over and over again. you got this!