Who Are You Waiting For?

Victorianna

Acceptances  

101 members have voted

1. 1. How acceptances have you received?

• More than 5
  2. 2. How many rejections have you received?

• More than 5
  3. 3. How many waitlists have you received?

• More than 5

I've got my ear to the ground at UF. I know the individual sections have met and ranked candidates, and I was under the impression that the committee was meeting as a whole this week to make final decisions. Surprisingly, however, no news has emerged. If I hear anything I'll be sure to report it.

First UF acceptance just hit the results page....anyone wanna claim it and share any ifo you might have?

PaulMcQ, Hate to tell you this, but Rutgers has already sent out their "congrats, admits!" emails. They do usually notify the last week of Feb, but this year they notified super early - in the first week of Feb. They had their prospective student day already, too. I know it's strange not to get a rejection yet, but Rutgers always waits a ridiculously long amount of time before sending rejections - I'm talking mid-to-late April here. If I were you, I'd give up on this one.

Edited by coldwarkid

PaulMcQ, Hate to tell you this, but Rutgers has already sent out their "congrats, admits!" emails. They do usually notify the last week of Feb, but this year they notified super early - in the first week of Feb. They had their prospective student day already, too. I know it's strange not to get a rejection yet, but Rutgers always waits a ridiculously long amount of time before sending rejections - I'm talking mid-to-late April here. If I were you, I'd give up on this one.

Seems like they usually don't tell you if you are waitlisted or rejected, so maybe there is still some hope for those of us who are still waiting...

I saw there were already a couple of accepts from earlier in the month from USC...has anyone heard anything from them recently? Because the admits were from two different fields I suppose I can bank under the assumption that their admits have already been notified. I just wish they would let us know so we weren't waiting forever to get confirmation of our rejections...

Has anyone heard anything about GWU? Seems pretty inactive on the boards so far...

Seems like they usually don't tell you if you are waitlisted or rejected, so maybe there is still some hope for those of us who are still waiting...

I saw there were already a couple of accepts from earlier in the month from USC...has anyone heard anything from them recently? Because the admits were from two different fields I suppose I can bank under the assumption that their admits have already been notified. I just wish they would let us know so we weren't waiting forever to get confirmation of our rejections...

Has anyone heard anything about GWU? Seems pretty inactive on the boards so far...

RE: Rutgers waitlist possibility

I wouldn't count on it. Not at all. They did not go to the waitlist last year - not enough money from the graduate school. This year doesn't appear to be much better. Honestly, people waiting to hear from Rutgers: if you did not get accepted in the first week of February, assume that you did not - and will not - get in. If you get another funded offer, take it. If you have another offer with a chance of funding on down the road, take it. If you got into an MA program, take it. Counting on Rutgers is just not realistic at this point.

Did anyone else here apply to the joint program in Anthropology and History at Michigan? There was one acceptance put up 3 weeks back but I haven't seen anything else. In past years it seems they have notified in late-Feb/early March and I'm wondering if anyone else on here has some more recent info?

RE: Rutgers waitlist possibility

I wouldn't count on it. Not at all. They did not go to the waitlist last year - not enough money from the graduate school. This year doesn't appear to be much better. Honestly, people waiting to hear from Rutgers: if you did not get accepted in the first week of February, assume that you did not - and will not - get in. If you get another funded offer, take it. If you have another offer with a chance of funding on down the road, take it. If you got into an MA program, take it. Counting on Rutgers is just not realistic at this point.

No need to be so haughty about it...I didn't say it was a realistic possiblity, just that it WAS a possibility on the basis of what happened in past years...I counted myself out on Rutgers a long time ago, but it doesn't mean you should dash the hope of others who are still waiting.

Did anyone else here apply to the joint program in Anthropology and History at Michigan? There was one acceptance put up 3 weeks back but I haven't seen anything else. In past years it seems they have notified in late-Feb/early March and I'm wondering if anyone else on here has some more recent info?

I don't have real information about this, but I know that last year, they only had funded slots for one or two people. Perhaps things improved this year?

No need to be so haughty about it...I didn't say it was a realistic possiblity, just that it WAS a possibility on the basis of what happened in past years...I counted myself out on Rutgers a long time ago, but it doesn't mean you should dash the hope of others who are still waiting.

i don't think the poster was trying to dash anyone's dreams. i know, for me, that last year i didn't let myself get excited about my admits because i kept holding out hope that i had been waitlisted at one of my top choices. all signs pointed to negative, but i kept it alive, still looked for apartments on craigslist, tortured myself with it. when i got the rejection that i should've seen coming, not only was i bummed out, but it seemed silly to be excited about the other offers i had received weeks earlier. i never let myself enjoy it.

much easier said that done, particularly for the people still waiting for an offer, but if some people have heard yes and you haven't, cross it off. if it turns out to be an acceptance in a month or so, then you'll have a really awesome surprise. but don't torture yourself with "maybe there's still space for me," because more often than not, there isn't. i think the poster just meant, if you've got something else, enjoy that and move on.

i don't think the poster was trying to dash anyone's dreams. i know, for me, that last year i didn't let myself get excited about my admits because i kept holding out hope that i had been waitlisted at one of my top choices. all signs pointed to negative, but i kept it alive, still looked for apartments on craigslist, tortured myself with it. when i got the rejection that i should've seen coming, not only was i bummed out, but it seemed silly to be excited about the other offers i had received weeks earlier. i never let myself enjoy it.

much easier said that done, particularly for the people still waiting for an offer, but if some people have heard yes and you haven't, cross it off. if it turns out to be an acceptance in a month or so, then you'll have a really awesome surprise. but don't torture yourself with "maybe there's still space for me," because more often than not, there isn't. i think the poster just meant, if you've got something else, enjoy that and move on.

I know where you are coming from. I crossed myself off the Rutgers list a long time ago. Sometimes hope isn't realistic, but until we receive the rejection letter that's all some of us are clinging to. I've given up on that and started lining up Plan B. We'll see how it goes for all of us who are still waiting for some sort of positive affirmation...

seahistory (or anyone),

Does Michigan do waitlisting in the straight History PhD?

Thanks for info.

They did have a waitlist last year in the straight History PhD. And depending on your rank, chances of getting off the waitlist are pretty decent - my friend got off the waitlist.

Also, if you are looking at time frame, I believe they notified her of her wait-list sometime end-Feb/early-Mar.

Edited by seahistory

I mustered up courage to call Indiana yesterday. I meant to use my mother's cellphone so I can be a random caller but she had already left and taken her phone with her. So I called... not necessarily identifying myself. BUT anyway, they're still working with the Graduate School, presumbly for funding, and won't know for a few weeks more. Also, I confirmed this with a friend at Harvard who's had friends apply to Indiana and she told me that they are usually late... but not as bad as NYU!

*phew* Now I can relax some more... even though I might've killed my chances at Indiana :P

I mustered up courage to call Indiana yesterday. I meant to use my mother's cellphone so I can be a random caller but she had already left and taken her phone with her. So I called... not necessarily identifying myself. BUT anyway, they're still working with the Graduate School, presumbly for funding, and won't know for a few weeks more. Also, I confirmed this with a friend at Harvard who's had friends apply to Indiana and she told me that they are usually late... but not as bad as NYU!

*phew* Now I can relax some more... even though I might've killed my chances at Indiana :P

I'm still waiting on Maryland (supposed to make decisions this week or next), NYU, and Indiana. However, I hear word through the grapevine that two key Latin Americanists are leaving Indiana soon so that pretty much drops it from the running even if I get accepted.

I'm still waiting on Maryland (supposed to make decisions this week or next), NYU, and Indiana. However, I hear word through the grapevine that two key Latin Americanists are leaving Indiana soon so that pretty much drops it from the running even if I get accepted.

really? would you mind pm-ing me and letting me know who might leave?

I've applied to five and received no acceptances, rejections or wait lists. Has anyone heard from BU, NYU, Stony Brook, or Drew?

I got a rejection letter- hand signed- from BU on Friday. Frankly, I was really surprised. Also, if anyone is waiting on Maryland, a professor of mine who is friends with someone at Maryland said the history department had 800 applications this year.

I got a rejection letter- hand signed- from BU on Friday. Frankly, I was really surprised. Also, if anyone is waiting on Maryland, a professor of mine who is friends with someone at Maryland said the history department had 800 applications this year.

WOW!

I know it sounds crazy, right? I figured most were MA applicants from within their own system or something, because there is no way that many PhD applicants could find suitable advisors there, even if it is a pretty big program.