Grad School Applications and Weight Gain

yinyangwriter

I had to cut out exercise to make time for grad school applications. Add to that all the stress of applying and I've never been heavier (not morbid mind you, just plain 'ol fat). I just calculated that if I lost just one pound a week from now until I start grad school then I should be in pretty good shape but I was wondering if anyone else is finding their pants a little bit of a tight fit after the months of work put into applications? Of course, this cold weather isn't encouraging me to return to my previous active lifestyle either. :-( How has everyone else managed in balancing apps and health?

I had to cut out exercise to make time for grad school applications. Add to that all the stress of applying and I've never been heavier (not morbid mind you, just plain 'ol fat). I just calculated that if I lost just one pound a week from now until I start grad school then I should be in pretty good shape but I was wondering if anyone else is finding their pants a little bit of a tight fit after the months of work put into applications? Of course, this cold weather isn't encouraging me to return to my previous active lifestyle either. :-( How has everyone else managed in balancing apps and health?

Well, loosing weight before you start grad school is all well and good. Loosing weight or maintaining your weight while in grad school can be quite difficult. Making time for exercise during grad school can be just as difficult or more so than making time while applying.

Well, loosing weight before you start grad school is all well and good. Loosing weight or maintaining your weight while in grad school can be quite difficult. Making time for exercise during grad school can be just as difficult or more so than making time while applying.

I have the opposite happen during stressful situations--I loose weight. The anxiety upsets my stomach so much I have trouble eating.

And, re: above, during my MA exercise was a welcome relief from the computer, so I didn't have too much trouble fitting it in.

Judging from my colleagues, during my MA, alcohol would be the major obstacle to ones waistline. Seem grad school and alcohol go together; they were big drinkers!

I have the opposite happen during stressful situations--I loose weight. The anxiety upsets my stomach so much I have trouble eating.

And, re: above, during my MA exercise was a welcome relief from the computer, so I didn't have too much trouble fitting it in.

Judging from my colleagues, during my MA, alcohol would be the major obstacle to ones waistline. Seem grad school and alcohol go together; they were big drinkers!

I'd say lack of time to prepare healthy meals (particularly breakfasts and lunches) and the resulting consumption of convenience food or fast food, along with a lack of time to devote to serious exercise has been the problem among my colleagues.

I've found that joining Weight Watchers helps, its absolutely terrible because you can't eat anything but it does work. However, I'm debating the benefit of being thin over the awful depression that comes with not being able to eat when you're hungry and eat what you want. I'm doing it because I paid for it but honestly I can't wait to get off of it, I was never really heavy anyway. I've also heard of people losing a lot of weight because of stress and not eating, I wish it were that easy.

You mean it is not normal to go out in a snowstorm, on slippery roads to get twinkies and burgers from BK?

I have been dealing with the same issue -- I tend to seek comfort in food. And the stress of waiting just makes me reach for that extra hamburger.

Worse still, I am not a shabby cook and to burn off the obsessive energy of waiting, I cook and cook a lot. So, I currently have a chocolate frosting glazed layered chocolate cake, some almond milk caramel pudding, lots of coconut macaroons, and meat in my fridge.

The only cheery spot in the whole situation is that somehow my boyfriend is pleased as a punch whenever he opens the refrigerator for a snack. And I add to my list of obsession by standing on the weighing scale and debating whether to blame it on the faulty measurement of the scale.

Does Weight Watchers really help? I know they have tremendous appeal - but how food-deprived do you end up feeling on joining Weight Watchers?

Does Weight Watchers really help? I know they have tremendous appeal - but how food-deprived do you end up feeling on joining Weight Watchers?

I think it does, I've only been on it for about a week and a half and I've lost about 4 pounds so far. I'm only trying to lose about 20 (trying to get down to 125) but I don't know if thats going to be possible with my body frame. I did it because my friends were doing it and it does help you become conscious of what you're eating and make healthier choices. You get a certain number of "points" every day and each food you each is worth different points. I have to say, I've been pretty miserable doing it. I've always eaten terribly my whole life, it wasn't uncommon for me to eat an entire pizza several times a week and I never thought about health when I was stuffing my face at all hours of the day (and night). At times I've been so frustrated and angry on this Weight Watchers thing because all I want to do is eat pizza but I can't because its too many points. I mean I could eat it but then I wouldn't be able to eat anything for the rest of the day. So in short, yes it does work and it does help you develop better habits but it is horrible being hungry and food-deprived all the time. The real motivation for me is that I paid for it already so I'm forcing myself to do it, but I realize that its really unrealistic for me to keep doing this my whole life and once my 3 month membership is up I'll probably gain back the weight.. oh well.

Yo, seriously! I thought it was just me!!! I did 15 pounds in, like, 72 hours or something. LOL I just went and reconnected with my kickboxing trainer and doctor TODAY. This is ridiculous. I can only fit one pair of jeans.

After some thinking I realized that for me the lethal equation has been:

Coffee drinks + late nights with subsequent late night eating + drowning fear of rejection in carbs + wine, lots and lots of wine = FAT AZZ.

Edited by coyabean

I'd say lack of time to prepare healthy meals (particularly breakfasts and lunches) and the resulting consumption of convenience food or fast food, along with a lack of time to devote to serious exercise has been the problem among my colleagues.

In that sense, yes, you're right. People liked to go out and eat a lot. Drinking, on top of that, leads to more poor food choices.

I realized two or three weeks ago that I had the same problem as the OP... Cursed stress-eating! So I've been dieting and exercising like mad since then, and I've lost fifteen pounds since about mid-January. So, yeah, you're not the only one who's transitioning from the applying to grad project to the losing weight project.

It's all about coming up with a routine and sticking to it. For me, that meant signing up for a fitness class that I enjoy (capoeira) that meets twice a week for two hours. I also try to go one additional time per week but usually don't make it because it's on a drop-in basis so I haven't lost the money yet if I don't go. I find exercise to be more sustainable than something like Weight Watchers...

Now that I am done with applications and waiting to hear from places, I've been losing weight because I've been running to clear my mind of frantic thoughts and to ease my anxiety from this stressful process. I've actually signed up to run in my first marathon because I found myself running further and further with each run.

I like to bake cakes as a stress reliever. Between fretting about completing apps last fall and anxiety about results this semester, I've gained a few pounds. So has my husband. And my students. And my co-workers...

All the sitting has flattened by butt into a pancake! (Three years of law school didn't help...) I gained 20 lbs between Halloween and New Year's!!!!!!! (And I was SKINNY! UGH!!!)

I'm hoping once I'm esconced in my program, I'll lay off the sauce and get off my bum again!

I generally go to the gym 4-5 times per week for weight lifting, but I haven't been at all in the past 2 weeks because I've either been checking my email or sleeping. The way I see it, if you spend your idle time sleeping, you're not worrying about your email...

I have put on a few extra lbs since Christmas, but being a 6'4 male, it really isn't that big of a deal. I look pretty much the same at 180 as I do at 200 (with clothes on, mind you).

So help me if I get across the board rejections, Ben and Jerry's won't know what hit them... haha

I've been eating my feelings a lot. That rejection from Yale was most of a sleeve of Oreos, but I stepped on the scale a few days ago and realized that I've gained 5 pounds and was inching back up to the heaviest I've been (which still isn't very heavy, but 10-15 lbs more than I should weigh at my height), so I now limit my Oreo intake (hey, I still need comfort from SOMEWHERE) and try to eat apples or carrots or something instead. I recommend the sliced apples from Costco--they're pretty good. I also started a yoga class and that's helping me tone up.

I've found that joining Weight Watchers helps, its absolutely terrible because you can't eat anything but it does work. However, I'm debating the benefit of being thin over the awful depression that comes with not being able to eat when you're hungry and eat what you want. I'm doing it because I paid for it but honestly I can't wait to get off of it, I was never really heavy anyway. I've also heard of people losing a lot of weight because of stress and not eating, I wish it were that easy.

You're clearly not doing Weight Watchers correctly if you're feeling food deprived. It's about eating healthier (fruits and veggies, lean meats, etc), not eating less.

That being said, I understand if it's harder to get healthy food (which tends to be more expensive) while in grad school. That's one of my big worries.

You're clearly not doing Weight Watchers correctly if you're feeling food deprived. It's about eating healthier (fruits and veggies, lean meats, etc), not eating less.

That being said, I understand if it's harder to get healthy food (which tends to be more expensive) while in grad school. That's one of my big worries.

Haha don't worry I'm doing it correctly, its just that my idea of feeling food deprived is not being able to eat a whole pizza every day! My eating habits up until this point have been atrocious I just ate everything in sight all the time, its a miracle I'm not as big as a house! I think it helps with just being aware of what you're eating and trying to eat healthier things which I am in desperate need of. I totally feel the difficulty of getting my hands on healthy food though. Especially with the recent storms I haven't been able to get to the grocery store and I find myself wandering around the apartment looking for an old piece of cheese to nibble on wink.gif

I've been eating my feelings a lot. That rejection from Yale was most of a sleeve of Oreos, but I stepped on the scale a few days ago and realized that I've gained 5 pounds and was inching back up to the heaviest I've been (which still isn't very heavy, but 10-15 lbs more than I should weigh at my height), so I now limit my Oreo intake (hey, I still need comfort from SOMEWHERE) and try to eat apples or carrots or something instead. I recommend the sliced apples from Costco--they're pretty good. I also started a yoga class and that's helping me tone up.

TOTALLY feel ya on stress eating. But for me it's PB & banana sandwiches and prunes (I know, absolutely gross. I'm like a 60 year-old pregnant fart.) I hate feeling useless and dumb and schlumpy (this is a word I just invented - it's perfect, eh?). WHY DON'T SCHOOLS JUST WANT MEEEEE?!?!?!

Prayer to the Gradmissions Gods: if you let me in somewhere, anywhere, I will trot my fat ass off to sign up for a marathon!

Er, half-marathon. Ok, just some sort of physical activity. BUT STILL.

TOTALLY feel ya on stress eating. But for me it's PB & banana sandwiches and prunes (I know, absolutely gross. I'm like a 60 year-old pregnant fart.) I hate feeling useless and dumb and schlumpy (this is a word I just invented - it's perfect, eh?). WHY DON'T SCHOOLS JUST WANT MEEEEE?!?!?!

Prayer to the Gradmissions Gods: if you let me in somewhere, anywhere, I will trot my fat ass off to sign up for a marathon!

Er, half-marathon. Ok, just some sort of physical activity. BUT STILL.

Hilarious. Thank you for the best laughing all day. I dont' know why but "60 year-old pregnant fart" is just bust-up laughing funny. :D Sigh. I needed that.

Usually I am very conscious of what I'm eaitng. But goodness, only just this past month I'm turning to food for comfort! I can't seem to stop craving for anything peanut butter/chocolate combo (like peanut butter-chocolate cookie bars, Reese's PBCs). It's nuts but I try to limit THAT to about two or three times a week. And well, some form of chocolate the other nights... And I've been eating a bit more "Italian" than usual because I had leftover pizzas from Super Bowl and brought home a 3/4 of a pan of lasgana from a student org meeting the other night... And I received a couple of very interesting recipes from SeriousEats (I do LOVE to cook/bake) that I want to try...

I do sincerely wish I had more money to keep cooking and feeding my roommates. But they love to cook as stress reliever as well. *sigh* I think I might just battle with my mother in the kitchen for cooking time when I go home for my break in a week.

As for WW, I was on it last year. It DOES work. I also worked with a therapist at the same time. You need to sit down and only and ONLY pay attention to the food you're eating. Smell it. Savor it. Taste every bite. Stop just as you start to feel full. It's about mindful eating. When I wanted an entree that was more than 5 points, I often supplemented the meal with salads or veggies (I love veggies) and just cut out the carbs. I've also found adding spices for a kick to be helpful in curbing my eating.

I just have to remember nowadays that I am not eating like the way I used to (except for the past few weeks :P). It's really hard but it'll pay off if you just put some mental energy into it!

As for exercise, I'm feeling a bit of opposite effect. I'm thankful that I have a 10 mile race in April with a goal of beating a family member to keep me motivated and in training. Otherwise, I wouldn't probably get out of bed most mornings to run before class.

Does anybody else think it's cruel that Girl Scout cookies just got delivered this week? As if I needed more temptation!

*groans* Yes! I can eat an entire sleeve. But $3.50 for a box? I just wait until my mother buys some from someone or get them from my little cousin.