Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

2 hours ago, Bayesian1701 said:

I definitely disagree.  Austin has a lot of tech/business jobs if that's what you are looking for.  Dallas and Houston will also have great opportunities.   I might be a little biased as a native Texan,  but our economy is very good.  I met some of the statistics professors split between the statistics department and the business school and I had the impression that they were extremely high-quality faculty.  Their statistics program is pretty new but they have gotten good industry placements and I imagine that would hold since most of the statistics department is an extension of the older business school stats related program.  Most of the stats PhD students who want local internships can get them.  UT definitely beats Indiana in terms of local opportunities,  but it may not be as good as New York or California.

Thank you! I think in terms of location, Austin definitely beats bloomington. I'm justing trying to find a right balance of everything. but i guess no program is perfect..

Visting both of them next week and i think i might just have to go with the gut feeling...

3 hours ago, Alexg said:

For industry I do not think they have much differences, as you maybe will seek somewhere like California or New York specially Wall Street etc more for risk management and finance jobs, I am definitely  sure that the alumni relation for business school (Austin) is not high as their engineering school also its not comparable with some around schools such as tamu.

you cannot find a job easily in Austin unless you are related to music or politics :), there are lots of entry level jobs that you can find with master in Texas but job market  in Austin is totally different from Dallas or Houston. 

Thanks Alexg! You are right in the sense that if i want an industry job, i dont have to be constrained to indianan, i can always look elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Bayesian1701 said:

I definitely disagree.  Austin has a lot of tech/business jobs if that's what you are looking for.  Dallas and Houston will also have great opportunities.   I might be a little biased as a native Texan,  but our economy is very good.  I met some of the statistics professors split between the statistics department and the business school and I had the impression that they were extremely high-quality faculty.  Their statistics program is pretty new but they have gotten good industry placements and I imagine that would hold since most of the statistics department is an extension of the older business school stats related program.  Most of the stats PhD students who want local internships can get them.  UT definitely beats Indiana in terms of local opportunities,  but it may not be as good as New York or California.

I am completely confident that the number of entry level jobs in Texas are more than California and New York or DC, most of the jobs in Austin are Government jobs in statistics and they don't need PhD, IT companies maybe but in Dallas or Houston there are better chance. You should think about his long term goal not now! after 5 years when he will get his PhD, he doesnot want to start an entry level job with 60k-70k. Lots of BS and MS students can get the local opportunities and this is not a big deal. Maybe comparing the city and life style can help him better 

Edited by Alexg

On 3/25/2018 at 7:53 PM, phdhopeful1995 said:

Umich even sent out rejections for Stat master students but I still have not heard anything for PhD Stat. The only school I have not heard back yet

Same here. I am also waiting to hear from UCI and waitlist from UWashington along with PhD decision from Umich. Let's hope they clear the picture atleast this week. 

Does anyone have thoughts on Columbia's MS Biostatistics Theory and Methods track vs Yale's MS Biostatistics? Cost of attendance is very similar and this will most likely be a terminal degree for me. At the moment I'm interested in pharma or working for consulting firms.

Edited by tnb_nanashi

52 minutes ago, tnb_nanashi said:

Does anyone have thoughts on Columbia's MS Biostatistics Theory and Methods track vs Yale's MS Biostatistics? Cost of attendance is very similar and this will most likely be a terminal degree for me. At the moment I'm interested in pharma or working for consulting firms.

Probably not a huge difference.  NYC is probably a more fun place to spend a few years though.

On 3/26/2018 at 11:42 AM, bayessays said:

Probably not a huge difference.  NYC is probably a more fun place to spend a few years though.

I was just offered admission into Harvard's biostatistics program. It's a no brainer to pick Harvard, right? Thanks

1 hour ago, tnb_nanashi said:

I was just offered admission into Harvard's biostatistics program. It's a no brainer to pick Harvard, right? Thanks

Yeah probably, everything else being equal (location preference, cost).

On 3/29/2018 at 10:31 AM, jensenabyss said:

Got waitlisted by WUSTL and SMU. Anyone plans to decline offer?

Did you apply to the MASDA program at SMU?

Finally got a decision from Vandy (a rejection but hey, at least it's a decision). Time to finalize and wrap things up.

Good luck to those who are still waiting!

Edited by Cal1gula

What do people here think about CMU vs Columbia Stats PhD? I'm mostly interested in ML and both programs have faculty I'd be really interested in working with. I'm not 100% sure if I want to go into industry or academia, but I'm slightly leaning towards academia right now.

Both locations' geographies have their advantages: Pittsburgh seems much cheaper which is an important consideration for me, but I also like the big NY city environment having grown up in one myself. It also seems CMU is a slightly more prestigious program (also in terms of their CS dept), but Columbia might be a better name for positions in industry? 

If anyone has any useful input, that would be greatly appreciated! I was wondering if I should make this a separate thread, but I didn't want to contribute to the growing pile of similar threads if not many people are going to respond.

19 minutes ago, grabianco said:

What do people here think about CMU vs Columbia Stats PhD? I'm mostly interested in ML and both programs have faculty I'd be really interested in working with. I'm not 100% sure if I want to go into industry or academia, but I'm slightly leaning towards academia right now.

Both locations' geographies have their advantages: Pittsburgh seems much cheaper which is an important consideration for me, but I also like the big NY city environment having grown up in one myself. It also seems CMU is a slightly more prestigious program (also in terms of their CS dept), but Columbia might be a better name for positions in industry? 

If anyone has any useful input, that would be greatly appreciated! I was wondering if I should make this a separate thread, but I didn't want to contribute to the growing pile of similar threads if not many people are going to respond.

CMU has had many great industry placements and they're available online: http://www.stat.cmu.edu/phd/thesis

They may have fewer academic placements, but the ones that are listed are excellent. I wouldn't worry at all about your job prospects coming out of CMU especially given your interests in ML which is what they seem to be known for. I don't know much about Columbia, sorry.

Did you visit the departments and/or cities? Pittsburgh is a smaller city but is pretty charming, and people seem to like living there. That said, I don't need to tell you that NYC is a city like no other, so it really comes down to preference.

Anybody who received acceptance from NCSU Statistics Ph.D.? Did you get a mail titled NC State Statistics: Placements and Student Life somewhere around March 6th from the department? I am one of the accepted candidates there and apparently, I came to know today from the graduate coordinator that such a mail was circulated. It would be a great help if someone could direct message me the contents of the mail and any presentation that was circulated. If there have been any other updates from the department post the decision mail, please let me know the same. Thanks! 

4 hours ago, BStat said:

Anybody who received acceptance from NCSU Statistics Ph.D.? Did you get a mail titled NC State Statistics: Placements and Student Life somewhere around March 6th from the department? I am one of the accepted candidates there and apparently, I came to know today from the graduate coordinator that such a mail was circulated. It would be a great help if someone could direct message me the contents of the mail and any presentation that was circulated. If there have been any other updates from the department post the decision mail, please let me know the same. Thanks! 

hey man. Not very related to your post. But have you heard back from Michigan? I sent them an email but they did not respond me.

3 hours ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

hey man. Not very related to your post. But have you heard back from Michigan? I sent them an email but they did not respond me.

Hey. Same situation for me. No response.