2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

Hi all - seeing the recent posts has left me wondering if interviews are common and something I should hope for/expect going forward. It was my understanding that political science PhD programs don't typically hold interviews.

11 minutes ago, toad1 said:

Hi all - seeing the recent posts has left me wondering if interviews are common and something I should hope for/expect going forward. It was my understanding that political science PhD programs don't typically hold interviews.

My understanding is that some applicants get interviews, while others don't. Not getting an interview does not mean that you aren't going to get accepted. 

11 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

My understanding is that some applicants get interviews, while others don't. Not getting an interview does not mean that you aren't going to get accepted. 

@deutsch1997bw Thanks, it's good to know ahead of time it wouldn't be impossible for an interview to spring up I suppose. Better safe (and prepared) than sorry.

17 minutes ago, toad1 said:

It was my understanding that political science PhD programs don't typically hold interviews.

I've also wondered about this. It seems as though some fields have interviews as an integral part of the application process, across all schools. In political science, though, some programs do interview rounds while others don't. How common are interviews for political science PhD admissions? 

7 hours ago, Sheldon2017 said:

Hello folks. What does it mean if you get an email from a department you have applied to, saying that the faculty admissions committee may request a Skype interview next week? Is it a kind of email that is automatically sent to every applicant??

One thing that I think I need to add is the email says that "this experience is not mandatory, and you will not be penalized if you choose not to or are unable to participate in a Skype meeting." Why?? I really don't get it. 

33 minutes ago, toad1 said:

While there are a fair amount of schools how seem to hold interviews, I think right now we're going to see a lot of them since schools that do hold interviews are more likely to hold them mid to late January. That way they have time to discuss the interview and overall application while making final decisions to go out in February.

I made a table of when to expect results from the programs I applied to. I want to post it just in case it gives anyone a better sense of when to expect decisions. A number of the programs I applied to seem to be popular on this forum.

Princeton- Early Feb

Michigan- Early-Mid Feb
Brandeis- Feb-March
Notre Dame- Late Feb-April
WashU- Early-Mid Feb
Missouri- Already in
Washington- Feb-March
Colorado- Jan-March
USC- Early-Mid Feb
UCI- Feb-Early March

I already have a good offer at Mizzou that sounds really nice. I'm just eager to know what else is on the table.

2 hours ago, megabee said:

I've also wondered about this. It seems as though some fields have interviews as an integral part of the application process, across all schools. In political science, though, some programs do interview rounds while others don't. How common are interviews for political science PhD admissions? 

1 hour ago, toad1 said:

I second this question... anyone have a sense?

Very rare. A few programs do it (more used to, in fact), but the vast majority do not. I can't think of any top programs that regularly interview applicants.

8 hours ago, buckinghamubadger said:

How do you know when to expect results from Princeton?

I made a table of when to expect results from the programs I applied to. I want to post it just in case it gives anyone a better sense of when to expect decisions. A number of the programs I applied to seem to be popular on this forum.

Princeton- Early Feb

Michigan- Early-Mid Feb
Brandies- Feb-March
Notre Dame- Late Feb-April
WashU- Early-Mid Feb
Missouri- Already in
Washington- Feb-March
Colorado- Jan-March
USC- Early-Mid Feb
UCI- Feb-Early March

I already have a good offer at Mizzou that sounds really nice. I'm just eager to know what else is on the table.

@megabee if you look at old threads you’ll see that only a few schools interview but that there is a high concentration of gradcafe folks that apply there. This makes it seem like everyone is being interviewed when in reality it’s just the people who applied to Wisco, OSU and maybe a few others.

Can anyone else whose applying to UT-Austin "now apply for on-campus housing" through the My Status portal?

I don't remember if I was able to do that before...or if I should read into it? 

2 minutes ago, bikakica said:

Can anyone else whose applying to UT-Austin "now apply for on-campus housing" through the My Status portal?

I just checked the application portal, and I have that option, too. I'm not sure if it was there before.

51 minutes ago, bikakica said:

49 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

I just checked the application portal, and I have that option, too. I'm not sure if it was there before.

I have this option on the portal as well; I can't be sure but I feel as though it has been there since I first logged on. Regardless, hopefully we will hear something soon!

I think for your mental health it is best to stay off the school's portals. That way every time there is a tiny change in the layout or when you can't log in due to routine maintenance you don't go into a stress spiral. Or at least that is what I have been telling myself and instead just checking my email every hour on the hour, which is obviously way healthier :P 

1 hour ago, dagnabbit said:

For UT, you will likely get an e-mail from your field chair before you see anything on the portal. Expect decisions soonish.

How soonish? :) Should we expect them this week or next week?