PhD Fall 2018 Applicants

vallaboop

On 1/5/2018 at 12:29 PM, cindyboop said:

I've only heard from one and it's driving me crazy! I'm only positive that one other school I applied to has sent out interview invites though. I hate this feeling uncertainty and through all my scouring of this forum I haven't found people applying to most the programs I applied to so I have no idea if I will ever know whether or not it's time to worry until it's too late :( 

I see that you applied to the CU Boulder behavioral neuroscience program. I haven't seen anyone else applying there this round. There isn't much data in the results section for it, either. Have you seen anything about when they might send out invites or how the interviews work? I noticed some Skype and phone interviews in the results section.

16 hours ago, hg92 said:

For those waiting on NYU's social area...I received emailed confirmation from my POI that all invitations for the area have been sent for their open house. 

However, he mentioned that students are still being considering for their masters programs. 

Also, keep your heads up everyone....my friend got rejected from their PhD program, accepted into the masters, but ended up with offers from UCLA and Stanford. It's all about fit. :D

I believe NYU often shuttles PhD applicants into their Masters programs lol. Last year when I applied I was even asked point blank by my POI how I would feel about being offered a spot in their MA program.

38 minutes ago, minds said:

I see that you applied to the CU Boulder behavioral neuroscience program. I haven't seen anyone else applying there this round. There isn't much data in the results section for it, either. Have you seen anything about when they might send out invites or how the interviews work? I noticed some Skype and phone interviews in the results section.

I actually applied to the behavioral, psychiatric, statistical genetics program. I was applying to their behavioral neuroscience but I felt the faculty in the other track were a better fit for me. Unfortunately I haven't seen anything other than what you have. I keep checking though and my application still just says submitted. 

Edited by cindyboop

I noticed on the survey responses that someone applying to UCSB's psychology department received an invitation. Anyone know if they have completed all of their invitations? It seems that last cycle, they completed invitations on approximately January 5th-6th.

4 minutes ago, Stauce said:

I noticed on the survey responses that someone applying to UCSB's psychology department received an invitation. Anyone know if they have completed all of their invitations? It seems that last cycle, they completed invitations on approximately January 5th-6th.

I'm curious about this too. Also wondering what track the person who received an interview applied to

@01sonal LOL. Based on last years admissions results...this is totally what I was sensing.  I  guess the department really needs more money :rolleyes:TBH I normally wouldn't mind be shuttled into the masters if I had the money...but considering I just accumulated $45k in debt completing a post-bacc, it wouldn't even remotely be an option for me. It seems the more effective route would be to work full-time in research and gain relevant experience that way. But hey, if they wanted to offer me admissions into the masters program, my ego wouldn't mind it...it would likely soften the overall wound of the PhD rejection.:lol:

8 hours ago, 01sonal said:

I believe NYU often shuttles PhD applicants into their Masters programs lol. Last year when I applied I was even asked point blank by my POI how I would feel about being offered a spot in their MA program.

Edited by hg92

1 hour ago, hg92 said:

@01sonal LOL. Based on last years admissions results...this is totally what I was sensing.  I  guess the department really needs more money :rolleyes:TBH I normally wouldn't mind be shuttled into the masters if I had the money...but considering I just accumulated $45k in debt completing a post-bacc, it wouldn't even remotely be an option for me. It seems the more effective route would be to work full-time in research and gain relevant experience that way. But hey, if they wanted to offer me admissions into the masters program, my ego wouldn't mind it...it would likely soften the overall wound of the PhD rejection.:lol:

Same! It's funny because that's a trend even across different schools at NYU. I actually applied to their Developmental program in the school of education (Steinhardt), and they still tried the same thing on me. I had (still have) so much debt from undergrad, I honestly told her that I was sorry but 1) I didn't have the financial means and 2) I knew that I would get a Masters on the way to my PhD so personally I was not trying to complete a terminal Masters. Doing another year as an RA/lab manager was my back-up plan for sure had I not been accepted somewhere. Of course it depends on where you went to undergrad and whether you got research experience there/what your GPA was, but IMO spending the year working between application cycles is a much smarter choice especially if the Masters isn't funded. 

Edited by 01sonal

I am freaking out because I think my low GRE scores (both verbal and quant), as expected, will keep me out of grad school. I see people getting interview invitations / interview dates being posted for universities that I applied to (Yale, Temple, University of Pennsylvania, University of Oregon, University of Wyoming). 

My Background: BA in Psychology + BA dissertation; Msc in Neuropsychology + Msc dissertation; 8 publications (2nd and 3rd co-authorships);  6 years of research; 4 years of clinical work; 5 poster presentations and abstract submissions.

Program and Term of interest: Clinical Psychology/fall 2018 

Applied to (in no particular order): Yale University, Harvard University, University of Pennsylvania, University of Michigan, University of Iowa, Temple university, Indiana University Bloomington, Duke University, University of Oregon, Boston university, The University of Vermont, University of Wisconsin-Madison, The university of Maine, University of Wyoming, George Mason University, Eastern Michigan University,  Washington State University, University of Missouri, Kansas City. 

Received interview invitation at: Eastern Michigan University 

Rejected by: University of Iowa

Accepted by: ...

I cannot wait to go to therapy this weekend to vent! I don't know if I can survive 18 rejections. This whole process was expensive and emotionally draining. 

1 hour ago, Oliverwilde said:

I am freaking out because I think my low GRE scores (both verbal and quant), as expected, will keep me out of grad school. I see people getting interview invitations / interview dates being posted for universities that I applied to (Yale, Temple, University of Pennsylvania, University of Oregon, University of Wyoming). 

My Background: BA in Psychology + BA dissertation; Msc in Neuropsychology + Msc dissertation; 8 publications (2nd and 3rd co-authorships);  6 years of research; 4 years of clinical work; 5 poster presentations and abstract submissions.

Program and Term of interest: Clinical Psychology/fall 2018 

Applied to (in no particular order): Yale University, Harvard University, University of Pennsylvania, University of Michigan, University of Iowa, Temple university, Indiana University Bloomington, Duke University, University of Oregon, Boston university, The University of Vermont, University of Wisconsin-Madison, The university of Maine, University of Wyoming, George Mason University, Eastern Michigan University,  Washington State University, University of Missouri, Kansas City. 

Received interview invitation at: Eastern Michigan University 

Rejected by: University of Iowa

Accepted by: ...

I cannot wait to go to therapy this weekend to vent! I don't know if I can survive 18 rejections. This whole process was expensive and emotionally draining. 

What are your scores?

On 1/6/2018 at 12:15 PM, pataka said:

Hey all! Thanks again for everyone who offered encouragement after I was super worried about my shaky phone interview. If you wanted an update: I received an email yesterday with an invite for the onsite interview, stating they were very impressed with my phone interview, haha. I guess you never really know what they're thinking or looking for!

Interview is for UMD College Park in February.

That's awesome, congratulations! Did you apply to UMD's clinical program or their counseling psych program? I applied to UMD's counseling psych program an am assuming this means I got rejected, but good luck to you :) 

13 hours ago, pettyaspraxis said:

That's awesome, congratulations! Did you apply to UMD's clinical program or their counseling psych program? I applied to UMD's counseling psych program an am assuming this means I got rejected, but good luck to you :) 

Thank you! I applied to the counseling psych program. The invite came directly from my PoI, though, so I have no way of knowing if all of the invites have been sent out yet. Good luck!

Just in case anyone was wondering about University of Michigan's developmental psychology area. I received a phone call from my POI who let me know that admission decisions were made yesterday and that they have begun contacting admitted students via phone or email. 

Hey, if anyone is interested, UNC Chapel Hill lists their final date for sending out invites for clinical psychology as January 20th. See here for a timeline. It is not clear whether these dates generalize to other departments within psychology, but I would assume it does.

The following is listed for the notification date as well:

Interview Notification Date

All applicants invited for an interview will be notified no later than this date. Some faculty may contact applicants informally before this date to ask questions regarding the application. Being contacted, or not contacted, by faculty member for such an informal discussion does not signal who will be invited for a formal interview. Please note: Candidates applying for entry in Fall 2018 may hear about interviews at different times during the application process, as faculty may contact applicants invited for an interview at different times. When all applicants invited for an interview have been notified, this website will be promptly updated.

Applicants not invited for an interview are notified by UNC Graduate School. We are sorry that this process sometimes takes longer than is optimal. Again, please note that all applicants who have proceeded to the next stage of the admission process will have been invited for an interview before January 20, with most hearing in the first two weeks of January 2018.

17 minutes ago, ilikepsych said:

Just in case anyone was wondering about University of Michigan's developmental psychology area. I received a phone call from my POI who let me know that admission decisions were made yesterday and that they have begun contacting admitted students via phone or email. 

Congratulations!

Do you happen to know anything about other areas of psych at UMich (like clinical science)? I was under the impression that February 16-17 were formal onsite interview dates, but the website says "recruitment weekend" even for clinical science so now I'm worried that I haven't heard anything from my PoI since our phone call almost a month ago :(

2 hours ago, pataka said:

Congratulations!

Do you happen to know anything about other areas of psych at UMich (like clinical science)? I was under the impression that February 16-17 were formal onsite interview dates, but the website says "recruitment weekend" even for clinical science so now I'm worried that I haven't heard anything from my PoI since our phone call almost a month ago :(

When I went to their diversity recruitment weekend in October, they said that CCN, biopsychology, and clinical science were the three areas that had "interviews." Since developmental psychology's recruitment weekend is the same as other areas' "interview weekend" (or "recruitment weekend," even) I would say that if they have not offered you admission yet, you should consider it an on-site interview. The activities for each area are different, so those who have not been formally accepted yet might expect to talk to faculty and grad students more formally, whereas those who have already been accepted (i.e., developmental area applicants) might have more casual and relaxed conversations with faculty and grad students. 

I'd say give it till the end of this week, or next week even. Developmental usually makes decisions very quickly. I think clinical has the largest number of applications of all the areas so it might take a while to sift through. 

13 minutes ago, ilikepsych said:

When I went to their diversity recruitment weekend in October, they said that CCN, biopsychology, and clinical science were the three areas that had "interviews." Since developmental psychology's recruitment weekend is the same as other areas' "interview weekend" (or "recruitment weekend," even) I would say that if they have not offered you admission yet, you should consider it an on-site interview. The activities for each area are different, so those who have not been formally accepted yet might expect to talk to faculty and grad students more formally, whereas those who have already been accepted (i.e., developmental area applicants) might have more casual and relaxed conversations with faculty and grad students. 

I'd say give it till the end of this week, or next week even. Developmental usually makes decisions very quickly. I think clinical has the largest number of applications of all the areas so it might take a while to sift through. 

This is so helpful; thank you so much! I suppose I'll just keep waiting, then :lol:

If anyone is interested in Nebraska-Lincoln, Clinical. I got an email letting me know all interviews have been extended.

4 minutes ago, EN94 said:

Has anyone heard from the clinical track out of Minnesota's child psych program (DPCS)?

Hey, I noticed you just spammed like four different threads with this same exact question. Perhaps a better thing to do would be to browse the Results page to see if anyone has posted about your program of interest?