Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

10 hours ago, Bayesian1701 said:

Virginia Tech gave me an official offer.  It's only one semester of funding guaranteed at $1826 a month.  I am declining it citing funding concerns (in the off chance that they might fix the problem and give me some security).  The lack of funding security and the fact that their completion rate is 30% (as reported by them)  makes me too nervous.   I am kinda offended because they acted like they were going to give me the fellowship and if they really wanted me to go there like they said they did they should have given me a more stable offer.   My other packages are multiyear and are easily renewable provided I pass quals/prelims/comps (or whatever their exam structure is) and have a reasonable GPA and are at places with over double the completion rate and at better programs.        

I completely agree with you funding is everything to me.

21 hours ago, Bayesian1701 said:

@BStat Following back up on UT Austin there are 8 people here.  So probably only a few offers left if any.  Historical yield rates are 40-45% and there could be people admitted but not attending.  

Thank you for following up on this. I had a discussion earlier this week with a professor from UT and I came to know that all the admits were rolled out, however there may be a room in case someone declines the offer, will probably get the decision by next week but probably may just marginally Miss out /get in. 

Got one offer from ncsu so far and rejections just keep coming a long. six so far and I  three other schools have sent out offers on Friday... it is so frsutrated to receive all those rejections.... (ps. I am applying for statistics phds, international student, undergrad in a small US liberal arts college). Anyone thinking about joining NCSU? I was really upset that they don't let international students to join their department visit day due to tax complications!  

30 minutes ago, dreamplscometrue said:

Anyone thinking about joining NCSU?

Definitely! I received an offer from them and one top 40 school. I believe NCSU is quite a strong department from all I've researched so far, but I'd love to here if you've got any argument against the program. Do you have doubts?

NCSU is a great program.  It’s major downside is probably its sheer size (at least for me).  They have like 170 grad students. If that doesn’t bother you they are a top program.  And if you want to do Bayesian they aren’t the best because they don’t have a lot of Bayesians (especially relative to their faculty size).   If you are dead set on Bayesian statistics it might be better to go somewhere lower ranked but better in Bayesian (ie Florida).

Edited by Bayesian1701

23 hours ago, BayesianLove said:

Definitely! I received an offer from them and one top 40 school. I believe NCSU is quite a strong department from all I've researched so far, but I'd love to here if you've got any argument against the program. Do you have doubts?

I agree with Bayesian1701Just too big. It's good in the sense that you do have more options in terms of what you do. But Im worried that you might have  to fight a big for opportunities?! i dont know. still waiting to hear back from some schools. best of luck everyone

36 minutes ago, Zaphod2020 said:

I've heard back from everyone except the University of Michigan (PhD). Have you heard anything within the department, @ileeminati?

Has anyone heard from them since their wave of rejections a few weeks ago?

I got a call from them back in December but haven't heard anything since then. I reached out to one of their administrative coordinators last week and said decisions would be coming soon. 

33 minutes ago, BayesianLove said:

Just heard back from Wisconsin Madison: out. Hope somebody here gets to hear some good news soon!

Receive 4 emails in 1 minute. Feel like I was rejected 4 times haha!

Edited by HappyDog

22 minutes ago, fdsafd said:

@abc11 

From what I have heard, a large portion of MA students at UC Berkeley are funded. If I may ask, have you already heard back from UC Berkeley? If so, did you apply directly to their MA program or to their PhD program? I am currently waiting to hear back from them for biostat. 

Yes I heard back from them last Thursday. I applied to their PhD but admitted to MA program. I really want to go there but I am worried about funding. :( Especially because I have another really good phd offer with funding and it’s hard to make the decision. Their spring visit day is scheduled for March 19. 

6 hours ago, HighlyImprobable said:

Does no email from Columbia today imply rejection? It seems from past years that Columbia sends rejections after acceptances.

Where do you see acceptances? I saw a single acceptance on the portal. Nothing more than that I guess.

10 hours ago, EmilyDamone said:

I got a call from them back in December but haven't heard anything since then. I reached out to one of their administrative coordinators last week and said decisions would be coming soon. 

Even I am waiting for UM decision. I have not heard anything yet.  I think there was a wave of accept/reject in January end or Feb beginning and then there was another wave of rejections in February. Wondering when will our decisions be rolled out

6 hours ago, HighlyImprobable said:

Does no email from Columbia today imply rejection? It seems from past years that Columbia sends rejections after acceptances.

Not necessarily but I am not hopeful for my self personally because I literally applied there for one professor and the last PhD student of theirs I could find graduated years ago.  I tried asking if they were accepting PhD students but it’s a perfect fit so I applied anyway.  @ileeminati where you one of the acceptances and what was the interview like?

13 hours ago, fdsafd said:

@abc11 

From what I have heard, a large portion of MA students at UC Berkeley are funded. If I may ask, have you already heard back from UC Berkeley? If so, did you apply directly to their MA program or to their PhD program? I am currently waiting to hear back from them for biostat. 

Hi, do you know the possibility for MA students to get into Berkeley's BIostat PhD program? I just got admission to Biostat MA program at Berkeley last Thursday (directly apply to MA), and I am wondering if Berkeley has something like fast-track?