Prepping for the 2018 cycle!

EvelynD

So for whose who have previously applied, when did you start hearing back for interviews/results? I've looked at the results page, but was wondering what your personal experience was like! :)

@phyanth I had to cut one of my SOPs from 1400 to 1000 so I feel your pain. Ultimately I got it down to 995 and shed tears of joy haha. Don’t worry, you’ll get it. It also helps to have another pair of eyes on it to catch mistakes and extraneous wording. 

Last year when I applied, I had an interview in October and then one in December. This year, I’ve had interviews beginning mid November and had my most recent like a week ago. Brown told me that they would contact me after I submitted my application to set up a time to chat. 

35 minutes ago, Bschaefer said:

@phyanth I had to cut one of my SOPs from 1400 to 1000 so I feel your pain. Ultimately I got it down to 995 and shed tears of joy haha. Don’t worry, you’ll get it. It also helps to have another pair of eyes on it to catch mistakes and extraneous wording. 

Last year when I applied, I had an interview in October and then one in December. This year, I’ve had interviews beginning mid November and had my most recent like a week ago. Brown told me that they would contact me after I submitted my application to set up a time to chat. 

Whoaaa, so soon?? Were you already in contact with your POI? I had brief communications with most schools, but did not continue to keep up with them after they stopped responding because I didn't want to pester them during such a busy time in the semester. Were these informal interviews or invited ones after you submitted apps? 

Haha, sorry for the barrage of questions; it's my first go applying for PhD programs, so I'm not sure what to expect.

P.S. It took two  hours to shave the last 85 words off, down to exactly 1000 words. I ate half a tin of gingersnaps after that........

Edited by phyanth

1 hour ago, phyanth said:

Whoaaa, so soon?? Were you already in contact with your POI? I had brief communications with most schools, but did not continue to keep up with them after they stopped responding because I didn't want to pester them during such a busy time in the semester. Were these informal interviews or invited ones after you submitted apps? 

Haha, sorry for the barrage of questions; it's my first go applying for PhD programs, so I'm not sure what to expect.

P.S. It took two  hours to shave the last 85 words off, down to exactly 1000 words. I ate half a tin of gingersnaps after that........

No worries, yeah I contacted them and then my POIs set up interviews with me before I applied and talked about projects etc. Brown should be after since that’s what they told me. Some programs don’t interview so it’s a wide range haha

5 hours ago, phyanth said:

So for whose who have previously applied, when did you start hearing back for interviews/results? I've looked at the results page, but was wondering what your personal experience was like! :)

February through April for me 

44 minutes ago, Archaeodan said:

@Bschaefer Oh, thank you for reminding me I needed to send an email to my Brown POI. Totally forgot to do that oops

Oh cool, who are you applying to work with there? I didn’t know there was faculty with your article interest. 

9 hours ago, phyanth said:

I got my first rejection in the middle of January, first interview at the end of January, first acceptance the first week of February, and then did some more interviews/visiting weekends late February/early March.

6 minutes ago, phyanth said:

@museum_geek @Bschaefer So what you're telling me is that I can start neurotically checking on my status online beginning January, eh? :P

More or less yeah hahaha. it’s all over the place tbh so I would take a mental health break for a month and come back haha. I remember I would check it literally every 10 mins or so for an update. This, of course, was and still is not healthy ha

@Bschaefer Yeah, Brown is one that I'm hodge-podgeing together. Dr. Van Dommelen is my POI in Anthro and we're coordinating with Dr. Bathsheba Demuth from History and Dr. Yongsong Huang of Ecology to make it work. If this works, it would be kinda awesome. 

Edited by Archaeodan

@phyanth Yes, Canadian schools offer funding for PhD and MA students. Spots for international students are limited though. Generally they'll offer a tuition waiver and a slightly lower stipend, or just a stipend that will cover living expenses and tuition (which are far lower than US schools). Funding is for 3-5 years, depending on the school. TAships are often available after that time and at many schools the TAs are unionized, so you receive benefits and such.

@jamesaly okay awesome! That's good to know. Luckily, I have an able bodied husband, so he can work and support the rest of what we need while I'm in school. Do you know much about University of Victoria? That's where I'm applying, but I've never been to the area or know a whole lot about the school outside of the anth dept. 

In my mind, I keep thinking, I should hopefully get in SOMEWHERE, right? But obviously there are a TON of people who don't get in at all... So I'm both excited and concerned.. Can January get here already??

On 12/14/2017 at 10:07 AM, phyanth said:

@Bschaefer: man of sage words.

Also, does anybody know if Canadian schools offer funding like American schools do? E.g. tuition waivers and living stipend

I actually know a few Canadian schools, one of which I'm going to be applying to for my PhD eventually, that funds ALL of their students for a total of 5 years (if you're working on your PhD). So yeah, they fund the same way we do here in the States. It's tuition waivers and a good living stipend.

21 hours ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

I believe in you @EvelynD ! My recurring dreams involve cutting my hair...

Nooo,, don't do it!! The other day I woke up super happy, and halfway through my way to work I realised it was all fake :P 

I don't want Januari to be here, I remember being rejected 4 times last year so well that I almost prefer living in this Schrodingers application limbo forever. 

So, as I was working on an application for UVic, I saw that the fee to apply for international students is $150. I definitely choked on my water a little bit, and then realized that this is hopefully in CAD, haha.