Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

Also, I am hoping to email the UMich Biostats Prof who called me two weeks ago, and ask him about my application status for MS Biostats...

Does anyone have any suggestion whether or not this is appropriate? 

40 minutes ago, kelsia said:

Also, I am hoping to email the UMich Biostats Prof who called me two weeks ago, and ask him about my application status for MS Biostats...

When was your phone call? I was told it would be 2 weeks and the people I've talked to that were accepted had phone calls before the 6th. So I am going to just be patient for another week.

Does anyone know if the date on which you receive your letter of acceptance/rejection is dependent on the date on which you submitted your application? Also, are students with Masters degrees also competing with students with Bachelors degrees or is there some separation?

1 hour ago, kelsia said:

Well, I got a rejection letter from them today, so I think you should get your decision by next week.

Now I'm just waiting for Vanderbilt (fingers crossed!)

1 hour ago, GoPackGo89 said:

When was your phone call? I was told it would be 2 weeks and the people I've talked to that were accepted had phone calls before the 6th. So I am going to just be patient for another week.

I got a phone call from a faculty member on February 3rd, 2018. Thanks for the suggestion man!

1 hour ago, DJ3Sigma said:

Does anyone know if the date on which you receive your letter of acceptance/rejection is dependent on the date on which you submitted your application? Also, are students with Masters degrees also competing with students with Bachelors degrees or is there some separation?

I am pretty sure it is the same.

29 minutes ago, Cal1gula said:

Well, I got a rejection letter from them today, so I think you should get your decision by next week.

Now I'm just waiting for Vanderbilt (fingers crossed!)

Sorry to hear that man! Yeah good luck with Vanderbilt!!

1 hour ago, BayesianLove said:

Same here... three rejections this week, and many of the pending unis had been rolling out  acceptances for a while... One school accepted me (fully funded),  it does feel bad anyway...

Yeah I feel you. I got 2 rejections and 1 waitlist so far. No acceptance yet, still very nervous about this... 

42 minutes ago, kelsia said:

I am pretty sure it is the same.

Thanks. I just ask because I have noticed that quite a few people have been rejected and accepted by Duke and even @Bayesian1701 stated that she had been waitlisted by Duke but I have yet to hear anything from them.

2 hours ago, DJ3Sigma said:

Thanks. I just ask because I have noticed that quite a few people have been rejected and accepted by Duke and even @Bayesian1701 stated that she had been waitlisted by Duke but I have yet to hear anything from them.

That's probably rolling admission then.

I think Duke has reviewed all the applications.   My first email from them said I was in the top 15% (which implies that they reviewed all of them) and my waitlist notification implied that they had sent out offers to their first choices.   @DJ3Sigma where you interviewed?  I think they accept/waitlist basically everyone interviewed,  but reject anyone not interviewed.   

9 hours ago, Bayesian1701 said:

I think Duke has reviewed all the applications.   My first email from them said I was in the top 15% (which implies that they reviewed all of them) and my waitlist notification implied that they had sent out offers to their first choices.   @DJ3Sigma where you interviewed?  I think they accept/waitlist basically everyone interviewed,  but reject anyone not interviewed.   

I was not interviewed so I figured I had been rejected. I just found it strange that I had not heard anything yet I figured that as soon as people were wait listed rejection letters would be going out like hot cakes. Oh well thanks for the information Bayesian1701.

3 hours ago, biostat314 said:

My Michigan Biostats PhD phone call was on 2/9 and the professor told me to expect a decision at the end of February. I'm trying to not be too impatient!

Well sitting on an acceptance to Harvard should make waiting a little easier :P

2 hours ago, GoPackGo89 said:

Well sitting on an acceptance to Harvard should make waiting a little easier :P

That's true! If that's the only good news I get this cycle, I'll obviously still be thrilled. Hopefully it's the same with you and UNC!