Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

13 hours ago, abc11 said:

Yes I heard back from them last Thursday. I applied to their PhD but admitted to MA program. I really want to go there but I am worried about funding. :( Especially because I have another really good phd offer with funding and it’s hard to make the decision. Their spring visit day is scheduled for March 19. 

Hi, I also got admission to MA program last Thursday and got an email about funding yesterday. 

"We expect to offer you a position as a Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) for the 2017-18 academic year.  Such positions provide a monthly salary of approximately $2,065.20 (pre-tax) and carry with them partial registration fee/tuition remission. Specifically, based on Academic Year 2017-18 figures, GSI positions covered $8,546 of the total new student fee/tuition of $9,404.75 per semester. The program will pay the balance of tuition and fees not covered by the GSI position."

Since I am an International student, I assume that the GSI could cover the half of the tuition and I still have to pay the other half of the nonresidents' tuition.

Besides, do you know anything about the possibility for MA students to get into Berkeley's BIostat PhD program? 

54 minutes ago, biostat18 said:

Hi, do you know the possibility for MA students to get into Berkeley's BIostat PhD program? I just got admission to Biostat MA program at Berkeley last Thursday (directly apply to MA), and I am wondering if Berkeley has something like fast-track? 

For anyone wondering about Vanderbilt:

"All applications are still under consideration, and we hope to start making final decisions in the coming weeks by mid-March."

Edited by Cal1gula

11 hours ago, Bayesian1701 said:

Not necessarily but I am not hopeful for my self personally because I literally applied there for one professor and the last PhD student of theirs I could find graduated years ago.  I tried asking if they were accepting PhD students but it’s a perfect fit so I applied anyway.  @ileeminati where you one of the acceptances and what was the interview like?

Unfortunely, it was not me. I don't think they will make me an offer based on their reactions. They mainly asked me about my upper level math and stats class. They were interested if I took a notorious hard grad stats class, which I didn't.

@SheldonCopper Waitlist offers should start coming soon.   It’s also going to depend how they structure 1st round offers.  If they take yield into account and offer more than they have spots then waitlist chances are going to be lower.  UT and Duke both admitted more than what they wanted  to do to get a target class size after yield.  However I don’t think Missouri and Virginia Tech do this so it’s going to vary.   I am trying to only hold onto one or two post visit offers, and I think other people in the same boat as me are trying to respect those on the waitlist.  It’s visit day season so people should start declining.

@jswizzle48  It should work pretty similar but I think with unfunded Masters programs it would be easier to get off a waitlist since adding another student is easier especially if it is coursework based. PhD programs may have funding limitations and require more one on one support for the dissertation.  Plus I think it’s more likely to get into multiple MS programs than multiple PhD programs.  

it seems not receiving any admission letter means rejection as we are entering March. I called some universities in California(PhD- Statistics dept) and they mentioned that they already sent out the offers two weeks ago and they wont have any wait list.

Edited by Alexg

On a related note at most  the number of unique applicants in stat/biostat  PhD programs is probably in the low thousands.  Assuming about 150 applicants on average (may be low) for around 100 programs (ballpark number based on US news) and 8 programs (may be more like 10+)  per applicant that’s about 1875 unique applicants.   But assuming an average cohort of 10 there are about 1000 spots? Do my numbers sound reasonable? Because that seems like a lot more people fail than I expected. I am just guessing here based on the programs I am familiar with.   I am guessing here. But how do my numbers sound? There are some large outliers for applications and cohort side so it’s probably pretty skewed.  

Edit: Cohort size may be more like 8.   But either way if my unique individual number is anywhere close the probability of not getting a spot is much higher than I would have thought.  

Edited by Bayesian1701