2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

16 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

I'm starting to which that I would have applied to more schools in the 30-40 range. 

Yesterday, I was looking at schools in the 70-80 range because I was really anxious about my chances but today I got some good news from 2 different schools. As far as I know, you @deutsch1997bw have a strong profile and I believe that you will get some great offers. We all just need a little more patience I guess.

Edited by izmir

3 minutes ago, izmir said:

Yesterday, I was looking at schools in the 70-80 range because I was really anxious about my chances but today I got some good news from 2 different schools. As far as I know, you @deutsch1997bw have a strong profile and I believe that you will get some great offers. We all just need a little more patience I guess.

Thanks! This whole process is a giant test of one's patience!

21 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

I'm starting to wonder whether I would have applied to more schools in the 30-40 range. 

FWIW, more than one of my professors basically told me that if you have any interest in a reasonable post-PhD job, it's top 10 or bust.  One of them even straight told up if I didn't get into a top 10 school, I shouldn't go to any lower ranked school; I should work on my CV, rather than trying to make a career out of a [redacted] PhD.

That prof is somewhat of a drama llama, but tbh, looking at placements/PSR, he doesn't seem that wrong.  Even at the ~15 level, placements start looking worse.  I applied to [redacted] because a prof there asked me to, but I'm...  not sure I'll go if admitted.

2 minutes ago, styliane said:

FWIW, more than one of my professors basically told me that if you have any interest in a reasonable post-PhD job, it's top 10 or bust.  One of them even straight told up if I didn't get into a top 10 school, I shouldn't go to any lower ranked school; I should work on my CV, rather than trying to make a career out of a [redacted] PhD.

That prof is somewhat of a drama llama, but tbh, looking at placements/PSR, he doesn't seem that wrong.  Even at the ~15 level, placements start looking worse.  I applied to [redacted] because a prof there asked me to, but I'm...  not sure I'll go if admitted.

I was being dramatic/sarcastic. I know how brutal the market is, etc., etc. But, I think the only top 10 thing might be a bit extreme. My goal is a top 20 program.

17 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

I was being dramatic/sarcastic. I know how brutal the market is, etc., etc. But, I think the only top 10 thing might be a bit extreme. My goal is a top 20 program.

Yeah, top 20 seems fair.

[comment redacted for identifying information]

Edited by styliane

Yeah, top 20 seems fair.

Drama llama prof went to a T5 program and apparently struggled to get a job, so he's definitely projecting somewhat.  I applied to 8 schools in the top 10, and three in the top 20.

(And, tbh, my undergrad + grad degrees are in a field with much worse placement, so my sympathy for "the market is so bad" is limited.  otoh, my prior field has a much more robust non-academic market.)

Interesting. Hopefully 6-7 years from now the CP market is good! Your field is CP, right?

1 hour ago, buckinghamubadger said:

Also, what subfield are you in?

I'm in IR, and I unfortunately have no idea regarding your questions about the amount of people they're interviewing or when the results come out, sorry!

11 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

Interesting. Hopefully 6-7 years from now the CP market is good! Your field is CP, right?

I'm a weird mix of CP/IR/methods.

[check your PMs for the rest of my comments; I realized I don't want to identify myself that much because I've already identified my school]

Edited by styliane

I know what was said about the top 10 thing, but I think the reality probably shows that hustle will outperform where you went to school fairly consistently. It's just that those who tend to have the highest drive are more likely to end up at the top 10, and therefore more likely to get placed. I stuck with top 40 just because at some point, you do start to sacrifice good professors in the field if you go below a certain point. I stayed out of the top 10 because so many people apply that it becomes a crapshoot. Any little thing can ding you. GRE not being exceptional. Not having research experience. I tried to be economical and reasonable in my approach to where I applied. I'd be fine with any of the 4 schools I applied to because I know I'd put forth maximum effort and feel confident I could produce results in any of those institutions. Wouldn't have applied otherwise.

Be confident in the course you took. You did the research. You spent the money. You executed a plan. No need to second guess it. After the results are in you can assess.

4 minutes ago, JMCrawfordNJ said:

I know what was said about the top 10 thing, but I think the reality probably shows that hustle will outperform where you went to school fairly consistently. It's just that those who tend to have the highest drive are more likely to end up at the top 10, and therefore more likely to get placed. I stuck with top 40 just because at some point, you do start to sacrifice good professors in the field if you go below a certain point. I stayed out of the top 10 because so many people apply that it becomes a crapshoot. Any little thing can ding you. GRE not being exceptional. Not having research experience. I tried to be economical and reasonable in my approach to where I applied. I'd be fine with any of the 4 schools I applied to because I know I'd put forth maximum effort and feel confident I could produce results in any of those institutions. Wouldn't have applied otherwise.

Be confident in the course you took. You did the research. You spent the money. You executed a plan. No need to second guess it. After the results are in you can assess.

All of the institutions that you've applied to are really excellent. I applied to Northwestern, too. While my quant GRE score isn't exactly high, it meets the Department's minimum. I'm hoping that fit with the faculty carries me through!

3 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

All of the institutions that you've applied to are really excellent. I applied to Northwestern, too. While my quant GRE score isn't exactly high, it meets the Department's minimum. I'm hoping that fit with the faculty carries me through!

No doubt. My quant I would say is outright low at 153. And the verbal isn't much better at 160. But I simply didn't have the credit limit to go taking it again (let alone the actual money to afford it). I'm barely hitting the minimums listed on the site for Northwestern. I know the GRE is a weak spot in my application but hopefully as long as I made it past the initial cut, the rest of the application will stand out enough. If things go for the worst this application season for me, I just take it as an expensive lesson learn for the next round when 2018-2019 rolls around and I apply again.

5 minutes ago, JMCrawfordNJ said:

No doubt. My quant I would say is outright low at 153. And the verbal isn't much better at 160. But I simply didn't have the credit limit to go taking it again (let alone the actual money to afford it). I'm barely hitting the minimums listed on the site for Northwestern. I know the GRE is a weak spot in my application but hopefully as long as I made it past the initial cut, the rest of the application will stand out enough. 

The Department's website states that 148Q/160V are the minimum scores. Do you think all those at or above those minimums made it past the first cut?

3 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

The Department's website states that 148Q/160V are the minimum scores. Do you think all those at or above those minimums made it past the first cut?

I'd like to think so. I probably wouldn't have applied if I didn't think that was the case. 

33 minutes ago, styliane said:

Yeah, top 20 seems fair.

[comment redacted for identifying information]

Out of mere curiosity, where exactly is this line that separates the 'top 20' from what are not? I mean, if we follow the US news ranking, Emory is #24 and NU is #23 while Upenn, WUSTL, UT and Cornell are #19 but can we affirm that the latter are the better than the former? If we follow the somewhat outdated NRC ranking which is posted on this thread, MIT is #21 while Illinois, Indiana, and TAMU which are out of T20 in US news ranking are in T20. I mean, I understand that Princeton or Yale would be firmly better than the most of the schools except the 'presitigious' few, but where would be the exact line between the 'worthy' school and not?

Edited by sfirus93

3 minutes ago, sfirus93 said:

Out of mere curiosity, where exactly is this line that separates the 'top 20' from what are not? I mean, if we follow the US news ranking, Emory is #24 and NU is #23 while Upenn, WUSTL, UT and Cornell are #19 but can we affirm that the latter are the better than the former? If we follow the somewhat outdated NRC ranking which is posted on this thread, MIT is #21 while Illinois, Indiana, and TAMU which are out of T20 in US news ranking are in T20. I mean, I understand that Princeton or Yale would be firmly better than the most of the school except few, but where would be the exact line between the 'worthy' school and not?

I also looked at it like this which is why my "top 10" exclusion was really more like the big name top 5-6 schools that will get slammed with applications. Also why I gave some wiggle room out to the top 40 because some of those programs might be really good at a specific subfield that I'm interested in. Like if I limited to top 20 US News ranking, I probably would have only applied to 2 schools. I wanted to apply to a minimum of 5, but 4 was all I came up with when looking for a good fit for my interests. That's how it goes.

5 minutes ago, sfirus93 said:

Out of mere curiosity, where exactly is this line that separates the 'top 20' from what are not? I mean, if we follow the US news ranking, Emory is #24 and NU is #23 while Upenn, WUSTL, UT and Cornell are #19 but can we affirm that the latter are the better than the former? If we follow the somewhat outdated NRC ranking which is posted on this thread, MIT is #21 while Illinois, Indiana, and TAMU which are out of T20 in US news ranking are in T20. I mean, I understand that Princeton or Yale would be firmly better than the most of the schools except the 'presitigious' few, but where would be the exact line between the 'worthy' school and not?

As has been remarked on before, there are at least 15 schools in the top 10 and at least 30 in the top 20.

As has been remarked on before, there are at least 15 schools in the top 10 and at least 30 in the top 20.

(but my actual mostly top-10 list was determined by putting a blank piece of a paper in front of my rec letter writers and saying "you know my interests; where should I apply")

3 minutes ago, styliane said:

(but my actual mostly top-10 list was determined by putting a blank piece of a paper in front of my rec letter writers and saying "you know my interests; where should I apply")

This too. The first thing I did was get school suggestions from my rec writers. Those were the schools I researched first and gave the most weight to. But I checked out every school that was ranked top 45, minus places like princeton, stanford, harvard, etc.

5 minutes ago, JMCrawfordNJ said:

This too. The first thing I did was get school suggestions from my rec writers. Those were the schools I researched first and gave the most weight to. But I checked out every school that was ranked top 45, minus places like princeton, stanford, harvard, etc.

My method was googling the author(s) of every interesting paper I've read for the past year and noting where they work.  (that being said: Michigan didn't make my list and probably should have, so like, Mistakes Were Made.)