Fall 2018 I/O Psy

9 hours ago, Imposter_Me said:

@Left SkewNo, but I heard this is pretty common now. We talked about it in my research lab. My professor mentioned schools were using it as a way to assess their "tier." But everyone was pretty unsure why they were doing it. It shouldn't change anything for you. I spoke with a couple of grad students who also said they were even asked this in their interviews. 

Yeah, I thought it was a bit weird. It's funny how in I/O we concern ourselves with developing valid selection measures, yet programs are asking things that may have very little logic behind them...

Just got an email from George Washington (I/O) asking for phone-interview dates.

15 minutes ago, jewelzio said:

Has anyone heard from Columbia, Ohio University, Maryland SDOS, NIU, or Penn State? I'm not sure what to expect since I haven't received any emails from these schools and most of their application deadlines were December 1st.

I haven't heard anything from Penn State!

52 minutes ago, jewelzio said:

Has anyone heard from Columbia, Ohio University, Maryland SDOS, NIU, or Penn State? I'm not sure what to expect since I haven't received any emails from these schools and most of their application deadlines were December 1st.

Ohio University had two visitation days January 26th and February 9th, I went on the 26th and they said they will be sending out offers soon after the second visitation day. Haven't heard from any of the other schools yet.

23 minutes ago, jewelzio said:

I have not heard from UMD SDOS yet. Has anyone heard from Clemson or GW?

1 hour ago, jewelzio said:

I interviewed with Maryland SDOS mid January and I am currently on my POI's waitlist. From what they told me, they will be holding an in-person visit day this month with a few select applicants. I was told by my POI that they will probably only be accepting 2 students, so this has been an extremely competitive cycle. I have not heard from Penn State (but I know someone who has) and they will be holding an interview weekend this month with all of their top applicants. These applicants have already been notified. As for Clemson, I haven't heard from them directly, but my POI did set up a phone call with one of my recommenders last week (make of that what you will).

9 hours ago, letssee said:

What did they say about their acceptance pool? Just stats? (if so would love to know those!) 

"GRE scores of 163 (Quantitative) and 159 (Verbal), an average GPA of 3.88, and substantial and relevant research experience (generally including conference presentations, manuscripts submitted for publication, and other high levels of involvement in scholarly activity)."

5 hours ago, Gradday said:

Hello,

This is not relating to application at all. However, has anyone here heard about Pymetrics?

If you have, what do you think about using that as a tool for employee screening? 

Coming from the world of psychometrics: any time you are measuring affective and behavioral constructs via self report you can tend to run into issues. I know little about pymetrics but it's marketed to measure very complex constructs (e.g., emotional intelligence) that are still very debated in the literature. My internet-self is much cooler and more intelligent, my real-self is actually a troll in s human's body; hopefully pymetrics accounts for social desirability.