Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

I feel after March 15 the chance of getting admission will be about 10 percent or less unless you received an email that you are wait listed, I got 3 admissions before March 5 and 16 other applications was either rejected or under review. I called 9 under review programs this week such as Ut Austin, TAMU etc and they all sent me rejection :) its like they even didn't bother themselves for clicking on status part and change it before! Now I have 0 waiting program.

I am on the waitlist for both UW Seattle and UM Ph.D. Statistics. Request people who have better offers to please reject their offer asap so that I get the decision sooner. Thanks! Just one week to go! 

Has anyone heard from Vanderbilt Biostat PhD in terms of formal waitlist and/or rejections. My understanding that even rejections have NOT been sent out for anyone after the first wave(s) of offers following the visit day.

Edited by cakepietart

6 hours ago, cakepietart said:

Has anyone heard from Vanderbilt Biostat PhD in terms of formal waitlist and/or rejections. My understanding that even rejections have NOT been sent out for anyone after the first wave(s) of offers following the visit day.

I received nothing either. I asked them in March and was told that all applications were still under review and they planned to make final decisions at the end of March. I guess someone has received an offer.

3 hours ago, jensenabyss said:

I received nothing either. I asked them in March and was told that all applications were still under review and they planned to make final decisions at the end of March. I guess someone has received an offer.

I got the same response last month

@ other people on waitlists: Do you know if people don't make their decisions before the 15th, if we are automatically rejected or can we get accepted after April 15th?

@people still making decisions: Please formally decline schools if you have already made a choice or at least keep the waitlist in mind when thinking about when to make your decision! It affects people on the waitlist as well as the school.

On 4/9/2018 at 5:23 AM, jensenabyss said:

nothing means you still have chance, I got all rejections today means nothing left for after 15 :(

3 hours ago, asue said:

@ other people on waitlists: Do you know if people don't make their decisions before the 15th, if we are automatically rejected or can we get accepted after April 15th?

@people still making decisions: Please formally decline schools if you have already made a choice or at least keep the waitlist in mind when thinking about when to make your decision! It affects people on the waitlist as well as the school.

I'm waiting for UMich's Stats PhD...Heard from the dept that a large number of applicants have not indicated whether they would want to accept or decline their offers...So please make a decision formally if you've made your mind already. Much appreciated!

4 hours ago, ywa136 said:

I'm waiting for UMich's Stats PhD...Heard from the dept that a large number of applicants have not indicated whether they would want to accept or decline their offers...So please make a decision formally if you've made your mind already. Much appreciated!

I am also waiting for Michigan.

I really want to go to Michigan as well. It is my dream choice. Please reject your offer if you are not planning to go :(

2 hours ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

I am also waiting for Michigan.

I really want to go to Michigan as well. It is my dream choice. Please reject your offer if you are not planning to go :(

Good luck to all of us! Have you heard anything from them recently? At least whether they're going to make decisions by the April 15 deadline?

19 hours ago, asue said:

I was wondering about this too. If we can still get accepted after the official deadline?

Also is it a good idea to call the director about the waitlist so close to the deadline? I can't tell if it would seem annoying and is just better to wait? 

28 minutes ago, py123 said:

I was wondering about this too. If we can still get accepted after the official deadline?

Also is it a good idea to call the director about the waitlist so close to the deadline? I can't tell if it would seem annoying and is just better to wait? 

It could be a good idea. I called the director at a program I am waitlisted at. He said that the admissions committee had asked him to record each domestic applicant that called the department and provide that list of applicants to the admissions committee.

18 hours ago, jswizzle48 said:

I feel you! Same here...where else are you considering?

It's kind of complicated.. For statistics program, this is the only one I applied to. I've also been waitlisted at NYU's data science program and I only got an offer from Financial engineering program. What about you? 

Yes I also found out that the school I'm waitlisted for has people still deciding so any waitlist decisions will be very last minute. In terms of the deadline: is April 15th mean one has to commit before April 14th midnight or before April 15th midnight?

1 hour ago, py123 said:

Yes I also found out that the school I'm waitlisted for has people still deciding so any waitlist decisions will be very last minute. In terms of the deadline: is April 15th mean one has to commit before April 14th midnight or before April 15th midnight?

Does that mean we can get offers after April 15th? I imagine that the adcoms will get back to work on Monday and start burning through the waitlist. As to your question, I think it is before April 15th midnight. Very anxious because I am waiting on a high waitlist.

1 hour ago, py123 said:

18 minutes ago, nhn15 said:

Does that mean we can get offers after April 15th? I imagine that the adcoms will get back to work on Monday and start burning through the waitlist. As to your question, I think it is before April 15th midnight. Very anxious because I am waiting on a high waitlist.

All of my offers said sometime on 15th with times ranging from 5 pm to midnight.  

4 hours ago, nhn15 said:

The schools I am waitlisted at said that they haven't sent out offers after the deadline in the past few years. So I'm assuming the last day for most schools is April 15th. It really just comes down to the people who are still making decisions (please people please think about the waitlisted folks and formally decline offers if you've already made a decision or try to make your decisions with at least a few hours for the waitlisted folks)

31 minutes ago, boilers23 said:

Any opinions on UWisconsin Biostat v. UNC Biostat, I know UNC is technically the better program but their lack of computing is worrying me a little. 

What do you mean lack of computing? Unless you have some super niche interest that only Wisconsin offers, I don't think this is something you should be concerned about.