Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

14 hours ago, NumStats said:

Don't worry, I am in the same position. I might be aiming too high (No real safety school) and without a decent preparation.. We only can wait for now I guess.. Wish for the best *finger crossed*

I don’t really believe in “safety schools” anymore because so far I’ve been rejected without interview from all my safety schools, and accepted/waitlisted from my top 4. Anyways I wish you the best of luck!

Edited by abc11

27 minutes ago, Bayesian1701 said:

@BL250604  They likely have really good research experience or amazing rec letters  or connections with the department or some combination of the three.   Plus they were domestic which probably made them a little more forgiving of the GRE/GPA. Plus they could have went to UChicago or somewhere else with grade deflation (making their GPA not as bad as it seems) or have a masters from a top program.  GPA/GRE don't tell the whole story. 

Exactly what I was thinking! Would love to hear their profile if they see this, I think it'd be very informative. 

34 minutes ago, aei said:

Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from the University of Minnesota for their master's program in Biostatistics? I saw a lot of acceptances offered earlier this month, but many were applicants rejected from the PhD program. Perhaps they're waiting to hear from that group before they send out another wave of acceptances to master's applicants?

I'm still waiting too and noticed the same trend of a lot of the acceptances being offered to PhD applicants. It's March so... any day now! *nervous smile*

1 hour ago, Alexg said:

I figure out today that its not background that matters, I have good background + published papers but I didn't put that much time on gre , instead I was working on a paper to submit and add it to my CV. I got rejection and no acceptance. Today I called Notre Dame university and the professor said we rejected you because we first rank based on gre then research

Did you get official rejection from ND? Or you called then they let you know? I emailed them the other day and said that the first wave offers had been sent and I need to wait for my decision. And do you know how do they rank the GRE? Is it the total GRE or by each section?

11 minutes ago, NumStats said:

Did you get official rejection from ND? Or you called then they let you know? I emailed them the other day and said that the first wave offers had been sent and I need to wait for my decision. And do you know how do they rank the GRE? Is it the total GRE or by each section?

90 percentile on math, the professor said we admitted 7 and not likely any waiting list.

52 minutes ago, Alexg said:

90 percentile on math, the professor said we admitted 7 and not likely any waiting list.

Well I guess it's a silence rejection for me. Thanks for the info!

1 hour ago, abc11 said:

I don’t really believe in “safety schools” anymore because so far I’ve been rejected without interview from all my safety schools, and accepted/waitlisted from my top 4. Anyways I wish you the best of luck!

@abc11  Which were the schools on your list?

19 minutes ago, jswizzle48 said:

After being waitlisted by my top choice...I have only received rejection after rejection :(:(

Same page here. Not even a waitlist right now for me, just waiting faithfully. Hope you'll get some good news soon!

1 hour ago, NumStats said:

Same page here. Not even a waitlist right now for me, just waiting faithfully. Hope you'll get some good news soon!

It is extremely competitive this year, especially for international students. I think you have a pretty good chance for UC Irvine on your list.

7 minutes ago, Laoceberg said:

It is extremely competitive this year, especially for international students. I think you have a pretty good chance for UC Irvine on your list.

Yeah I figured that.. That was I thought before, I also know a professor at UC Irvine and have been in contact with him. However, I did not get the first round offer from them and I realized their department is very small and only accepts 1/2 international student(s) each year. I guess they are waiting people to decline before sending out possible second wave offer (?)

5 minutes ago, NumStats said:

Yeah I figured that.. That was I thought before, I also know a professor at UC Irvine and have been in contact with him. However, I did not get the first round offer from them and I realized their department is very small and only accepts 1/2 international student(s) each year. I guess they are waiting people to decline before sending out possible second wave offer (?)

If you are interested in Biostatistics, I think you can apply some MS in Biostatistics programs in sophas. There are still some good programs in Biostatistics still seeking master students.

1 hour ago, Laoceberg said:

If you are interested in Biostatistics, I think you can apply some MS in Biostatistics programs in sophas. There are still some good programs in Biostatistics still seeking master students.

I am highly considering Master program at this rate. Thanks for the information.

On 2/26/2018 at 11:12 PM, ducklamp said:

Was wondering if anyone has heard anything from Hopkins lately?

bumping this! seems like onsite interviews for phd applicants happened recently.

does anyone here know about the master's interviews? from the survey it looks like a few masters interviews have gone out; and last year, interviews were still getting extended in early March with decisions in mid-March. so much anticipation!

14 hours ago, ducklamp said:

bumping this! seems like onsite interviews for phd applicants happened recently.

does anyone here know about the master's interviews? from the survey it looks like a few masters interviews have gone out; and last year, interviews were still getting extended in early March with decisions in mid-March. so much anticipation!

Does Hopkins interview all strong masters applicants? Do you know what one could expect for these kinds of interviews?

17 hours ago, ducklamp said:

I am waiting on their master’s too. My guess would be they send out several waves of interviews based on how strong the applicants are

Rejected from Columbia. Went from a strong start to a disappointing finish, maybe being an international was more of a detriment than I expected. Also seems like not taking the subject GRE was a mistake. Oh well, ultimately happy with my outcome, and glad I never have to go through this process again lol.