2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

Strongly disliking this weird purgatory. I am, however, very glad that I can check this forum after going through the circuit of checking my email and various application statuses every morning and evening. 

A few of my "reach" programs have historically earlier decision dates, and I have this ominous sense of dread in my stomach about it. The program which I think is my best fit doesn't announce until late February/early March. Anyone else in a similar boat with their school list?

@megabee, I have a few reach programs that I really love so even though I'm excited to start hearing back from some schools in the next few weeks, I feel like I'm going to be holding my breath for another six weeks or so to hear back. 

5 hours ago, megabee said:

Strongly disliking this weird purgatory. I am, however, very glad that I can check this forum after going through the circuit of checking my email and various application statuses every morning and evening. 

A few of my "reach" programs have historically earlier decision dates, and I have this ominous sense of dread in my stomach about it. The program which I think is my best fit doesn't announce until late February/early March. Anyone else in a similar boat with their school list?

I’m in a similar situation. Will probably have to wait until late Feb or mid March to hear from my top picks (for personal not academic reasons). Best of luck to you.

6 hours ago, megabee said:

Which programs do you consider to be your "reach" ones, if you don't mind sharing?

In the same boat as everyone else - excited to hear back but my top choices wont send out decisions till mid-February. In an ideal world I would get an interview or acceptance this week to hopefully ease the waiting period, just so I can know I'm going somewhere this fall, while I wait on my top choices.

Weirdly I will hear back last from my last choice school, at least according to the results timeline on gradcafe.

Hello, guys! :)
I've been reading this forum a lot and ultimately have decided to join you. I applied to Ph.D. programs in six schools (four in US and two in Canada), and now I'm eagerly anticipating the beginning of February. :) 
Meanwhile, when we should anticipate any news from the University of Washington (Seattle)?-anybody have any ideas in this regard? 

14 hours ago, megabee said:

I'm definitely in the same position as well. This waiting game can be quite anxious....

Edited by hp88

8 hours ago, deutsch1997bw said:

Which programs do you consider to be your "reach" ones, if you don't mind sharing?

Willing to name drop UNC-CH, at least. I think a few of us are waiting for results from them this week.

North Carolina is an average fit for me. Good potential advisors if I'm willing to give myself a little wiggle room on my research interests. They have good job placements, of course, and there are geographic pros and cons (I'd get to keep my car, but one of my wish list considerations is nearness to a major airport hub and UNC doesn't meet that).

Just a heads up, last year (and I believe others) UNC had a long trickling approach to admissions. The first one came real early (was a fellowship candidate) and there were a bunch of waves of admits and waiting listers, as well as tiered rejections. 

Personally, I received an acceptance two days before March 15th (didn't accept it though). 

In other words, don't expect for everyone to 'hear' from UNC like many other programs approach it.

24 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

Just a heads up, last year (and I believe others) UNC had a long trickling approach to admissions.

Thanks for the info! Yikes, not sure I'm a fan of this method. I think I'd like to know when I should be concerned about not hearing back from a school. 

Finally got around to making an account (it feels good to shed my "lurker" status). For my first post, I want to say good luck to all of you in this application cycle! May all of your anticipation and anxiety turn to acceptances and funding!

5 hours ago, Comparativist said:

Just a heads up, last year (and I believe others) UNC had a long trickling approach to admissions.

Can confirm that this is the case. I received an offer from UNC on January 12 of last year. 

UNC has a number of University-wide fellowships that have an internal deadline for departmental nominations in late January. So historically UNC makes offers to like their top 5 candidates in early-mid January, so they can nominate them for university fellowships. The rest of the decisions follow a fairly standard timeline, with offers often showing up in a batch in early February, a batch in early March (once some top candidates decline) and then occasionally people off the waitlist in April. 

Also, I'm a current UNC grad student. Feel free to message me for information on Chapel Hill/Carrboro, the program, or anything else--especially you theorists! 

6 hours ago, megabee said:

Willing to name drop UNC-CH, at least. ... They have good job placements, of course, and there are geographic pros and cons (I'd get to keep my car, but one of my wish list considerations is nearness to a major airport hub and UNC doesn't meet that).

RDU airport is no JFK, but it's only about 15-20 minutes drive from UNC, and flights tend to be pretty affordable. It's a big hub for Southwest. Also, Chapel Hill/Carrboro is a lovely place to live. :)

10 minutes ago, StrengthandHonor said:

Also, I'm a current UNC grad student. Feel free to message me for information on Chapel Hill/Carrboro, the program, or anything else--especially you theorists! 

Would you recommend UNC for a comparativist?

14 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

Would you recommend UNC for a comparativist?

I'm no expert on the comparativists here, though I know they they and Americanists dominate the department (IR and Theory students and faculty are rarer). Strengths in social movements, Latin America, and Eastern Europe/post-Soviet studies, I think. 

My (rather) uninformed opinion is that they're competitive with any other top-15, non CHYMPS school. 

3 minutes ago, StrengthandHonor said:

I'm no expert on the comparativists here, though I know they they and Americanists dominate the department (IR and Theory students and faculty are rarer). Strengths in social movements, Latin America, and Eastern Europe/post-Soviet studies, I think. 

My (rather) uninformed opinion is that they're competitive with any other top-15, non CHYMPS school. 

Thanks for the response! One of my letter writers (an Americanist and methodologist) received his PhD from UNC, for what its worth.

On 1/14/2018 at 5:26 AM, SerenityNow! said:

Anyone claiming the Ohio State and Wisconsin interviews?

Also from looking at last year's forum next week may be a busy week for non-CHYMP schools.

I didn't post mine to the board, but I just interviewed with my POI at OSU. He said the committee is meeting next week.

8 minutes ago, Cutaway said:

I didn't post mine to the board, but I just interviewed with my POI at OSU. He said the committee is meeting next week.

How did the interview go? Did you get the impression that you're likely to get accepted, or are you still in limbo?

4 hours ago, StrengthandHonor said:

RDU airport is no JFK, but it's only about 15-20 minutes drive from UNC, and flights tend to be pretty affordable. It's a big hub for Southwest.

Sadly, RDU doesn't have the flightpath/airline I'm looking for. Chapel Hill does look absolutely lovely though. The airport thing is just a wish list item. I could do without it, and it won't make or break a program for me, but it'd be nice to have.