PhD Fall 2018 Applicants

vallaboop

I thought everyone here would like this:

Somone on Reddit estimated decision timelines based on GradCafe data. For each university and program you will find three graphs:

• Decision timeline as a cumulative sum of decisions (accept, reject, interview, waitlist) as a function of time between Jan 1 and May 1 for the last five years combined.
  • Boxplots of GRE Q and GRE V for people who reported both scores.
  • Histogram of GPAs (from 2.5 to 4.0 with 0.1 step).

https://www.reddit.com/r/gradadmissions/comments/7srxxy/decision_timelines_for_particular_universities/

Brilliant!

To the person who got accepted to the University of Pittsburgh's Cognitive Psych program, did you interview in-person or over Skype? Did it seem like other POIs/programs had also decided on their acceptances? Also congratulations! 

9 hours ago, corbeau said:

To the person who got accepted to the University of Pittsburgh's Cognitive Psych program, did you interview in-person or over Skype? Did it seem like other POIs/programs had also decided on their acceptances? Also congratulations! 

Hi there! Thank you!! I got your PM also; sorry for the delayed response!

I interviewed at Pitt in-person this past weekend (cognitive) and the weekend before (developmental and clinical). I'm not sure if other POIs/programs also decided on their acceptances, but my POI (who is in dev and cog) said that the faculty in each program would meet sometime the week after each interview day to discuss applicants. I'm not sure if the clinical faculty work the same, but it's very possible? I hope this helps! Best of luck :) 

Has anyone heard from UNC - Chapel Hill since the interview? Or know the process at UNC? I am applying to the Developmental Psych Program, but any insights on the Psych Department as a whole would be appreciated!

3 hours ago, Becks_Psych said:

I've received 3...THREE...rejection emails from the same school in a 2 1/2 week period. Like, I get it. I'm rejected. Please no more emails. 

haha

3 hours ago, Becks_Psych said:

I've received 3...THREE...rejection emails from the same school in a 2 1/2 week period. Like, I get it. I'm rejected. Please no more emails. 

In case I missed the message, they followed up with a snail mail rejection as well. 

8 minutes ago, Becks_Psych said:

Oh, lovely. I'll keep an eye out for that extra letter to come. 

Really tempted to show up to orientation day.  “Oh, I was NOT accepted?? You were very unclear about that, so I figured I should show up just in case.” 

(Sorry about the school though. Hope you’re finding better luck elsewhere!)

Edited by kitcassidance

Hi- 

Does anyone know how to interpret this situation? Two people (including me) were interviewed for a specific POI at a PhD Pysch program. The other person was accepted, and I was sent an email from POI saying that they are waiting to hear how many slots they will have. The other person will not be accepting the offer. I've been told it is still possible that they will have to wait to hear back from all students (across the dept.) who were given offers, and that if this person chooses not to go, it does not necessarily guarantee me the slot. I was wondering if anyone else has been in this situation or has heard of this situation. Does anyone have an idea of how likely it is that I could gain admission?

On 4/19/2017 at 5:43 PM, Becks_Psych said:

Did you try or have you heard anything about the online Kaplan courses? I'm in-between Magoosh and Kaplan. 

I think Kaplan is decent for Verbal section but it is very simple for quantitative section of the GRE. If you are new to the topics in math you can start with Kaplan, but never confine yourself to Kaplan before taking the real exam.

18 hours ago, Hopeful22 said:

Hi- 

Does anyone know how to interpret this situation? Two people (including me) were interviewed for a specific POI at a PhD Pysch program. The other person was accepted, and I was sent an email from POI saying that they are waiting to hear how many slots they will have. The other person will not be accepting the offer. I've been told it is still possible that they will have to wait to hear back from all students (across the dept.) who were given offers, and that if this person chooses not to go, it does not necessarily guarantee me the slot. I was wondering if anyone else has been in this situation or has heard of this situation. Does anyone have an idea of how likely it is that I could gain admission?

That situation is common where funding comes from a fellowship from the grad school or the department (as opposed to the individual PI). So whether a PI gets a 'slot' is dependent on other people. No way to tell how likely it is that you'll gain admission. 

Currently waiting to hear back from two programs where I’m pre-interview waitlisted and both told me they would get back to me once people starting opting for other schools. I hate that. I hate that my future hangs in a distance while someone else has choices :/ I also wish I was smarter. Lol Anyways, what are the chances I’ll get off the waiting list and into an interview at this point? 

On 3/3/2018 at 1:12 PM, LolJustAdmitMe said:

Currently waiting to hear back from two programs where I’m pre-interview waitlisted and both told me they would get back to me once people starting opting for other schools. I hate that. I hate that my future hangs in a distance while someone else has choices :/ I also wish I was smarter. Lol Anyways, what are the chances I’ll get off the waiting list and into an interview at this point? 

Kinda of the same situation here, pre-interview waitlisted for one top choice program, and just went to an open house day and interviewed there with 3 faculty members in my safe school program. Waiting on both programs decision. Would like to know what are the odds on getting accepted from a pre-interviewed waitlist at this point of the application cycle. 

Edited by georginazhou

So all my rejection letters are officially coming in from schools. I have even recieved THREE from one. I’m like don’t worry I got the hint lol. But, I will be attended my number one choice Texas Tech counseling program, so the rejections I am receiving now I’m not even opening :P

Hello everyone!

I'm late to the party but stoked to find this thread. Figured I'd post my luck in the area of Behavioral Neuroscience and see if it helps any of you/if any of you can help me:

1) NIH GPP - Rejected 2/2

2) Wayne State - Interviewed 2/23, Accepted 2/28

3) Miami University - Interviewed 12/11, Accepted 12/22

4) Pittsburgh - Rejected 2/26

5) Brandeis - Waitlisted (?) 2/8 - received an email asking if I'd also like to be considered for their masters program & have heard nothing else since (thoughts?)

6) UC Boulder - Rejected 2/19

7) UMass Boston - Interviewed 2/9

I'm very torn between Wayne & Miami - any insight would be most welcome. I would like to make my decision as soon as possible so that anyone who may be on a waitlist for either program can take the place I vacate. 

Cheers!

5 hours ago, Synappy said:

Hello everyone!

I'm late to the party but stoked to find this thread. Figured I'd post my luck in the area of Behavioral Neuroscience and see if it helps any of you/if any of you can help me:

5) Brandeis - Waitlisted (?) 2/8 - received an email asking if I'd also like to be considered for their masters program & have heard nothing else since (thoughts?)

I'm very torn between Wayne & Miami - any insight would be most welcome. I would like to make my decision as soon as possible so that anyone who may be on a waitlist for either program can take the place I vacate. 

Cheers!

What's your area of interest research wise? I'm a behavioral neuro person too. Of the schools you applied to, I only share UC Boulder and I got rejected from them as well. 

Hello! First time poster :) Does anyone know what it means to not have heard anything from a school yet? I've gotten some interviews and some non-interview rejections, but some of my top schools haven't sent either yet...I'm assuming rejections?  

15 hours ago, Synappy said:

Hello everyone!

Cheers!

hey there - I've heard great things from Miami, if you're torn, then maybe look at which program is stronger in the field you want to study.

17 hours ago, cindyboop said:

What's your area of interest research wise? I'm a behavioral neuro person too. Of the schools you applied to, I only share UC Boulder and I got rejected from them as well. 

It spans a variety of things from neurodegenerative diseases to pharmaceutical evaluation. I'm hoping further education will help me narrow it down. Currently I'm examining the long-term effects of early-life administration of antipsychotic medications. At Miami I'd be working on an early-life stress model of PTSD, and at Wayne the impact of prenatal drug exposure. Yourself?

On 31/01/2018 at 2:44 AM, peter45 said:

No!! My invite letter said they'd let me know by the end of this month, so they should be telling us soon, right?!

Has anyone heard back from CCNY - City College post interview? Getting nervous