Jump to content
EgyPsychologist

Fall 2018 I/O Psy

Recommended Posts

Hey, everyone! Hope everyone is ready for the upcoming cycle!

Program of interest: Industrial-Organizational Psychology

 

Research interests: Talent retention, military and law enforcement, high reliability organizations, selection, training and development, conflict resolution, and diversity research. Also interested in power in the workplace, as well.

 

Scores:  

Verbal GRE: 158/580     (new/old)

Quant GRE: 155/710       (new/old)

Written GRE: 5

Undergrad. GPA: 3.44

Current Grad GPA: 3.71

 

Education:

B.S. in Psychology, Minor in Communications

(current) M.Ed. in Student Personnel Administration in Higher Education

 

Research Experience:

Research Assistant with Psychology Clinical Doc Student for 1 semester

Research Intern for the Center of Housing and Community Studies for 1 semester

Graduate Research Assistant for the past two months for a doctoral student (currently)

Presentation at Guilford College LGBT Conference for Higher Ed. Officials

 

Schools looked at:

Portland State University, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, SUNY Albany, Harvard University, NC State, Michigan State University, Virginia Tech, University of Illinois Urbana-Champage, University of Maryland, Pennsylvania State University, University of Georgia

 

I am pretty stoked to apply this cycle, but I am pretty nervous. I definitely cannot afford to retake the GRE, and my undergrad GPA is a little low. I am pretty excited still!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2017 at 5:34 PM, Fitz101 said:

Hey, everyone! Hope everyone is ready for the upcoming cycle!

Program of interest: Industrial-Organizational Psychology

 

Research interests: Talent retention, military and law enforcement, high reliability organizations, selection, training and development, conflict resolution, and diversity research. Also interested in power in the workplace, as well.

 

Scores:  

Verbal GRE: 158/580     (new/old)

Quant GRE: 155/710       (new/old)

Written GRE: 5

Undergrad. GPA: 3.44

Current Grad GPA: 3.71

 

Education:

B.S. in Psychology, Minor in Communications

(current) M.Ed. in Student Personnel Administration in Higher Education

 

Research Experience:

Research Assistant with Psychology Clinical Doc Student for 1 semester

Research Intern for the Center of Housing and Community Studies for 1 semester

Graduate Research Assistant for the past two months for a doctoral student (currently)

Presentation at Guilford College LGBT Conference for Higher Ed. Officials

 

Schools looked at:

Portland State University, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, SUNY Albany, Harvard University, NC State, Michigan State University, Virginia Tech, University of Illinois Urbana-Champage, University of Maryland, Pennsylvania State University, University of Georgia

 

I am pretty stoked to apply this cycle, but I am pretty nervous. I definitely cannot afford to retake the GRE, and my undergrad GPA is a little low. I am pretty excited still!

Does Virginia Tech still have an I/O program? (It may be hearsay but I thought they were going to end it in the next few years). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Fitz101 said:

When do you all think we will start hearing back about interviews? 

one of my PIs said they ll be scheduling interviews in early January. Crossing my fingers to hear back that soon!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2017 at 2:39 PM, EgyPsychologist said:

one of my PIs said they ll be scheduling interviews in early January. Crossing my fingers to hear back that soon!!

Same. I bet most December 1st apps will respond early Jan. The mid December and early January by early Feb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2017 at 6:59 PM, Daisy0124 said:

Hey everyone!

 

I was just curious how your apps were going since Dec. 1st is creeping up on us! Where did everyone end up applying to? 

I applied to:

Penn State Ph.D

Clemson Ph.D

TU Ph.D

Uni. Oklahoma Ph.D

Rice Ph.D

CMU Ph.D

Texas A&M Ph.D

Akron Ph.D

DePaul Ph.D

Middle Tennessee State Masters

My schools were

 

Ohio

Wayne State

Colorado State

Central Michigan University

DePaul

Clemson

Texas A&M

Tulsa

Georgia

 

Interested in work-family conflict and teamwork.

 

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im currently attending TU, so if anyone is applying there PM me and I can give you more information! 

My top choices are TAMU and Penn State- I am really interested in the work of professors there, they seem like places I could see myself living, and are good schools all around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Daisy0124 said:

Im currently attending TU, so if anyone is applying there PM me and I can give you more information! 

My top choices are TAMU and Penn State- I am really interested in the work of professors there, they seem like places I could see myself living, and are good schools all around. 

I'm really interested in the Penn State program too! There is an interesting lab there, and the research of the faculty is great! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a bit torn; all the POIs I emailed were welcoming. George Mason and NC State impress me on paper, but we will see. It's funny how much of a numbers game it becomes. The I/O programs have far lower odds than the other programs I'm applying to. Best of luck to everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! I am currently in the process of applying to masters programs in I/O

I was wondering if anyone knows how competitive the masters programs in NYC are to get into? (Mainly Columbia and Baruch) 

Does anyone know anything about the Baruch program specifically?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2017 at 1:52 AM, IOhopeful11 said:

Hi! I am currently in the process of applying to masters programs in I/O

I was wondering if anyone knows how competitive the masters programs in NYC are to get into? (Mainly Columbia and Baruch) 

Does anyone know anything about the Baruch program specifically?

Not sure about any master's programs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2017 at 1:53 PM, Fitz101 said:

When do you all think we will start hearing back about interviews? 

I was looking through the old results section and it looks like some schools started notifying invitations to interview weekends as early as Jan. 13th- so we could hear back soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Daisy0124 said:

I was looking through the old results section and it looks like some schools started notifying invitations to interview weekends as early as Jan. 13th- so we could hear back soon!

Here comes the anxiety...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NC State candidate must've really impressed someone given that the app deadline was the 1st of Dec and they got an acceptance email on the 13th. My POI told me to email him in early January (when he starts to look at applications). This makes me nervous...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2017 at 3:13 PM, Sparkybob said:

I received an email from Tulsa saying I made it pass the initial cut. 21 out of the 38 applicants passed the initial hurdle. So finally some fringe good news!

Me too! Hopefully you will make it to the second hurdle and I will see you at their interview weekend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2017 at 5:09 PM, Fitz101 said:

NC State and Rice have started! There are two admissions already!! :wacko:

Thats pretty fast- I am really curious about what their app looked like! I wish I was that impressive haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Daisy0124 said:

Thats pretty fast- I am really curious about what their app looked like! I wish I was that impressive haha

The applicant from NC State messaged me. They were accepted by my POI, so it was a bit of a bummer. I'm going to message him anyway because he may be getting 2 students. Regardless, really nice person and they deserve it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone!

Could the applicant accepted by Rice DM me his/her POI? It'd be greatly appreciated!!!

Best of luck to everyone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2018 at 10:41 AM, Left Skew said:

The applicant from NC State messaged me. They were accepted by my POI, so it was a bit of a bummer. I'm going to message him anyway because he may be getting 2 students. Regardless, really nice person and they deserve it.

Did the NC student share any of his/her information? I'd be interested to know how they pulled off an acceptance so early! 

Edited by Imposter_Me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nut-ella said:

Hi everyone!

Could the applicant accepted by Rice DM me his/her POI? It'd be greatly appreciated!!!

Best of luck to everyone

I second this! Please PM me as well :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2018 at 1:45 AM, Daisy0124 said:

Me too! Hopefully you will make it to the second hurdle and I will see you at their interview weekend!

Thanks wish you the best. They aren't my top choice but in I/O psych you can't be too picky. I am still waiting for one of my professor to send a recommendation for a school that had it's deadline on December 1st...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.