Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

4 hours ago, Sheepfriend said:

Does anyone know the acceptance rate of waiting list of Purdue and GWU? Feel nervous...

George Washington, from my experience, is very good at keeping their numbers close to the vest. They also have very little funding, which contributes to their relative longer wait list.

I was bored so I did a thing. I tried out various typos/variations of "biostatistics" on the results search page and this is what I found. Potentially gives you access to more data than just searching for 'biostatistics'.

Typos

Biostaistics - 43 results

Biostatistic - 23 results

Biostatisics - 18 results

Biosatistics - 15 results

Biostatstics - 12 results

Biostatistcs - 2 results

Variations

Biostat - 24 results

Biostats - 8 results

1 hour ago, Cal1gula said:

I was bored so I did a thing. I tried out various typos/variations of "biostatistics" on the results search page and this is what I found. Potentially gives you access to more data than just searching for 'biostatistics'.

Typos

Biostaistics - 43 results

Biostatistic - 23 results

Biostatisics - 18 results

Biosatistics - 15 results

Biostatstics - 12 results

Biostatistcs - 2 results

Variations

Biostat - 24 results

Biostats - 8 results

You can avoid this issue by entering biostat*

5 hours ago, OptimisticCynic said:

For those on the CMU Statistics PhD waitlist -- any news yet?

Also, has anyone else not heard back from UMich PhD Statistics? 

I am still waiting for decision from UMich. The last time I sent them an email, they sent me a generic email telling me that I am on a waitlist and I should expect the decision by 15 April (if not sooner). 

4 hours ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

I am still waiting for decision from UMich. The last time I sent them an email, they sent me a generic email telling me that I am on a waitlist and I should expect the decision by 15 April (if not sooner). 

I am in the same shoes. Waitlist from Umich biostat PhD. 

13 hours ago, rosebud123 said:

You can avoid this issue by entering biostat*

Well, now I feel dumb for not thinking about that...-_-

"biosta*" would be slightly better as it would also include the typo "biostaistics"

15 minutes ago, jswizzle48 said:

Any word on how large the waitlist is at Duke for MS in statistics?

No idea how large the waitlist is but they're hosting a visit for admitted MS students this Friday - some movement might occur after that. I'd expect at least 1 position to free up :rolleyes:

Edited by Taheel

27 minutes ago, Taheel said:

No idea how large the waitlist is but they're hosting a visit for admitted MS students this Friday - some movement might occur after that. I'd expect at least 1 position to free up :rolleyes:

Thank you!

I made my decision.  I am not sharing it to remain anonymous. I am the process of declining my offers and removing myself off waitlists.  Best of luck to the people still waiting and deciding. 

Hello Guys, I need some insight. Which one should I choose? The operation management/decision science PhD in Kelley, or the STATISTICS Group at Risk Analysis and Decision Making Department at McCombs? If I can graduate successfully, my first option would be to go into academia and 95% of Kelley graduates become faculty. However, I am worried that in the worst case scenario (which I hope and think will not happen), that i dont finish my phd, then I will have to go into industry, then mccombs seems to be  a better option, because it's very location in austin. Bloomington is pretty and all that, but indianna is hardly the most developed state in the country. I would appreciate any insight! THANK YOU! (And also operation research from UNC Chapel hill is still kinda on the table for consideration. ) I got rejected pretty much from all the statistics programs and i applied to business schools with no hope of getting in, but i got into both of the programs i applied to... maybe even the grad schools feel like I fit into business schools better?!

Edited by dreamplscometrue

3 hours ago, dreamplscometrue said:

Hello Guys, I need some insight. Which one should I choose? The operation management/decision science PhD in Kelley, or the STATISTICS Group at Risk Analysis and Decision Making Department at McCombs? If I can graduate successfully, my first option would be to go into academia and 95% of Kelley graduates become faculty. However, I am worried that in the worst case scenario (which I hope and think will not happen), that i dont finish my phd, then I will have to go into industry, then mccombs seems to be  a better option, because it's very location in austin. Bloomington is pretty and all that, but indianna is hardly the most developed state in the country. I would appreciate any insight! THANK YOU! (And also operation research from UNC Chapel hill is still kinda on the table for consideration. ) I got rejected pretty much from all the statistics programs and i applied to business schools with no hope of getting in, but i got into both of the programs i applied to... maybe even the grad schools feel like I fit into business schools better?!

Kelly, Indiana University? definitely Kelly! better research group and ranking! more suitable for academia than McCombs

For industry I do not think they have much differences, as you maybe will seek somewhere like California or New York specially Wall Street etc more for risk management and finance jobs, I am definitely  sure that the alumni relation for business school (Austin) is not high as their engineering school also its not comparable with some around schools such as tamu.

you cannot find a job easily in Austin unless you are related to music or politics :), there are lots of entry level jobs that you can find with master in Texas but job market  in Austin is totally different from Dallas or Houston. 

Edited by Alexg
@dreamplscometrue

29 minutes ago, Alexg said:

For industry I do not think they have much differences, as you maybe will seek somewhere like California or New York specially Wall Street etc more for risk management and finance jobs, I am definitely  sure that the alumni relation for business school (Austin) is not high as their engineering school also its not comparable with some around schools such as tamu.

you cannot find a job easily in Austin unless you are related to music or politics :), there are lots of entry level jobs that you can find with master in Texas but job market  in Austin is totally different from Dallas or Houston. 

I definitely disagree.  Austin has a lot of tech/business jobs if that's what you are looking for.  Dallas and Houston will also have great opportunities.   I might be a little biased as a native Texan,  but our economy is very good.  I met some of the statistics professors split between the statistics department and the business school and I had the impression that they were extremely high-quality faculty.  Their statistics program is pretty new but they have gotten good industry placements and I imagine that would hold since most of the statistics department is an extension of the older business school stats related program.  Most of the stats PhD students who want local internships can get them.  UT definitely beats Indiana in terms of local opportunities,  but it may not be as good as New York or California.