What to purchase before starting grad school

Hi everyone! I am wondering what I should purchase before I attend graduate school in the fall.

Attire:

I live in Texas and it does get extremely hot here most of the year. Currently I work at a very laid back clinic- most of the therapists wear jeans/sandals. I am wondering if I should invest in a couple pairs of nice slacks and purchase more business casual clothes.. or maybe wait it out and see if my school has a specific dress code (I haven't heard much from my program yet).

School supplies:

I have a MacBook Pro and I was thinking about getting binders and spirals for note taking. Do most students bring computers or take notes by hand? I also was thinking about getting a cross body bag instead of a backpack. 

Any other must have supplies that I would need as an slp grad student? ?

Therapy Materials:

I have been an slpa for 2+ years and I have so many games and materials that I have made and purchased. Would it be worthwhile to take some of these things with me, or wait and see what my clinic has to offer?

Any help/input would be awesome. I am moving 8 hours away so I want to be prepared and make sure I don't leave anything behind:)

Attire: odds are you'll have a dress code. Ours was pretty specific. Nothing could show tattoos, shoes had to be closed toe with a sock liner. I think sleeveless shirts were allowed but not spaghetti straps. No jeans. I had one externship that was casual but in clinic and all others I needed some decent slacks. 

My cohort was mostly computers or tablets for notes and a few took freehand. All our profs had PowerPoint slides or handouts so it was easy to download and type on. Nice to have all your notes together and control-f when looking for something or studying. I prefer a backpack but that's me. It's whatever works best for you. 

As for materials, that's handy you have a lot. I'd say maybe bring the handmade stuff but not the games. Your clinic should hopefully have a lot of games and materials. Unless you don't have a place to store them for after graduation because future jobs might not have materials and it's worth saving games for later. Our clinic didn't have a ton of space for us to keep stuff there, only a small crate. 

I cant think of anything else to buy. We paid for a custom name tag at the school itself. They had iPads and apps. We could print some materials there until they decided not to continue that. They had a laminator and a clinic fee covered materials used. 

I would wait until you get your dress code before buying anything. As for your materials, i brought all my stuff with me because i had no place to store it (i was also an SLPA), and it has been really helpful so far. If you can bring them, i totally would. 

Attire: I would wait.  I ended up being in a clinic where we could wear basically whatever we want except graphic Ts or open toe shoes.  I don't even have to cover my tattoos, and they are quite large.  Also, I had a different dress code for each external placement.

School supplies:

I don't use a notebook at all.  I have a laptop, a planner, and a couple folders.  Most people I know use notebooks, so it kind of just depends on your preference.

Therapy materials:

Have you not toured your clinic yet during the admissions process? I made most of my own materials rather than using my clinic's, but if I had my own games, I would bring them!  I ended up getting a lot of toys from TJ Maxx and Good Will.  

I think it's really handy to have a laminator and velcro dots.  

Edited by eggfish

As far as classroom materials go, I would do what works best for you. Don't worry about what your classmates are doing. My professors all recommend taking notes by hand instead of on a computer, but there are still a few who do. Personally I have a binder where I keep powerpoints/outlines, my notes, and assignments. I use a backpack because I have so many things to carry every day that a messenger bag would kill my shoulders. 

On 6/16/2017 at 0:14 PM, K8eCastle said:

As far as classroom materials go, I would do what works best for you. Don't worry about what your classmates are doing. My professors all recommend taking notes by hand instead of on a computer, but there are still a few who do. Personally I have a binder where I keep powerpoints/outlines, my notes, and assignments. I use a backpack because I have so many things to carry every day that a messenger bag would kill my shoulders. 

I bought a roller bag for that exact reason. Best thing I ever did for my back.

https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-K62533US-Contour-Notebook-Notebooks/dp/B0011YAOBE/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1498185126&sr=8-10&keywords=roller+bags