Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

13 minutes ago, bayessays said:

What are the other schools? FSU has some good faculty, but it's also solidly mid-tier, so knowing what your other options are could help us give some perspective on the difference.  Unless you are wealthy and the money is not an issue, attending an unfunded PhD program is a bad idea when you have other options. 

I get the offer from University of South Carolina and Arizona. I think I will probably go there or wait for better school, there are still 8 schools haven't heard back.

6 hours ago, Jairo333 said:

I applied for a Stats Ph.D at University of Toronto. Apparently acceptance offers and waitlist offers have already been sent. However, my online application say it's still being reviewed. I send an e-mail asking for any news and they said I should keep waiting. Should I keep my hopes up?

@Jairo333 My status is the same as yours. I am not putting any hope in being accepted. Good luck to you.

2 hours ago, Bayesian1701 said:

@Laoceberg  I guess I overestimated the living expenses.  What's your career goal?

My first choice is to become a faculty. However, the schools where I got accepted are not that strong and I am considering to become a researcher or work for a pharmaceutical company. I am an international student and there are pretty limited opportunities for me. Basically,  I have to get into a decent school and get good publications to be competitive in the job market. So I would like to get into a competitive program even if I need to spend more money.

@Laoceberg What would you do if you couldn't get a job in the US?  If you never get funding at Florida State you probably won't be competitive for faculty jobs because you weren't funded and don't have the experiences that come with it.  In the decisions sub forum there are dozens of threads about should I accept an unfunded PhD and the answer is always no.  It’s possible even if you spend the money you won’t get a faculty job or even a pharmacy job.  Reapplying is probably your best bet.  If you are willing to self-fund a good US masters program might be a good idea and might help you get into a good PhD program.  Sure Florida State is a good program that has placed people in faculty jobs but it isn’t good enough in my opinion to justify self-funding.  

1 hour ago, Bayesian1701 said:

@Laoceberg What would you do if you couldn't get a job in the US?  If you never get funding at Florida State you probably won't be competitive for faculty jobs because you weren't funded and don't have the experiences that come with it.  In the decisions sub forum there are dozens of threads about should I accept an unfunded PhD and the answer is always no.  It’s possible even if you spend the money you won’t get a faculty job or even a pharmacy job.  Reapplying is probably your best bet.  If you are willing to self-fund a good US masters program might be a good idea and might help you get into a good PhD program.  Sure Florida State is a good program that has placed people in faculty jobs but it isn’t good enough in my opinion to justify self-funding.  

Thanks for your information. I just asked my professor and he told me pretty much the same thing. I guess I will go with my funded offer at UT Houston or South Carolina.

On 3/14/2018 at 12:42 PM, OuterEdge said:

Oops I made the assumption you were referencing Duke Biostatistics MS. If you weren't, ignore my previous reply :)

hey :) I was talking about just regular MS in Statistics. Hoping that there would be some good news around the corner 

On 3/14/2018 at 10:51 AM, bayessays said:

My initial impression was that BU is probably better but I'm really not so sure. The department isn't ranked as a stats department because it's affiliated with the math department. Eric Kolaczyk is a name I recognize in the data science world, but they have only a few professors doing stats research and a lot of probabilists.

UVa's big name is their chair Kafadar who I think used to be head of the ASA, but she's not a very active researcher. They have a couple profs who publish some papers in journals like JASA on a semi regular basis. 

My guess is that you'd have similar opportunities coming out of both places and tour decision should come down more to research fit, location, department culture etc. as I don't think there is a clear answer to which is better. 

My main problem is that I applied for UVA both engineering and statistics department and I got both, now I am comparing system engineering in UVA vs. Statistics in BU, UVA ranking is 25 and BU is 93? something, also I won't have time to go to UVA for visit just BU

17 minutes ago, Alexg said:

My main problem is that I applied for UVA both engineering and statistics department and I got both, now I am comparing system engineering in UVA vs. Statistics in BU, UVA ranking is 25 and BU is 93? something, also I won't have time to go to UVA for visit just BU

The ranking of the University as a whole should have zero impact on what graduate program you choose - that is the most meaningless criterion you could possibly use. Nobody will be more impressed because US News says that UVA is a better college than BU. 

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:25 PM, ducklamp said:

This was for biostatistics ScM. 

If you go to the mypath site, the tab on the left that was entitled "Application Status" (or something of that nature) switched to "Application Review Complete." The Application Decision is on the page after you click that tab. I checked this site multiple times yesterday and saw the decision in the early evening; the email with the decision then came this morning. Sigh... this was my first choice (by FAR) too. The sting has subsided a little and now am trying to focus upcoming visits! Best of luck:) It's not game over until you get the rejection!

Okay, yeah same program. I forget theirs is ScM.

Well, I got rejected, too. At least now I know! I have offers with partial scholarship from Duke and Washington University in St. Louis and I visit Duke next week. Wondering if I should even bother visiting St. Louis or go ahead and accept Duke's offer.

Hey, 

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but can anyone chance me / give general advice for the fall 2019 application cycle? I'm interested in applying for PhD programs. 

Stats:

Undergrad institution: Top 3 US News

Major: Statistics and Math

Overall GPA: 3.87/4.00

Quantitative GPA: 3.95/4.00 (three A-s, the rest were As) 

GRE: 170/170/ 5

Math GRE: Should I take this over the summer?

Research:

I really haven't done much statistics research up until now, but am currently working on a senior thesis (I am a junior) with a famous professor in causal inference. I'm counting on this turning out well. 

1 REU at lawrence berkeley lab doing physics research

Summers:

- 1 internship doing software engineering / data science

- REU at lawrence berkeley

- Committed to internship at top tier tech company for summer '18. Will simultaneously work on my thesis. 

Coursework: 

- 4 grad level stat/ CS courses (A, A- ,A- , the fourth one is this semester)

- All As in undergrad level stat, math, and CS classes (complex analysis, algebra, most of the undergrad stat courses that are offered)

Other relevant info:

- school teaching award for my work as a TA in 3 semesters

- award for being in the top 10% of the class

23 minutes ago, statguy123 said:

Hey, 

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but can anyone chance me / give general advice for the fall 2019 application cycle? I'm interested in applying for PhD programs. 

Stats:

Research:

I really haven't done much statistics research up until now, but am currently working on a senior thesis (I am a junior) with a famous professor in causal inference. I'm counting on this turning out well. 

Summers:

- Committed to internship at top tier tech company for summer '18. Will simultaneously work on my thesis. 

Coursework: 

- All As in undergrad level stat, math, and CS classes (complex analysis, algebra, most of the undergrad stat courses that are offered)

Other relevant info:

Hey, there's a separate thread for the Fall 2019 cycle :)

34 minutes ago, statguy123 said:

Hey, 

Stats:

Research:

Summers:

Coursework: 

Other relevant info:

If you still need to you can copy and paste that into it's own thread and then wait for the following responses: "If you are at Princeton, Harvard, Chicago with that profile, you can apply to any statistics PhD program you want to". Take the Math subject test, nail your thesis, think about your letters of recommendation and apply wherever you want.

CMU has just closed their waitlist. I have decided to go to UChicago and decline Purdue and UIUC. Best of luck to everyone! It was a stressful period of time, and now I can focus on more constructive activities.

Edited by ileeminati

10 hours ago, DJ3Sigma said:

Sigh... another week and still nothing from UFlorida and UToronto. 

UToronto already replied to me that they had sent out all PhD and PhD Direct Entry offers.

On 3/14/2018 at 3:17 PM, Jairo333 said:

I applied for a Stats Ph.D at University of Toronto. Apparently acceptance offers and waitlist offers have already been sent. However, my online application say it's still being reviewed. I send an e-mail asking for any news and they said I should keep waiting. Should I keep my hopes up?

@kelsia thanks for the reply. Though it is a bit strange that they told you this and they told @Jairo333 to keep waiting.