2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

16 hours ago, Hamb said:

Joined a couple of you in the waiting game department today. Felt amazing to hit submit on that final one.

Good luck to everyone submitting on deadline day tomorrow!

Godspeed everyone. I've procrastinated on a few with later deadlines just because of the many due today though. Finally got all my Dec. 15ths in, but I've got a few lingering January 2nds. 

Does anyone else feel like one of their applications is a lot stronger than the others?

57 minutes ago, megabee said:

Does anyone else feel like one of their applications is a lot stronger than the others?

I feel like my applications to the University of Minnesota and Northwestern University are stronger than others. I know definitively that my quantitative GRE score is in the range necessary for admission. I'm not so sure about other programs, such as the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

@megabee I've got a few January apps to complete too.  Putting them off until winter break.  I feel like one of my apps may be stronger than the others, but probably only slightly. I only think this because its one of the schools I'm more excited about and one of my letter writers, who was on my thesis committee and thought it would be a good fit for me, is an alumni of the school.

On 12/15/2017 at 9:25 AM, megabee said:

Big time. I was surprised at how some apps came together and looked really impressive, while others felt weak. Didn't expect the level of variance I ended up seeing going into the process.

2 hours ago, not@prof_yet said:

It's been a week since most of my apps were due and one letter writer still hasn't submitted his letters yet... When should I start worrying?

Depends what you mean by worrying...

If you mean, "should I make an aggressive effort to remind them?," then definitely.

If you mean, "are my odds of admission endangered?," then probably not, though it may vary by institution. My experience in enrollment (at a SLAC and a R1) was that, so long as everything was submitted by the time committee convenes, then we didn't care. I highly doubt they're evaluating apps the Friday before Christmas. But depts sometimes set hard, internal deadlines,  so you can't be too careful... get that letter in!

23 hours ago, not@prof_yet said:

It's been a week since most of my apps were due and one letter writer still hasn't submitted his letters yet... When should I start worrying?

This happened to me twice this application cycle. Luckily, the letters were submitted a day later. I immediately contacted the departments and was told that late letters would be accepted. I also sent my letter writer an email reminding him (in a friendly way, of course) that his letter is really important to my application (he is a fairly well-known, well-connected methodologist), and encouraging him to submit his letter as soon as possible. 

I planned a vacation for Presidents Day weekend so I have something else to look forward to be February aside from decisions. So far that has helped keep this me from constantly wanting to check my email and has given me something else to talk to people about when they ask when I'm hearing back. 

Re: some applications being stronger than others - I realized that as I was prepping them and cut my list from 10 down to 5. Hopefully that was a good move! Although now seeing to many people applying to 10-15 programs is making me re-think my strategy...

Finally joined the waiting game. Letting my last LORs trickle in and dealing with some technical problems on one of my applications. Someone in an office of admissions accidentally submitted my unfinished application for me while processing a fee waiver - craziest thing to happen to me during this process. Imagine my surprise when I logged in to edit my application and saw  "You have successfully submitted your application to..."

Other than working with the political science department at that school to make sure that they get my (already completed) documents and connect them with my incomplete application, I'm finished! It's out of my hands now.

5 minutes ago, csantamir said:

PhD

Thanks. I'm really confused about their PhD program. Requirements are quite lax, not even GRE is required and TOEFL score is like 80 as compared to 110 for Polt.Sci. Do they actually offer any aid or is it just a money minting program?

Are there any regrets folks? I am kinda regretting now not taking GRE again. Feel like 4.0 in AWA will really limit my chances for getting into a T10 or a T20 school ?

Edited by izmir

59 minutes ago, izmir said:

Are there any regrets folks? I am kinda regretting now not taking GRE again. Feel like 4.0 in AWA will really limit my chances for getting into a T10 or a T20 school ?

I think outside of people with scores in the 98th percentile+ in each section, we all probably wish we had retaken it to push the scores up a few points. At this point there's no point in worrying about it though!

Edited by Hamb

Seconding the GRE comments! I also wish I hadn't been so specific in who I wanted to work with and where I wanted to apply and just blanketed any school I could make fit in the top 20. I think being too picky is going to hurt me when we start hearing back since the chance of getting into any one school is pretty low. 

3 hours ago, Hamb said:

I think outside of people with scores in the 98th percentile+ in each section, we all probably wish we had retaken it to push the scores up a few points. At this point there's no point in worrying about it though!

Yeah I know but it is good to share and let some burden off you know? ?

6 hours ago, izmir said:

Are there any regrets folks? I am kinda regretting now not taking GRE again. 

I don't regret not taking it again (I took it three times, after all) per se. I scored in the 92nd percentile on the Verbal section, and received a 6 on the AW section. My quantitative score, in contrast, is very, very low. I hope that scoring well on 2/3 sections and my quantitative methods training save me.

I do wish that I would have prepared differently for the quantitative section, however. I decided to take the test early in the Fall 2017 semester. As the semester got very busy, I was unable to devote a ton of time to studying. I should have attempted the test earlier in the summer. Doing so would have allowed me to prepare more intensely after the fact. 

I only applied to programs that absolutely fit my research interests, i.e., those that have at least two faculty working in my areas of interest.

Edited by deutsch1997bw