2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

Since we're on the topic of GRE, just thought I'd share my thoughts.

I've had a strange experience with GRE scores throughout the process, I'm interested to hear if anybody feels the same. The scores I received were better than expected on test day (mid 160's V, low 160's Q, 6 AWA), but then over time I can't help but feel as if they're too low. On one hand I know there are applicants who would gladly trade scores. On the other hand I look at those with high 160's V, mid 160's Q, and 6 AWA and think I should have scored there with another week or two of hard prep. Ultimately, I think my scores are fine and will not be what keeps me out of T10/T20 (though will not help me get in either).

GRE scores are fickle in the way we attempt to have some sort of quantifiable way to rank ourselves compared to other applicants. We're told by virtually every program and the majority of past advice threads that our GRE scores are one of the least important aspects of an application, and yet they tend to stick out as one of the most tangible things to grasp to when looking at the chance of acceptance given past results. It's borderline cruel how long political science applicants have to wait compared to many of the hard science fields which found out before the holidays.

Edited by Hamb

19 hours ago, Hamb said:

Since we're on the topic of GRE, just thought I'd share my thoughts.

I've had a strange experience with GRE scores throughout the process, I'm interested to hear if anybody feels the same. The scores I received were better than expected on test day (mid 160's V, low 160's Q, 6 AWA), but then over time I can't help but feel as if they're too low. On one hand I know there are applicants who would gladly trade scores. On the other hand I look at those with high 160's V, mid 160's Q, and 6 AWA and think I should have scored there with another week or two of hard prep. Ultimately, I think my scores are fine and will not be what keeps me out of T10/T20 (though will not help me get in either).

GRE scores are fickle in the way we attempt to have some sort of quantifiable way to rank ourselves compared to other applicants. We're told by virtually every program and the majority of past advice threads that our GRE scores are one of the least important aspects of an application, and yet they tend to stick out as one of the most tangible things to grasp to when looking at the chance of acceptance given past results. It's borderline cruel how long political science applicants have to wait compared to many of the hard science fields which found out before the holidays.

I guess you're worrying about nothing. Almost everyone would gladly trade those GRE scores. If admission is granted on GRE alone, you will most likely be admitted in almost all T10 and I guess the scores do play a key role with some in T10 saying those below 160 don't need to apply in so many words.

So, it seems entirely too early to be getting results but I just noticed someone reported a Princeton admit Jan 5? Does someone want to claim this or should we chalk this one up to an eager troll?

23 minutes ago, polsgoals said:

So, it seems entirely too early to be getting results but I just noticed someone reported a Princeton admit Jan 5? Does someone want to claim this or should we chalk this one up to an eager troll?

My guess is that it is a troll. I checked at what point Princeton has announced acceptances in recent years, and never once was a decision made that early.

Yes, it has to be a troll. I am curious to know where you can check the dates that schools have announced acceptances in recent years. This would allow me to get a better sense of the timeline that I'm working with. Thanks.

25 minutes ago, Hobbesian10 said:

Yes, it has to be a troll. I am curious to know where you can check the dates that schools have announced acceptances in recent years. This would allow me to get a better sense of the timeline that I'm working with. Thanks.

Just throw the name of the University in along with Political Science and it should show.

https://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Political+Science

Alternatively, if you dig through past years versions of threads like these users typically make others aware that they received notification of their result, so you can check the date.

20 minutes ago, csantamir said:

I don't think schools will be sending out decisions until late Jan earliest.

Looking through last years thread, the earliest posts about acceptances and interview requests were during the 3rd week of January. So starting next week it's likely that results start to trickle in. Though I agree, the big wave won't start until late January!

23 minutes ago, Hamb said:

Looking through last years thread, the earliest posts about acceptances and interview requests were during the 3rd week of January. So starting next week it's likely that results start to trickle in. Though I agree, the big wave won't start until late January!

This makes me nervous! 

40 minutes ago, SerenityNow! said:

After seeing that Princeton "admit" all I can think about are my applications although I know it is totally normal that I haven't heard anything back yet....

Right. I just started the final semester of my undergraduate degree, and the thought of not getting in concerns me. I applied to an MA in Russian and East European Studies as a backup plan, so hopefully that works out.

9 hours ago, polsgoals said:

Right?! My anxiety level is epic in this post winter break application cycle purgatory ? 

6 hours ago, deutsch1997bw said:

Right. I just started the final semester of my undergraduate degree, and the thought of not getting in concerns me. I applied to an MA in Russian and East European Studies as a backup plan, so hopefully that works out.

I am in the same position folks but one thing I learned from “3 Idiots” (the movie) is that you need to lie to your heart. You need to say “All izz well” :) 

8 hours ago, SerenityNow! said:

After seeing that Princeton "admit" all I can think about are my applications although I know it is totally normal that I haven't heard anything back yet....

Same! Seeing that totally sent down the application anxiety wormhole! Shame on the posting troll...

I've been keeping anxiety at bay by ignoring it and focusing on other things. But every once and a while -- bam! My grades and scores are more than enough for my safeties, but what if I "missed the mark" elsewhere in my app?

I've avoided looking back at my SOPs. I realize I probably sent mixed signals designating American as my subfield, but expressing interest in a few IR profs' work. (My proposed research is foreign policy, so at least the connection makes sense.) I'm pretty sure I included at least one or two AP profs in each letter, but again, I'm afraid to look.

And then, there's nothing to do about the recs, but my undergrad adviser was pretty idiosyncratic. Apparently his letters are very factual ("He received [] in my class, better than []% of other students"), so they might play poorly depending on the reader. Then again, he wrote for a few classmates who got into top law schools, so w/e idk etc...

Never re-read your SOPs! That is a rabbit hole, you’ll find a missing period or typo and it will eat you up! 

I am always a little jealous of the folks who’s letter writers share their letters with them. One of my profs joked that all he writes is “X student will finish the program” and that is all the adcom really needs to know so I’m especially curious what he wrote in his letter. Although it seems like the minority of professors share their letters with their students.

59 minutes ago, SerenityNow! said:

Never re-read your SOPs! That is a rabbit hole, you’ll find a missing period or typo and it will eat you up! 

I am always a little jealous of the folks who’s letter writers share their letters with them. One of my profs joked that all he writes is “X student will finish the program” and that is all the adcom really needs to know so I’m especially curious what he wrote in his letter. Although it seems like the minority of professors share their letters with their students.

Agreed on the review point. I managed to find a minor error in my writing sample despite reading it dozens of times and having friends/family read it. How did I never catch that???

One of my LoR writers sent me the letter for review, and while I recommended no changes, it was an odd experience. I think I'm glad to have read it, as it was as nice as most of us hope, but at the same time something about reading it was strange and kind of hard to articulate.

1 hour ago, swampyankee said:

I've been keeping anxiety at bay by ignoring it and focusing on other things. But every once and a while -- bam! My grades and scores are more than enough for my safeties, but what if I "missed the mark" elsewhere in my app?

I've avoided looking back at my SOPs. I realize I probably sent mixed signals designating American as my subfield, but expressing interest in a few IR profs' work. (My proposed research is foreign policy, so at least the connection makes sense.) I'm pretty sure I included at least one or two AP profs in each letter, but again, I'm afraid to look.

And then, there's nothing to do about the recs, but my undergrad adviser was pretty idiosyncratic. Apparently his letters are very factual ("He received [] in my class, better than []% of other students"), so they might play poorly depending on the reader. Then again, he wrote for a few classmates who got into top law schools, so w/e idk etc...

I had the same regarding cross discipline professors, though I'm from a more interdisciplinary background than most. Should be interesting to see how it turns out! I can see it hurting at some schools and helping at others, so good luck!

1 hour ago, SerenityNow! said:

letter writers share their letters with them.

Regrettably, I learned about his letter-writing via illicit means, though none my own. One of those law students asked for an extra letter in a sealed envelope, and then told us about it at a college Dems party. Jerk. (Not that we weren't all curious what this odd duck prof would write.)

@Hamb I can definitely see that being a difficult situation. I'm glad none of my letter writers asked for my input beyond one of them having my write up a paragraph for each school saying why I would be a good fit so they could pull from that if they wanted to or if it was a school they knew less about.

@swampyankee that is fair - I would not want to find out about the contents of an LOR like that!

Hi, all. Congratulations on getting your applications in and all that jazz. I know now is the most difficult part -- the waiting. Try to breathe and take a break; don't think about it! I know that's easier said than done, but you likely won't be hearing back from anybody until the end of this month and into February. Remember, you've done all you can and re-reading your SoPs and other application materials won't make time go by any faster.

Hello guys, I have been shadowing this forum for awhile, reading all the valuable information you guys have posted. They have been very useful. Great to see all of you here!

I would like to share that I have received my first acceptance this season from UT Dallas for the PhD in Public Policy and Political Economy program on December 15th 2017 (Not a troll here, just sharing). (Though they did inform that GA/TA appointments are made later in March.) Therefore, I think schools actually do have variability in sending out acceptances. That being said, for the rest of the programs, I am sure the main bulk of notices will come at a later time, like how @csantamir and @Hamb has mentioned above. Fingers crossed for everyone! All the best guys. ;)

acceptance.png

Edited by hp88
Adding acceptance letter.

3 hours ago, deutsch1997bw said:

Anybody claiming the Columbia acceptance? 

Nice eye. Either Columbia is a month earlier than normal or the Princeton troll strikes again.

Nothing in my application portal has changed for Columbia, but who knows.

Edited by Hamb