PhD Fall 2018 Applicants

vallaboop

25 minutes ago, nicokren said:

I've applied to Social programs! I suppose I'll come up with a Plan B then haha 

Ah, got it!  Either way, I believe most graduate psychology programs have sent interview invites, but I'd recommend just waiting one more week before starting to make alternative plans. If you need some input at that stage, feel free to message me ?

On 1/27/2018 at 7:44 AM, nicokren said:

I've heard nothing from my programs (other than UC Davis). I have emailed POIs for an update with nothing in return. Is this normal? I feel like that is just a precursor to the rejection letter.

I'm in the same boat nicokren.  What's your plan B you're working on?

On 1/27/2018 at 4:51 PM, JoePianist said:

Ah, got it!  Either way, I believe most graduate psychology programs have sent interview invites, but I'd recommend just waiting one more week before starting to make alternative plans. If you need some input at that stage, feel free to message me ?

Thank you! I will do so!

14 hours ago, topsailpsych said:

I'm in the same boat nicokren.  What's your plan B you're working on?

Terrible, isn't it? I simply would just like to know so I can move forward. As for my plan B, I am an adjunct professor at a community college so I believe my next plan of action would be to do whatever I can  to try and become a full time faculty member. Do you have any ideas of what you will do?

On 1/28/2018 at 1:10 AM, Psychapplica said:

Thank you for the feedback and thank you Cindyboop! The first 3 times I took the test- same exact score. The last time I took a prep course with financial aid and my quant went up 8 points ?. You make a great point, most of us don’t have the luxury to drop our job and study at the moment! I sure don’t! This advice was all very helpful.

I took the gres twice before and got the exact score. Third time around I paced myself over 6months doing the prep with magoosh. I got a 6 point jump on my total putting me in the 90s and 80s percentile. It was difficult juggling both a research job and tryinna study (caffeine pills helped me survive), had to give up my social life. But I think it was worth it. Then again I've not received a single interview or invite so what do I know hahahah :"(

This may be a weird question but for those who have experienced an interview weekend were you able to get a sense of your chances from the current grad students? Maybe from students in your POI's lab or your host? I was just wondering if any of them hinted or acted in a way that tipped you off. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, DevPsy said:

This may be a weird question but for those who have experienced an interview weekend were you able to get a sense of your chances from the current grad students? Maybe from students in your POI's lab or your host? I was just wondering if any of them hinted or acted in a way that tipped you off. Thanks! 

I went to an interview and the professor told me she really wanted me to choose that program because she loved my research ideas. I'm guessing that's a good indication of a possible acceptance? 

5 hours ago, loffire said:

I took the gres twice before and got the exact score. Third time around I paced myself over 6months doing the prep with magoosh. I got a 6 point jump on my total putting me in the 90s and 80s percentile. It was difficult juggling both a research job and tryinna study (caffeine pills helped me survive), had to give up my social life. But I think it was worth it. Then again I've not received a single interview or invite so what do I know hahahah :"(

Don’t be so hard on yourself! This is not my first cycle of applications... it’s also not my second unfortunately. I have two reference writers with two very very different views on the GRE. One values it a little. The other- phew! It serves as an indicator for how much work he/she will have to do as a writing mentor. Go figure? 

As an update- I emailed the POI that asked about my gre scores. I haven’t heard back... we shall see ? idk if I would be happy at a program that can’t look beyond GRE scores given everything else in my CV!

Has anyone heard from any of these schools yet?

University of Arizona - Clinical

University of Oregon - Cognitive

University of Denver - Cognitive

University of Florida - cognitive

Stony Brook - Cognitive

@VVMM I heard from UFL developmental- I acknowledge it’s not cognitive. The POI mentioned bringing applicant nomination info before the committee. He/She called as we had spoken a while back, our latest convo was not an interview. It sounds like they have a multi-step process. After committee meets they send acceptances in waves according to funding. He/she did mention that all 5 concentrations meet at this committee. It sounds like the realm of possibilities for UFL are still wide open. 

Edited by Psychapplica

2 hours ago, Psychapplica said:

@VVMM I heard from UFL developmental- I acknowledge it’s not cognitive. The POI mentioned bringing applicant nomination info before the committee. He/She called as we had spoken a while back, our latest convo was not an interview. It sounds like they have a multi-step process. After committee meets they send acceptances in waves according to funding. He/she did mention that all 5 concentrations meet at this committee. It sounds like the realm of possibilities for UFL are still wide open. 

Thank you so much for the information. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Has anyone heard from any of the following schools?

Columbia (cognitive)

Cornell (cognitive)

McGill (cognitive)

NYU (social)

OSU (Ohio State) (social)

Rutgers (social)

UCLA (cognitive)

UIUC (cognitive)

TAMU (Texas A&M) (cognitive)

UMass Lowell (cognitive)

Thank you so much! Good luck everyone!!

18 minutes ago, roii said:

Columbia (cognitive)

Cornell (cognitive)

McGill (cognitive)

NYU (social)

Rutgers (social)

UCLA (cognitive)

UIUC (cognitive)

UMass Lowell (cognitive)

I am almost entirely confident that all Ohio State social psychology invites/acceptances have been submitted. They have to finalize flights for reimbursement by 2/1, so I doubt they will send invites/acceptances now.

I have my first interview Friday (ahh!) but I am kind of surprised about something. I received my itinerary and I have three back to back interviews with different faculty members. Two are within the program I applied to, the other is in the clinical program. Does anyone know what this might mean? Do you think they might try to get me to switch to a different program? 

17 minutes ago, cindyboop said:

I have my first interview Friday (ahh!) but I am kind of surprised about something. I received my itinerary and I have three back to back interviews with different faculty members. Two are within the program I applied to, the other is in the clinical program. Does anyone know what this might mean? Do you think they might try to get me to switch to a different program? 

No - not likely at all. They just want to see how you interact with a diverse set of people. Don’t think too much of it. 

4 minutes ago, Clinapp2017 said:

No - not likely at all. They just want to see how you interact with a diverse set of people. Don’t think too much of it. 

Okay, thanks! It just threw me off. Especially because it looks like they admit a small handful of people to their clinical program but only one to each of the other tracks. Which I still can't wrap my head around...

2 hours ago, cindyboop said:

Okay, thanks! It just threw me off. Especially because it looks like they admit a small handful of people to their clinical program but only one to each of the other tracks. Which I still can't wrap my head around...

Agreed. I also interviewed with someone in clinical. She asked a lot more logistical and straightforward interview questions than those in my concentration. Could add a neutral opinion to the interview process. In my experience she also gave unbiased answers (there was a lot of selling the program). 

9 minutes ago, Psychapplica said:

Agreed. I also interviewed with someone in clinical. She asked a lot more logistical and straightforward interview questions than those in my concentration. Could add a neutral opinion to the interview process. In my experience she also gave unbiased answers (there was a lot of selling the program). 

Interesting. Thanks, that was helpful

22 hours ago, roii said:

Columbia (cognitive)

Cornell (cognitive)

McGill (cognitive)

NYU (social)

Rutgers (social)

UCLA (cognitive)

UIUC (cognitive)

UMass Lowell (cognitive)

I heard back from cornell in december their interview weekend is feb.22-24. Also I think the interview for UCLA is this weekend 

17 hours ago, peter45 said:

No!! My invite letter said they'd let me know by the end of this month, so they should be telling us soon, right?!

I emailed today because I will be flying in internationally and wanted to prepare as much as I could before my jet-lag sets in. I really hope they get back to us soon? Does anyone know how research heavy the CUNY interviews are and how many people they have invited in general? I know there are two separate dates, but that's all 

3 hours ago, fr0sting said:

Has anyone got any news or updates from Berkeley for psych? 

Berkeley had their interview weekend for the psych program last weekend. They’re sending out acceptances now.