PhD Fall 2018 Applicants

vallaboop

Well. Just got rejected from UNL after interviewing. Besides being really disappointed, I'm also very panicky now. I only have one other Ph.D. interview, so I'm feeling quite hopeless and thinking that I might have to settle for my back-up plan (masters degree first).

This process is such a rollercoaster of emotions :(

16 minutes ago, Torple said:

Berkeley had their interview weekend for the psych program last weekend. They’re sending out acceptances now. 

Nice, thanks Torple! I keep checking my email, haha! Did you get an acceptance from Berkeley then?

15 hours ago, cindyboop said:

I have my first interview Friday (ahh!) but I am kind of surprised about something. I received my itinerary and I have three back to back interviews with different faculty members. Two are within the program I applied to, the other is in the clinical program. Does anyone know what this might mean? Do you think they might try to get me to switch to a different program? 

My professor told me to not be surprised if someone that isn't a POI interviews you. Schools sometimes add "filler" interviews to kind of check you out and make sure you're sane/can handle the rigor and ask all the neutral questions. 

3 minutes ago, clinical_chicana said:

Has anyone gone to an interview and developed a major crush on another applicant? Or is it just me? lol

What did the applicant do to charm you? Tell us what their answers to interview questions were. :)

On 2/1/2018 at 11:01 AM, clinical_chicana said:

Has anyone gone to an interview and developed a major crush on another applicant? Or is it just me? lol

HAHA. Actually, that totally happened to me. And we were applying for the same lab as well. We were direct competitors, but she was one of the nicest people I've ever met. Kind of distracted me the whole interview weekend. I wonder what became of her. 

On 2/3/2018 at 10:33 PM, Sherrinford said:

HAHA. Actually, that totally happened to me. And we were applying for the same lab as well. We were direct competitors, but she was one of the nicest people I've ever met. Kind of distracted me the whole interview weekend. I wonder what became of her. 

You could have asked for her email address to stay in contact at least. That's what I did during my interviews with a few fellow applicants.

19 hours ago, Sherrinford said:

It was so distracting for me too!! I actually managed to get her number and we've texted a few times since the interview, but, unfortunately, I doubt we will ever meet each other again.

On 1/31/2018 at 4:29 PM, ezraontheinternet said:

Well. Just got rejected from UNL after interviewing. Besides being really disappointed, I'm also very panicky now. I only have one other Ph.D. interview, so I'm feeling quite hopeless and thinking that I might have to settle for my back-up plan (masters degree first).

This process is such a rollercoaster of emotions :(

Sorry to hear about that. I hope the last one comes through for you! Other than Towson, have you applied for any other master's programs?

Edited by eevans
misspelled something

1 hour ago, eevans said:

Sorry to hear about that. I hope the last one comes through for you! Other than Towson, have you applied for any other master's programs?

Thanks! Got word today that I got waitlisted at my last Ph.D. program, so I'm holding out for that. Towson was my only master's program (it's my undergrad), although when I got rejected from UMass Boston they asked if I wanted to be considered for their master's program, so I might let them do that.

48 minutes ago, ezraontheinternet said:

Thanks! Got word today that I got waitlisted at my last Ph.D. program, so I'm holding out for that. Towson was my only master's program (it's my undergrad), although when I got rejected from UMass Boston they asked if I wanted to be considered for their master's program, so I might let them do that.

Glad there's some good news then! I'm looking at applying for programs near the end of this year, and just started my first thread on this forum an hour or two ago. If you get a minute, I'd love your input on what you think my best options are going forward. Thanks!

For those interested, I got a rejection email today from UNC Chapel Hill's Behavioral & Integrative Neuroscience Program. 

5 minutes ago, minds said:

For those interested, I got a rejection email today from UNC Chapel Hill's Behavioral & Integrative Neuroscience Program. 

Sorry to hear that - looks like you've got some great interviews though!

For one of my interviews, I was invited by two POIs. Is there a possibility to be extended an offer by both of them? Do I need to indicate a stronger interest in one POI over the other? Or would it be okay to say I would happily accept an offer from either one of the POIs? any advice regarding interviewing with two potential mentors at the same program would be very helpful! 

1 hour ago, clinical_chicana said:

For one of my interviews, I was invited by two POIs. Is there a possibility to be extended an offer by both of them? Do I need to indicate a stronger interest in one POI over the other? Or would it be okay to say I would happily accept an offer from either one of the POIs? any advice regarding interviewing with two potential mentors at the same program would be very helpful! 

I've had this experience at two interviews so far and I think you would only get an offer from one or the other. I'm guessing they meet and talk about which lab you would be a better fit for/which lab is most interested in you. I don't think you need to indicate a stronger interest in one of them unless they ask and you do feel really strongly about one vs the other. There is also the possibility that the two POIs are looking to co-mentor someone which they would likely tell you about during the interview! 

I recently received a rejection letter immediately following an exhausting but positive day-long interview. Because of that weird juxtaposition, I just wanted to send everyone words of encouragement and support through this long, emotional, seemingly never ending process. There are a lot of ups and downs, excitement and disappointment, and it can be a lot to balance and just let it roll off of you. Reminder to myself (and everyone!) to not be fatalistic about your accomplishments and the hard work everyone's put into their applications and career trajectory. The admissions process is a strange beast for sure. Trying to remind myself that resilience just makes way for growth. 

Good luck everyone! We got this, even when we think we don't. 

3 minutes ago, courtnord said:

I recently received a rejection letter immediately following an exhausting but positive day-long interview. Because of that weird juxtaposition, I just wanted to send everyone words of encouragement and support through this long, emotional, seemingly never ending process. There are a lot of ups and downs, excitement and disappointment, and it can be a lot to balance and just let it roll off of you. Reminder to myself (and everyone!) to not be fatalistic about your accomplishments and the hard work everyone's put into their applications and career trajectory. The admissions process is a strange beast for sure. Trying to remind myself that resilience just makes way for growth. 

Good luck everyone! We got this, even when we think we don't. 

I really needed this today. Thanks for your kind words—you’re right, we got this :)