Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

9 minutes ago, MartinJung said:

Congrats! Mine is still under review haha.. when did you submit your application and where else did you apply?

i submit mine on deadline day. i apply to ucsc, ucla, usc, ucsb. I got into ucsc but havent heard back on others, since their deadlines were like last month/this month

6 hours ago, bayessays said:

I'd suggest taking the PhD offers in your two cases. You both got into top 25 departments. The only way the MS is going to help is if you get to do substantial research your first year and improve your LORs greatly, or if you are the most amazing master's student and impress the department enough to let you into their PhD program. The coursework likely won't help that much, as grades are pretty inflated in graduate programs and you likely already have good GPAs to get into those programs. 

In the best case scenario, your MS will save you one year of coursework in your PhD program at another school, so you'll be spending longer in graduate school.  You already got into great departments, and I think there's very little upside to taking a bet that you'll somehow improve your profile enough before the next application cycle to be a candidate for top 10 schools. Unless you have strong geographical objections, take the PhD offers. 

5 hours ago, Bayesian1701 said:

Agreed with @bayessays turning down a PhD offer a top 25 for a chance at getting into another program is a bad idea.  Plus you could be burning bridges if you left your  masters program halfaway to go to another program if that is what your plan is.  Top 10 admissions are random and you may end up not doing better or possibly doing worse next cycle.  I could see you not getting readmitted because they would know that they were your safety program. 

Thanks for your thoughts! Perspectives I hadn't considered.

It is sobering to see the number of strong applicants rejected from the top programs... 

I think I'll know better once I visit the departments and gauge their interest in me. UW-Madison has some process by which MS students can move into the doctoral program, but I'm not sure how much of a sure thing it is, given good performance. 

Either way, good problems? 

Well...looks like people have started to hear back from Michigan's A.M. MS. Getting nervous now. Dream school but if I can't get it in, I have no idea what to do if I don't...anybody know the general timeframe when everybody knows their decisions?

Edited by imgonnafail
Further Questioning

8 hours ago, imgonnafail said:

Well...looks like people have started to hear back from Michigan's A.M. MS. Getting nervous now. Dream school but if I can't get it in, I have no idea what to do if I don't...anybody know the general timeframe when everybody knows their decisions?

Any word from the inside about PhD admissions at Michigan, @ileeminati ?

3 hours ago, Statsfan15 said:

@Zaphod2020 @ileeminati I am glad there are other people on here still waiting to hear back from them or I’d be freaking out even more than I already am. I just want to know what’s happening with my life! 

I am waiting for Michigan Stat Phd too. I have a letter of recommendation from a professor there, but I guess I was majoring in CS so they didn't like my profile that much.

8 hours ago, Statsfan15 said:

@Zaphod2020 @ileeminati I am glad there are other people on here still waiting to hear back from them or I’d be freaking out even more than I already am. I just want to know what’s happening with my life! 

I am waiting for Michigan's PhD too. I do not understand why they would start with the Masters decisions before finishing out a bunch of remaining PhD decisions

Anyone checked the application status of Iowa State? I found it changed into 'decision complete'' today but I didn't receive any email yet. The email I sent to ask whether I am on the waitlist receives no reply either. Am I rejected according to the application status?

Got rejection from UC Berkeley biostat... Well, I think I should decide between OSU(stat, fellowship) and NCSU(stat, TA). If anyone has thoughts on these schools or advice for me, I'd appreciate hearing it. I am still undecided on the industry vs. academia career choice, and I have interest in Bayesian methods & machine learning.

1 hour ago, DGcitizen said:

Got rejection from UC Berkeley biostat

Same here.. rejected from biostats MA program at Berkeley today (was unable to use a higher GRE score on this app that I obtained after its deadline...)

12 hours ago, Statsfan15 said:

Got my rejection letter from Michigan finally this morning. Ugh. 

12 hours ago, Zaphod2020 said:

@Statsfan15, ditto.

Best of luck to everyone else!

Sorry to hear about this. I am getting more nervous now, since I have still not received anything from Michigan yet. With your decisions out, I doubt if there are anymore people here who are waiting for UM. 

2 hours ago, DGcitizen said:

Got rejection from UC Berkeley biostat... Well, I think I should decide between OSU(stat, fellowship) and NCSU(stat, TA). If anyone has thoughts on these schools or advice for me, I'd appreciate hearing it. I am still undecided on the industry vs. academia career choice, and I have interest in Bayesian methods & machine learning.

I have the exact same choices at the moment and similar interests while I wait for few more results. Thank you @DGcitizen for posting this. I would love to here comments on these two programs to take a final decision, if it is finally a choice between the two. 

I think OSU is better for Bayesian statistics plus a fellowship is better than a TA position.  Yes, NCSU is technically higher ranked by US news but I think OSU isn’t a bad program. 

I wouldn't necessarily say OSU is better for Bayesian statistics.  It is a more Bayesian department as a % of faculty, but there are some really fantastic Bayesians at NCSU (Ghoshal and Martin come to mind). NCSU is a much larger department, so that has pros and cons that you'll want to think about. Is the fellowship for the entire time? Then it might be worth strongly considering, whereas it shouldn't be a huge factor if it's just the first year.  NCSU is hooked up to industry in the area, if you're interested in living in NC after graduation. 

10 hours ago, jensenabyss said:

Anyone checked the application status of Iowa State? I found it changed into 'decision complete'' today but I didn't receive any email yet. The email I sent to ask whether I am on the waitlist receives no reply either. Am I rejected according to the application status?

I don't know the answer to this, but I can tell you that my application status on the portal says the same thing, and I got an offer from them a bit more than a week ago. Have you tried calling? Do people do that anymore? 

1 hour ago, cannonwalker said:

I don't know the answer to this, but I can tell you that my application status on the portal says the same thing, and I got an offer from them a bit more than a week ago. Have you tried calling? Do people do that anymore? 

No I cannot call because I am an international applicant. Did your offer come after the status changing? I am really nervous now and I may lose sleep tonight :-(

3 hours ago, jensenabyss said:

No I cannot call because I am an international applicant. Did your offer come after the status changing? I am really nervous now and I may lose sleep tonight :-(

I’m not sure. I didn’t check until afterwards. I’m sorry it is stressful! I hope they get back to you soon. 

7 hours ago, DGcitizen said:

To @BStat: Oh really? Exactly same choices? What a coincidence! I am happy to find someone who is in the same boat. 

And thank you @Bayesian1701 and @bayessays for your advice. Unfortunately, the fellowship is for the first year only. It is really hard to decide... 

Yup exact same choices while I wait for few more results. But really not very positive about them. We can definitely discuss this choice in greater detail, since it will be beneficial to both of us.